Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
It's the 'justice' system racket, screwing people for money. SOMEONE has to pay for early retirement/double dipping, and 'if you're in court you are guilty, so pay those fees boy'.

Here in Ohio there is no car inspection except for emissions. There are some pretty rough cars on the road

Pete
I think you are right. I would much rather the cops pull over the dangerous drivers I see all the time. My point is for some people an old car may be all that they have for their job, which is of course very important for them.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:26 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Agreed. This is also why I'm against raising gas taxes as an emissions ploy and strongly disliked the cash for clunkers program.

Pete
Old 12-11-2014, 09:59 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Finnbow is right. Voters can ditch the cams if they lean on the local governments hard enough. We did it in Murrieta.
I'm all for the cameras myself.

I often find myself first in line at a stop light because I am one of the few drivers that actually stops when they are supposed to. But to do so I have to be real careful of the cars behind me so that I don't get rear ended because most drivers seem to think they have a GOD GIVEN RIGHT to blow through the light until at least 3-5 seconds after it turns.

And it's not poor people that are doing it either.

Some of the worst offenders are these Soccer Moms in their $40,000 SUV's.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 12-11-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post

I often find myself first in line at a stop light because I am one of the few drivers that actually stops when they are supposed to. But to do so I have to be real careful of the cars behind me so that I don't get rear ended because most drivers seem to think they have a GOD GIVEN RIGHT to blow through the light until at least 3-5 seconds after it turns.

It is the Hurry Hurry world we live in now. We had a lady move down here from a fast pace north east state that was always up peoples ass driving out the holler. Then one morning a farmer decided to start using the road to get hay from one farm to the next and there was no room to pass on the narrow road. After about a week of 1'st gear idling ( not throttled up ) slowly inching 3 miles every morning... that lady learned to leave early for work. She also got pissed and moved.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post

Actually Californians have been getting rid of them...the City of Riverside just ditched theirs after people were complaining about $500 dollar tickets for making rolling right on red turns. It was just too expensive for constituents.
I could see maybe $100 bucks for a right on red but not $500. Plus the company Redflex is Australian and people's hard earned money was going overseas as well.

Plus most cameras go up in urban areas, which tend to have a higher proportion of minorities than rural areas that do not have cameras. Should urban dwellers be more under Big Brother than rural ones?
Old 12-11-2014, 11:11 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

It happens in rural areas too...

The article is from 2011, but the cameras are still there. The way it works now is everybody does 55MPH until they reach the camera, slow to 45MPH, then speed right back to 55MPH. It's real safe!

"BLUFF CITY, Tenn. (AP) — Bluff City officials are enjoying the extra revenue from speed cameras that have generated more than a million dollars in a little over a year, but the windfall could be short-lived.

Between Jan. 1, 2010, and May 31, 2011, the cameras on U.S. Highway 11E in Piney Flats issued 39,923 citations to drivers, including now Gov. Bill Haslam, who was ticketed last year when he was caught speeding during his campaign.

The tickets netted the city nearly $1.6 million — an amount equal to eight times Bluff City's total property tax collections from the last fiscal year — during that period, according to the Bristol Herald Courier.

Read more: Bluff City officials enjoying speed camera revenue windfall | Kingsport Times-News http://www.timesnews.net/article/903...#ixzz3LbtGtC6u
Follow us: @timesnewsonline on Twitter | timesnews on Facebook"

http://www.timesnews.net/article/903...venue-windfall

Last edited by JJIII; 12-11-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:18 AM

If the rural folks lived with the same heavy hand of the law over them, there would be revolution, rather than some small riots and some burning buildings.

Local militias having bar b que fundraisers without collecting the sales tax? Take down a few, and if the treasurer refuses to cough up the money, strangle him and the board members to death.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
It's the 'justice' system racket, screwing people for money. SOMEONE has to pay for early retirement/double dipping, and 'if you're in court you are guilty, so pay those fees boy'.

Here in Ohio there is no car inspection except for emissions. There are some pretty rough cars on the road

Pete
I don't go in for emissions any more, over 70 and do under 5k miles per year.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

LMAO!! But don't they still have to check the tailpipe?

Pete
Old 12-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Resident octogenarian

Just because a car iis old it is not necessarily junk. Our two Impala LSs are 14 years old look like new and are kept in top shape.