Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
Here's a little more information on the effectiveness of shining a spotlight on Fox's motives and bias. The article certainly appears balanced, insofar as it points out the risks of the debate, and cites (some) credible sources for the criticism of the President. It also cites some interesting numbers about the price the the republican party pays for casting its lot with Rush and Ruppert.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1009/28532.html

Regards,

D-Ray
That was a fairly evenhanded article. I'd like to take this further, but with 3 hrs of sleep I'm beginning to run out of gas.

Take care,

Chas
Old 10-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That was a fairly evenhanded article. I'd like to take this further, but with 3 hrs of sleep I'm beginning to run out of gas.

Take care,

Chas
Here's a couple of reasons why I think the President's decision to engage the right-wing media is a worthwhile risk.

First, the President has had considerable success with his sometimes unconventional approach to politics. His savvy embrace of the internet culture created a new kind of grass roots network, and was a fundraising sensation.

I also saw genius in the way candidate Obama initially approached the race issue. He made a celebration of differences something bigger than black or white, talking about finding common ground in red states and white states, etc. He was able to acknowledge that he intended to break barriers with out highlighting that overcoming racial barriers was part of the task.

He has already shown that the right-wing media is willing to take the bait when he engages them. As the article pointed out, the fury of the response underscores his message that the loudest voices in the GOP are losing touch with middle America. Moreover, he is able to engage them without doing so on their turf. Although some might say that Obama is giving credibility to Ruppert and Rush by responding directly to them, it gives them less credibility than if he appeared in their studios and exchanged niceties with them.

If the risk pays off, the President can better focus the public's attention on his plans for the country than on the talk-show agenda.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 10-24-2009, 05:37 AM
Abby Normal

Ruppert should be tried for treason.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:30 AM
Resident octogenarian

I see Charles Krauthammer is against it so it must be a good idea.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Something needs to be done about Fox.

Their motives are suspect and they are clearly detrimental to the future of our country.
We need legislation that forces them to be honest when portraying themselves as a news network.

I disagree.

I would say something needs to be done about the media in general. There are time when I wonder who runs this country. The government, the people, or the media? As I see it, the tail is wagging the dog, and this is the cause for all of the confusion and misinformation floating about. Instead of reporting the news the media generates it. Oh, don't get me wrong, the two major parties have their agendas to be sure.
But more and more the fight appears to be between Rupert Murdoch and George Soros, two men who are not even citizens of this country, rather than Republican v.s. Democrat.

Our system is supposed to be a government for the people, as elected by the people to serve the interests of the people. But, somewhere along the line, the media began to manipulate, rather than report. It has been going on much longer than FOX or MSNBC have been around, but it seems to have gotten much worse with time.

The thing I get a big kick out of is this;
"I heard (Insert propaganda here.) on (Insert bullshit outlet here.) and checked it out on SNOPES. It's true!."

Really. Who owns SNOPES, and what is their bias? Well, where did you hear about it first? I heard about Snopes for the first time from----Limbaugh.
Hmmmmm.....

"History shall be very kind to me, indeed. As I intend to write it."--Winston Churchill.

Do I have my bias? Of course I do. We all do.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 10-24-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Resident octogenarian

BTW Ruppert finally did get himself sanforized as a U.S. citizen, it is getting so they will let just about anyone in.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
BTW Ruppert finally did get himself sanforized as a U.S. citizen, it is getting so they will let just about anyone in.
Gotta be especially galling to someone who earned it.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 10-25-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:54 AM
Resident octogenarian

Having done it by the rules it is a royal PITA to hear all the BS about reforming immigration laws.