Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-09-2020, 09:08 AM

IBM scraps facial recognition tool in wake of Black Lives Matter protests

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ibm-s...090156854.html

Quote:
IBM is set to make an exit from its facial recognition business after claiming that it opposes the use of the technology for mass surveillance and racial profiling.

In a letter to US Congress members, IBM’s chief executive Arvind Krishna confirmed the US firm’s shift away from facial recognition software as it looks to “advance racial equality” and encourage a responsible use of the technology.

“IBM firmly opposes and will not condone uses of any technology, including facial recognition technology offered by other vendors for mass surveillance, racial profiling, violations of basic human rights and freedoms,” he wrote.

The IBM boss also called on the US Congress to establish a “federal registry of police misconduct” to hold law enforcement to greater account.
I own a good number of IBM shares. They pay a good dividend in retirement. Glad they're taking this stance.

Last edited by Chicks; 06-09-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Martin was complicit in his own demise, but Zimmerman instigated and escalated the confrontation, and as the "adult" in the matter, should have acted responsibly. I see him as the only guilty party because of that.
I'm not comfortable arguing the details of the Martin/Zimmerman thing, but I'll throw out this generic perspective: The law is quite aware that just because someone's 18th birth day is the day after the crime, doesn't mean they see the person, when they committed the crime, as a "child". i.e. if Zimmerman had been 11 years old, I'd agree with you.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
I'm not comfortable arguing the details of the Martin/Zimmerman thing, but I'll throw out this generic perspective: The law is quite aware that just because someone's 18th birth day is the day after the crime, doesn't mean they see the person, when they committed the crime, as a "child". i.e. if Zimmerman had been 11 years old, I'd agree with you.
Martin certainly wasn't a child in many respect, but Zimmerman was the more life-experienced and assumed mature elder with the judgement and impulse control that entails. He had the adult duty to disengage before needlessly inciting Martins aggressive defence.
Martin should not have responded aggressively, but he was not the adult in the confrontation.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Martin certainly wasn't a child in many respect, but Zimmerman was the more life-experienced and assumed mature elder with the judgement and impulse control that entails. He had the adult duty to disengage before needlessly inciting Martins aggressive defence.
Martin should not have responded aggressively, but he was not the adult in the confrontation.
Absolutely. But that would be true if Martin was 18. Neither one of them was very old. For me, it is an irrelevance. It's about what someone "should have done", but there is always that aspect whenever something like this happens. Unfortunately, they don't get the luxury of hindsight like we do. They were both two young adults (I consider under 30 to be a young adult) making stupid decisions, which is what young adults actually spend a lot of time doing.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:53 PM

Why Twitter (probably) won’t do anything about Der Fuehrer's conspiratorial Buffalo protester tweet

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-t...180441285.html

Quote:
At 8:34 am on June 9, President* Donald Trump hit send on a tweet laced with innuendo and false information about an elderly protester in Buffalo, New York.

Two police officers have been charged with felony assault after pushing 75-year-old Martin Gugino to the ground in a widely circulated video where he can be seen bleeding as police officers walk by. Gugino remains hospitalized from his injuries.

Trump baselessly made a range of claims, from saying that Gugino “could be an ANTIFA provocateur” to suggesting he “fell harder than was pushed.” The president* wrapped up with the question of whether it all “[c]ould be a set up?”

In the hours following the roundly condemned tweet, CEO Jack Dorsey’s mentions were flooded with calls for action but Twitter (TWTR) has not responded.
Dorsey's a coward, just like Donny. Donny should have been shut down by Twitter long ago.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:06 PM

I live in the US. In my country there is freedom of speech. It is not limitless, but it virtually is. It's why people can call for the assassination of Trump and not go to prison. I like that people are given free speech, including the president. Sometimes they bring important ideas to the table that you may not have considered. And other times they expose what a nincompoop they are. Both have value.
Old 06-09-2020, 02:14 PM

No, Twitter is not violating Der Fuehrer's freedom of speech

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...reedom-speech/

For those ignorant enough to believe this is a "freedom of speech" issue.
Old 06-09-2020, 04:05 PM

California legislative leaders back state 'sleeper hold' ban

https://www.kcra.com/article/califor...d-ban/32804706

Quote:
California's Assembly speaker and other key lawmakers on Monday backed making it illegal statewide for police to use a type of neck hold that blocks the flow of blood to the brain, a proposal that appears to go beyond any other state.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:02 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
I live in the US. In my country there is freedom of speech. It is not limitless, but it virtually is. It's why people can call for the assassination of Trump and not go to prison. I like that people are given free speech, including the president. Sometimes they bring important ideas to the table that you may not have considered. And other times they expose what a nincompoop they are. Both have value.
You are smart enough to know that constitutional freedom of speech means the government cannot censor you. It has nothing to do with whether a private message service can censor you. For the private entity, controlling their content is an aspect of their own freedom of speech, or of the press.

Posts like this are why I question your sincerity.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:37 PM

Minneapolis police slashed tires of cars parked near George Floyd protests

https://nypost.com/2020/06/09/police...olis-protests/