Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:12 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisTAnimal View Post
No, healthcare is not a right. It is a responsibility for each individual, not big daddy government, My, the Liberals are dense as bricks when it comes to individual liberty.
You are the dense one Boris. This nation's greatest natural resource is its people so any halfway intelligent nation looks after its resources. However thanks to idiotic people like yourself we squander our resources. And in the process spend twice as much on healthcare as any other industrialized nation and get third world results.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:55 AM
Ready

Quote:
No, healthcare is not a right. It is a responsibility for each individual, not big daddy government, My, the Liberals are dense as bricks when it comes to individual liberty.
Sorry, you do make me feel dense this morning.

The issue, at bottom, is whether we should have government programs to guarantee health care to everyone, or not.

You frame the affirmative as some kind of violation of individual liberty. What freedom are you losing if there are government programs to guarantee health care to everyone? The freedom to go blind if you can't afford surgery to prevent it, for example? The freedom to stay home and die rather than seek care if you're strapped for cash?

This is of course ridiculous, most people would regard the ability to not die, or go blind, as the sort of thing that represents freedom, that is, the lack of duress in one's life.

Now what vital liberty do you want to preserve, at the expense of the ability to live and be well?
Old 05-21-2015, 08:45 AM

Medical care is not the place for economic Darwinism.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2015, 08:53 AM

Maybe this the type of freedom envisioned in the Republican concept.

""Parents living 'off the grid' with 10 children plead not guilty to criminal charges""

http://www.wave3.com/story/29042287/...iminal-charges

Barney
Old 05-21-2015, 09:12 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Not really my style, but this Red State stuff is pretty much rampant around here and my home state, and I seldom get a chance to respond to it. Living in an echo chamber full of this smuggery is a trial, and I joined PC as an outlet for the reaction.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, not quite as red as much of the state, but seeing as how I'm only two miles from the Pat Robertson Cult Compound, I am surrounded by the "smuggery" you refer too. Nothing quite as wonderful as being told that the "Holy Ghost" sends hurricanes to punish us for the actions of a few "sodomites" by someone who is utterly convinced YOU are the one who's crazy.

They think we are intolerant, because we don't want such brainwashed lunatics running the government. I think we are incredibly tolerant of their silly bullshit. They spout it all day long and we haven't shoved a single one of them into the rubber room....................

Dave
Old 05-21-2015, 09:14 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post

""Parents living 'off the grid' with 10 children plead not guilty to criminal charges""

Barney
OMG, those poor parents are being "oppressed" by the government! Where has our respect for their personal liberty gone?

Jesus Christ.............(Pun intended.)

Dave
Old 05-21-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post

Barney
A very effective way to suppress votes.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:36 AM
Area Man

Let's see; They consider themselves "off the grid" because they generate their own electricity and have no municipal water connection?

Yet, they use the internet, which was originally developed by the Department of Defense and has been monitored by the NSA for over a decade, now. (AFAIK)

They have also been using tap water that they get from neighbors.

You know, I have a family member who tried this. It didn't work. People do it, but, it's a very hard way to go. In fact, he and his idiot wife ended up on food stamps and welfare. As it turns out, no one will hire you if you stink because your house has no water and taking "showers" from a jug of water that you stole from your neighbors tap doesn't work very well. Oh, and the neighbors get tired of you mooching or stealing their water. Digging a well with a shovel is a LOT of work. Then, there is the fact that ignorant, paranoid morons "free schooling" their kids just leads to a second generation of ignorant, paranoid morons. Then, there are the issues that stem from raising farm animals in an area not zoned for agricultural use, in a totally inappropriate manor.......(Picture a couple dozen Turkeys living in the basement, goats in a spare bedroom and pigs wandering loose in the neighborhood.............Seriously.).............. ......

Well, you get the picture.

The Amish (for example) pull it off to a large degree, but they have their own internal form of government and societal structure that seems to work well for them, that is not really an example of purely individual self sufficiency. It is collectivist in nature. They DO rely on each others assistance for survival.

No man is an island.

Dave
Old 05-21-2015, 10:51 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
The Amish (for example) pull it off to a large degree, but they have their own internal form of government and societal structure that seems to work well for them, that is not really an example of purely individual self sufficiency. It is collectivist in nature. They DO rely on each others assistance for survival.

No man is an island.

Dave
We bought our barn from the Amish and three of them came along after it was delivered to level it. Very decent young men and very pleasant to work with.

So you like John Donne too.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:08 PM
Admin

Quote:
You really should stop listening to Michael Savage and that mordidly obese and corpulent drug addict Rush Limpballs, Boris. You sound like a garden variety tea drenched moron.

Here's some reading, if you're even capable of reading at a sixth grade level - http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...nched/?hpid=z3