Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-22-2015, 04:24 PM
Persona non grata

Errors and Lies

As much as some would like to "move on" I'm not ready to. Why?

Because there is no statute of limitations on War Crimes, that's why. And Bush, Cheney, and at least a couple of dozen high ranking members of the Bush Administration who were Architects of the Iraq War are, as far as I am concerned, War Criminals and should be tried as such.

Quote:
Surprise! It turns out that there’s something to be said for having the brother of a failed president make his own run for the White House. Thanks to Jeb Bush, we may finally have the frank discussion of the Iraq invasion we should have had a decade ago.

But many influential people — not just Mr. Bush — would prefer that we not have that discussion. There’s a palpable sense right now of the political and media elite trying to draw a line under the subject. Yes, the narrative goes, we now know that invading Iraq was a terrible mistake, and it’s about time that everyone admits it. Now let’s move on.

Well, let’s not — because that’s a false narrative, and everyone who was involved in the debate over the war knows that it’s false. The Iraq war wasn’t an innocent mistake, a venture undertaken on the basis of intelligence that turned out to be wrong. America invaded Iraq because the Bush administration wanted a war. The public justifications for the invasion were nothing but pretexts, and falsified pretexts at that. We were, in a fundamental sense, lied into war.

continued
Old 05-22-2015, 04:54 PM

May sound good TJ, but no can do. Unless someone can prove that the administration willfully manipulated the evidence presented to the Congress, we are SOL.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:01 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
May sound good TJ, but no can do. Unless someone can prove that the administration willfully manipulated the evidence presented to the Congress, we are SOL.
It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that they lied.

But they will never be held accountable for it.

Because the truth is, the only way a war criminal is going to face the music is if their side loses the war.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
It's obvious to anyone with half a brain that they lied.

But they will never be held accountable for it.

Because the truth is, the only way a war criminal is going to face the music is if their side loses the war.
I was opposed to the Iraq war from the very beginning simply because democracy does not work in that world, only monarchies and dictatorships do.

The lie must propagate, otherwise how else can the right blame Obama for ISIS or justify increase in military spending. Already there is talk about ending the budget sequestration of 2013 which at least kept the military spending in check.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:55 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
I was opposed to the Iraq war from the very beginning simply because democracy does not work in that world, only monarchies and dictatorships do.
I was primarily opposed because my oldest son had graduated from the Army's Q course just a few months before 9/11 and I knew he would be sent over there, which he was, five tours worth, while at the same time I knew that not one of the Bush Administration's architects of the war would have their kid in harms way.

But then that's just the way it is.

I went to Vietnam while Bush's daddy got him a ticket punching slot in the Texas National Guard and Dick Cheney had "other priorities".
Well gee whiz, I had other priorities too, but my draft board didn't give a shit.

Fucking bastards always get someone elses kids to fight their wars.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 05-22-2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:58 PM

Billions on MIC, pittance for the Soldiers.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:13 PM

This one is worth reading:

George W. Bush's CIA Briefer: Bush and Cheney Falsely Presented WMD Intelligence to Public

Carl
Old 05-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Ready

Quote:
The public justifications for the invasion were nothing but pretexts, and falsified pretexts at that.
Yes! But no one wanted to hear that then, and there's no one with power who wants to say it now.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:37 PM

O'bummer could since he did not vote for the Iraq war. So what's stopping him?
Think it would hurt Hillary if he were to dredge up old facts? Since GW has now entered the fray, at the very least he could say, "No, Bush created ISIS" and this would start a frenzy on Fox by the POTUS wannabees.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Yes! But no one wanted to hear that then, and there's no one with power who wants to say it now.
Nevertheless, their lies were transparent to anyone who cared to consider them objectively. Bush/Cheney played the whole country. They used an attack on the "Homeland" (Look up "Heimat".) to stoke fear, paranoia and a healthy dose of racism in the populace until we were ready to swallow anything and cheer any actions of the government that would provide temporary relief from our carefully nurtured sense of powerlessness.