Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
Ever watch the history channel stuff on vietnam, with the US troops dicking around with Charlie, or his skulls, etc..... Some of them collected ears, and most all came back with some gold teeth. Back in the wars we actually one, we did everything possible to instill fear in our enemies, never did we try to play kissy face, and be "nice". How about we just kill them all and let God sort them out, then we don't have to worry about any of them getting upset with the US.
Simple question. Did this help or hurt our cause there?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 PM

The Marines forgot for a moment they were representing the USA. But as one who never witnessed combat and the adrenalin from ones life being on the line. I think all kinds of ugly things happen in wartime. PERIOD!
I think it will be handled by those who will cover it up as much as possible. This did not happen in a vacuum, just like Abu Ghraib in Iraq. The lower the rank the more guilty one was and the same will be true here would be my guess.

Barney
Old 01-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bill View Post
Finn, cause ? what is your cause ?

I can see that you have never been in combat. Ounce you see a comrade die in your arms, perhaps you might understand.

Beside, I have it on the highest authority, that someone placed these dead enemy combatants over the camp latrine, and our Marines really had to piss badly.

It might upset the indigenous people if we pissed on their sacred ground.

It better for your enemy to fear and hate you more than their commanders, knowing you have no need to keep them alive, and are more than happy to send them to the rewards they desire.

Bill
Yawn....

FWIW, I spent the first 38 years of my life surrounded by the U.S. Army, here and abroad (Army brat and Dept. of Army Civilian for 20 years). I've personally supervised military officers and written their OER's. My exposure to the Army (and Air Force) over nearly 4 decades has left me with a pretty clear view of our military. I don't engage in hero worship and I'll call 'em like I see 'em.

BTW, the NATO Commander on the ground agrees with me on this. He's right and you're wrong.

Last edited by finnbow; 01-12-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 PM

so, conversely, it would be acceptable behavior for jihadists to piss in the WTC memorial pool at Ground Zero and have photos and vid clips taken to be sent home for inbred idiots in their homelands to mentally masturbate their walter mitty
bloodlust, eh? this wouldn't even involve desecrating the remains of combat dead, right?

wake the fuck up, guys. you're way beyond the pale on this one
Old 01-12-2012, 10:13 PM

A quarter of the worlds population is Muslim. What do you think makes them radical? How many are we gonna kill?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Finn,

What is our cause ?

Our cause is to kill every enemy combatant that we can find. It is to destroy the radical Muslim element in Afganastan, and anywhere else that we might find them. Our cause is to protect America There, instead of Here.
Agreed, but you're missing the point. I personally don't care a whit about whether or not a bunch of dead Taliban get pissed upon. However, I do care whether or not our forces succeed enough in their larger mission so we can get out of there one of these days with as few US casualties as possible. This doesn't help.

I think such reflexive "defend the troops no matter what they do" silliness is both misinformed and counterproductive to the ultimate success of our forces.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 PM

So, is there no line that the soldiers can't cross? Anything goes if they are in uniform?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:34 PM

The Marines were wrong to do what they did and will be punished that is for sure. But there are dirty little secrets in any war that has and will always be true. I just think we arm chair generals feel one way at home in front of a computer. Now it might be a totally different take if we we to be in combat. Or had a loved one hurt or killed by the enemy.

So until all the facts are out to see, if they ever are I remain open minded.

This was a very disrespectful act against the dead. I don't know how a Muslim will view this, but would guess it would be with discuss. Do we even know the status of the dead? Were they outsiders to the area and the locals also hated them? Or were they locals killed? Had any Marines been hurt?

Barney
Old 01-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Jigsawed

Erwin Rommel, Desert fox, nazi general, always treat his prisoners well.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:46 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Spoken with the voice of a true politician.

There is absolutely nothing that we can ever do to make our enemy hate us any more than they do.
But there are things we can do that drive young impressionable Afghans into the arms of the Taliban fighters or strengthen the resolve of the Taliban to never lay down their arms.

Are you being deliberately obtuse? Do you really defend this behavior, both morally and tactically?