Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:13 AM
reflexionar

I don't have any military styled weapons, but I have a couple friends with AR15's. They are both wishing they had sold theirs several months back when they shot up in price. They are cool and fun to shoot, but pretty impractical for the average guy. Yes, you can hunt with them, but I would rather use my Remington 7mm for that. I have a Ruger 10/22 that I can dress up with a kit if I want a military style look. 22LR are cheaper than 223 rounds also. I have a Marlin 1894 .357 lever action rifle that is also fun to shoot when I want to throw away money on ammo.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
I'm thinking more like deer is what he's hunting.

You like those stick powders, Chas? I always found them to be a PITA. Preferred the ball powders.
Been using the same load for my .25-06 for 30 yrs. Always liked it, don't see any need to change it.

Since I weigh my charges, stick or ball doesn't too much matter to me.

Chas
Old 11-03-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpholland View Post
I don't have any military styled weapons, but I have a couple friends with AR15's. They are both wishing they had sold theirs several months back when they shot up in price. They are cool and fun to shoot, but pretty impractical for the average guy. Yes, you can hunt with them, but I would rather use my Remington 7mm for that. I have a Ruger 10/22 that I can dress up with a kit if I want a military style look. 22LR are cheaper than 223 rounds also. I have a Marlin 1894 .357 lever action rifle that is also fun to shoot when I want to throw away money on ammo.
I took an old junker 10-22 and installed one of those Hogue stock/A&B target barrel kits on it. Along with a Power Custom hammer/sear kit, Tasco 3x9x40 WC scope I had lying around, and Weaver steel rings. Also drilled and tapped the trigger guard, and installed a set screw for over travel. Figure I've got $400 in it including the sling and swivels.

With Wolf Target, it will put 10 rnds in 5/8" @ 50 yds. Consistently. I think if I were to ditch the Tasco and put a Banner 4x12x40 AO on it, like I've got on my .17HMR, I could shrink that down a bit. The Tasco is kind of fuzzy up close.

I'll take an accurate rifle over a fake AR any day.

Chas
Old 11-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...d_story_1.html

"As described to AP, the note appeared to contain terms and references often found in messages from antigovernment fringe groups. One of the terms was “fiat currency,” AP said. The letters NWO also were used, in apparent reference to “New World Order,” a term used by groups claiming the existence of global conspiracies." WaPo

Sounds like some sort deranged dupe who listens to Alex Jones.
Really, Bob? Are you sure he wasn't an LGBT advocate with a "Save the Whales" bumper sticker on his Prius? He wasn't out to shoot every NRA member he saw?
Old 11-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I took an old junker 10-22 and installed one of those Hogue stock/A&B target barrel kits on it. Along with a Power Custom hammer/sear kit, Tasco 3x9x40 WC scope I had lying around, and Weaver steel rings. Also drilled and tapped the trigger guard, and installed a set screw for over travel. Figure I've got $400 in it including the sling and swivels.

With Wolf Target, it will put 10 rnds in 5/8" @ 50 yds. Consistently. I think if I were to ditch the Tasco and put a Banner 4x12x40 AO on it, like I've got on my .17HMR, I could shrink that down a bit. The Tasco is kind of fuzzy up close.

I'll take an accurate rifle over a fake AR any day.

Chas
If it's the same "Tasco" that attempts to make telescopes, it's garbage.

I've always been more of a Celestron guy, myself and only 4" and above at that. Anything less and all your doing is looking at the moon. Now, if I were to hit the lottery, I'd go for an AstroPhysics. A friend of mine had a 6" AP refractor.......amazing clarity.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
If it's the same "Tasco" that attempts to make telescopes, it's garbage.

I've always been more of a Celestron guy, myself and only 4" and above at that. Anything less and all your doing is looking at the moon. Now, if I were to hit the lottery, I'd go for an AstroPhysics. A friend of mine had a 6" AP refractor.......amazing clarity.
I'm not much of a Tasco fan, but their Offshore 7x50 glasses I keep in my boat are pretty good. They've been abused for years and have never fogged. They're not Steiners, but I wouldn't leave a set of Steiners laying around in my boat...getting rained on and kicked around.

If you want to talk about junk optics, let's talk about BSA.

Chas
Old 11-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I'm not much of a Tasco fan, but their Offshore 7x50 glasses I keep in my boat are pretty good. They've been abused for years and have never fogged. They're not Steiners, but I wouldn't leave a set of Steiners laying around in my boat...getting rained on and kicked around.

If you want to talk about junk optics, let's talk about BSA.

Chas
Like any other brand, Tasco makes cheap junk as well as some decent stuff. Not long ago, a very fine sniper scope carried the Tasco brand and their World Class Plus garnered some pretty decent reviews for a modestly priced line. They aren't Leopolds or Swarovskis, but then again you don't need to mortgage your house to buy one. FWIW, I have Leopolds on all of my centerfire rifles, but my rimfires, muzzleloaders and slug guns have a mixture of Bushnell, Swift, Tasco and Simmons on them. Swift may be the best of the low cost scopes I have.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:31 PM
Resident octogenarian

Just picked up a pair of Bushnell 5X and 10X field glasses, rather impressive.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Been using the same load for my .25-06 for 30 yrs. Always liked it, don't see any need to change it.

Since I weigh my charges, stick or ball doesn't too much matter to me.

Chas
My hunting rounds and the likes I weigh. It still can be a pain to get that stick powder though the loader. I don't have thirty years of experience though.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Really, Bob? Are you sure he wasn't an LGBT advocate with a "Save the Whales" bumper sticker on his Prius? He wasn't out to shoot every NRA member he saw?
Yeh. What am I thinking? Probably just another uber patriotic Uhmerican standing up for his right not to have his tiny junk looked at by some latino TSA agent in Los Angeles.