Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Pence should have followed Jan Brewer's lead and vetoed the bill.
Makes it pretty clear how bad Mike Pence is. We have a place in a little town in NW Indiana. Over the years there have been times when close to half the members of the resident's association board are gay or lesbian. There's this strip of communities running along the south and southeastern of Lake Michigan from eastern Porter County all the way up to Saugatuk MI, which have been gay and lesbian friendly for decades. The rest of Indiana and most of Michigan might as well be in Kansas.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:22 AM
Admin

Good news, #boycottIndiana is trending. The NCAA is threatening to boycott and business leaders from all over the country are exerting pressure on Gov. Pence.

Good! Someone needs to tell the 'thumpers' to keep their noses out of the public realm.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Ready

Except Pence can't veto it after he signed it. The legislature has to give him something else to sign before he can do anything.

This goes to the courts now.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:30 PM
Admin

So, if a LGBT couple want to stay at a B & B in Indiana and they could be turned away because the owner has some sort of religious objection, how is that any different from the discrimination suffered by Mary and Joseph when they were turned away by an innkeeper on Christmas eve?

Can someone 'splain this to me?
Old 03-30-2015, 12:38 PM
Rational Anarchist

^^^

IIRC they forgot to make reservations and all the rooms were occupied.

Last edited by nailer; 03-30-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
^^^

Biblical scholar too?
Old 03-30-2015, 01:01 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer View Post
^^^

So they say....
Old 03-30-2015, 01:05 PM
Ready

Sure. The guy in Bethlehem was out of room. Your B&B guys are just acting out of fear and loathing.

It is fear and loathing. You can't tell me it says anywhere in the Bible that although everyone sins, 'thou shalt refuse accommodations to certain sorts of sinners.'

The First Commandment says 'Though shalt have no other Gods before Me.' That's the FIRST COMMANDMENT, but I don't hear anyone agitating for the right to exclude, say, Druids or Hindus.

So. The sacred religious right they are protecting is not the right to not want their principles flouted--other sorts of flouting are completely tolerable. It's the right to act out of fear and loathing--in a word, out of hate.
Old 03-31-2015, 12:54 AM
Area Man

I wonder if governor Pence will be joining the Westboro freaks on a street corner, proudly sporting his "God Hates Fags" t-shirt?
Old 03-31-2015, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
So, if a LGBT couple want to stay at a B & B in Indiana and they could be turned away because the owner has some sort of religious objection, how is that any different from the discrimination suffered by Mary and Joseph when they were turned away by an innkeeper on Christmas eve?

Can someone 'splain this to me?
All sorts of scenarios that make this utterly ridiculous. In health care, the anesthesiologist refuses to do his/her job because he has religious objections to the procedure being performed. We already have state licensed pharmacists who don't have to fill prescriptions if they don't feel like it, for certain meds that are used, or even can be used, as birth control. Then we'll have the Christian Scientist pharmacist who won't write any prescriptions at all. Silly? Of course. But this thing...it's fucking nuts. Just do your job, all aspects of the job you're licensed for, or you lose your license.

Pence was interviewed by Stephanopolis on ABC This Week and he went after Pence pretty hard. Yesterday morning FOX's Brett Baier was on a WLS radio talk show and he admitted that Pence "...did not do a very good job...", and that this was the general sentiment around the FOX newsroom.