Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:30 PM

I live in Ohio on 2 acres out in the country where its peace and quiet, great neighbors and no crime or drama. It can be a little slow from time to time but its very relaxing and I am one hour away from Pitts and Cleve so fun is not far away. I grew up in Cleve burbs and dont think I could go back full time but love to vist, go to concerts and events.
I made it to see Cleve Orchestra a few times this year, a couple Operas and some Jazz also. My next big event is Govt Mule Feb 2 at House of Blues and I am friends with Devon Allman (Gregs son and leader of band HoneyTribe) and looks like I am gonna get to meet Warren and the gang from Mule. Thats gonna be a great show!
Lake Erie is great for fishing and boating, other than winter its a great area to be in.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writewing View Post
I live in Ohio on 2 acres out in the country where its peace and quiet, great neighbors and no crime or drama. It can be a little slow from time to time but its very relaxing and I am one hour away from Pitts and Cleve so fun is not far away. I grew up in Cleve burbs and dont think I could go back full time but love to vist, go to concerts and events.
I made it to see Cleve Orchestra a few times this year, a couple Operas and some Jazz also. My next big event is Govt Mule Feb 2 at House of Blues and I am friends with Devon Allman (Gregs son and leader of band HoneyTribe) and looks like I am gonna get to meet Warren and the gang from Mule. Thats gonna be a great show!
Lake Erie is great for fishing and boating, other than winter its a great area to be in.
An hour from Cleve and Pitt? Sounds like my old stomping grounds.

Dave
Old 01-18-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
An hour from Cleve and Pitt? Sounds like my old stomping grounds.

Dave
Salem Ohio.....familiar to you?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writewing View Post
Salem Ohio.....familiar to you?
Yep. Newton Falls............familiar to you?

Dave
Old 01-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Resident octogenarian

We lived in Columbia when I first came down, the street names there will make you chuckle.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
We lived in Columbia when I first came down, the street names there will make you chuckle.
Yeah, Rouse hired "The Name Lady" to name all those streets. One person was responsible for all that.

One of my faves is Pale Orchis Court. Orchis can mean either "orchid" or "testicle".

Columbia was the first place I moved to after I got out of the Army. It was still quite young at the time and it was interesting to watch it grow.

John
Old 01-19-2010, 08:23 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Yeah, Rouse hired "The Name Lady" to name all those streets. One person was responsible for all that.

One of my faves is Pale Orchis Court. Orchis can mean either "orchid" or "testicle".

Columbia was the first place I moved to after I got out of the Army. It was still quite young at the time and it was interesting to watch it grow.

John
Florence moved there when it was quite new, when I met her she was living on "Melting Shadows Lane" which was actually a closed court.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:45 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

It just seems that we here are really lucky and blessed.

I complain about my little house but love my neighbors (which of course makes the neighborhood) and my 'big' yard. Which is smallish but a darn sight better than 30 x 100! (inner ring suburb size). I can no longer smell my neighbors farts

I'm out far enough to have wild turkeys fox coyotes big woodpeckers hawks etc. And the white tailed rats

One of the reasons my neighbors suit me is they all come from the old neighborhoods, 'real' people.

I still love the city, and I used to love driving through the old steel mills (can't anymore ). Reminds me of 'fool for the city'.

And winter, I could do without the grey 99% of the time but the beautiful blue mornings are another matter. I don't think I'd be happy in warmer climes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
but Congress could convince me otherwise.
They're sure got me thinking about it!

Pete
Old 01-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I still love the city, and I used to love driving through the old steel mills (can't anymore ). Reminds me of 'fool for the city'.
Pete

Ah, the "old mills".......Takes me back to the 1970's. When I was in highschool some of the old mills were still operating in Youngstown and Warren. Even after the closings that occured from the late '70s through the '80s, it was still something to drive through and look at them. I don't know why, Pete. What was it for you? The immensity? The memories of better days?

I remember driving down Route 5 towards Newton Falls, and as we passed the vocational school, to our left was the Copperweld Mill, a massive structure with a railyard full of trains and all four stacks belching smoke into the sky. My friend asked me to pull over for a minute and stop. "Okay, so what's all of this about?" I asked. "You see that? That's what built this country, Dave." He was right. It was. And I still think we could have found a better way to deal with the problems our industry had------simply letting it fail has left us with NOTHING.

When I'm in N.F. I still see some of the "old timers" and WW2 era guys that worked the mills, and think of what giants they were to this "young fella". Just like the once mighty mills themselves, the men have grown old and tired. And more of them disappear every day.

May God Bless them.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 01-19-2010 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Area Man

Holy Cow, you guys have some nice spreads!
Makes me too embarrassed to post any pics.

Dave