Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Abby Normal

Tort reform

Last year Texas passed a law that says (roughly) if you bring a suit that is thrown out of court because it was without merit, you're obligated to pay all the defendant's fees. - It's a Republican introduced law.

Thoughts?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:33 AM

Bad. Who decides on the merits? The judge..... the elected judge.

John
Old 06-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Loyal Opposition

I'd have to see the law. In most jurisdictions, one who brings a frivolous lawsuit (or asserts a frivolous defense) is subject to paying the opponent's fees. Simply losing or failing to state a sustainable claim do not make the claim frivolous. If the statute merely codifies that law, I have no problem with it. If not, I do have a problem with it, because it chills access to the courts. Many people who suffer a legal wrong have no funds to afford their own lawyer, much less the fees of a defense lawyer. Under this law, it encourages people to lump it or take the risk of financial ruin (if the defendant's conduct hasn't already caused it).

If the statute makes simply losing a basis for paying the defendant's fees, it is another law that disadvantages the middle class. One who has no assets has nothing to risk by pursuing a claim, because he or she would be essentially judgment proof. On the other hand, those who have modest assets do face great risk in asserting a right. I have won cases I didn't think I would win, and lost cases I thought I would win. There is always some element of uncertainty in litigation. Businesses will often have insurance to pay the fees for the defense of most claims. The individual - not so likely.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
I'd have to see the law. In most jurisdictions, one who brings a frivolous lawsuit (or asserts a frivolous defense) is subject to paying the opponent's fees. Simply losing or failing to state a sustainable claim do not make the claim frivolous. If the statute merely codifies that law, I have no problem with it. If not, I do have a problem with it, because it chills access to the courts. Many people who suffer a legal wrong have no funds to afford their own lawyer, much less the fees of a defense lawyer. Under this law, it encourages people to lump it or take the risk of financial ruin (if the defendant's conduct hasn't already caused it).

If the statute makes simply losing a basis for paying the defendant's fees, it is another law that disadvantages the middle class. One who has no assets has nothing to risk by pursuing a claim, because he or she would be essentially judgment proof. On the other hand, those who have modest assets do face great risk in asserting a right. I have won cases I didn't think I would win, and lost cases I thought I would win. There is always some element of uncertainty in litigation. Businesses will often have insurance to pay the fees for the defense of most claims. The individual - not so likely.

Regards,

D-Ray
This post is exactly why I love you guys here at political chat.

So much thought and knowledge available for the asking.

Thanks Don
Old 06-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I'd have to see the law. In most jurisdictions, one who brings a frivolous lawsuit (or asserts a frivolous defense) is subject to paying the opponent's fees. Simply losing or failing to state a sustainable claim do not make the claim frivolous. If the statute merely codifies that law, I have no problem with it. If not, I do have a problem with it, because it chills access to the courts...
Yep. Those will frivolous, "Hail Mary" lawsuits won't show up as often.

While I understand the trial lawyers and the left's (and your) argument, I do think our system is pretty screwy. Having lived in Germany, where the loser pays legal fees (as is true most everywhere outside the US, I believe), there are certainly far fewer lawsuits from people who walk around with chips on their shoulders, aggrieved about everything and searching for someone with deep pockets to relieve their misery.

That said, the last place I'd look for an intelligent answer to this mess would be Texas (along with Arizona and South Carolina).
Old 06-26-2012, 11:32 AM

I would like to see a law passed, that would make the Lawyer or lawfirm responsible for the legal fees of people that they sue, should he or she loose the case.

All to many layers today will take cases where their fees will only be paid if and when a settlement is reached. And due to the extremely expensive cost of defending oneself, many try to settle out of court, even when they know that they are not responsible or guilty of the charges of the lawsuit.

I believe that if lawyers would be responsible for the defendants expenses if they loose the case, lawyers would only accept cases that they were convinced had merit, and a strong chance of winning. This would help reduce the courts overload, and put an end to many frivolous lawsuits.

It would also help those sued by government, as it would help the defendant prevent total financial ruin even if they win the case.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:43 AM
Loyal Opposition

Everybody hates lawyers - until they need one.

I might win a case, or I might not, but I never loose one.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 06-26-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:

Regards,

D-Ray

My post was not intended for you D-Ray,

Lawyers are greatly needed and appreciated for their outstanding knowledge of law !

It is just that those that take cases that they know have no merit, with hopes of settling them out of court, that I find offensive.

Finding a good lawyer is like finding a good dentist, you may not enjoy seeing them, but your very happy the have them when you need them :roll eyes:
Old 06-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Resident octogenarian

Well that one sailed right over . . .
Old 06-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

Regards,

D-Ray
I have no issues with lawyers (other than politicians and ambulance-chasers). However, I do have some issues with the legal system in which they work.