Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I think you would've felt right at home for part of our camping trip Tom. We took a detour through a place called Orange Cove in the central valley. Miles and miles of orange and lemon groves in full bloom. It was spectacular man. The fragrance was out of this world.
It would bring back childhood memories of smelling the Orange Blossoms again.

Most of the groves around here are long gone.

Been turned into subdivisions and strip commercial.
Old 05-06-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
I just wonder if man could live on a mile thickness of ice? Could we?
Sure we could. But for how long? Same as with global warming. Could we live with a 5 degree increase in our temperature. Sure, but for how long. Lots of thing are not capable of adapting to that change. When they die off the entire ecosystem then collapses.

So for how long is the question..........
Old 05-06-2014, 08:50 PM

Colorado, at least for the last few years, seams to be getting the better end of the deal. We have had slightly milder winters, but more precipitation. The mountains are packed full of snow our source, (and phoenix, and other major southern towns) through the summer. Our reservoirs are full too.

Summers have been a bit warmer too, but just slightly. Again, a little more moisture too.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Sure we could. But for how long? Same as with global warming. Could we live with a 5 degree increase in our temperature. Sure, but for how long. Lots of thing are not capable of adapting to that change. When they die off the entire ecosystem then collapses.

So for how long is the question..........
How would we eat? How would we drink water? How would we not be hypothermic.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:11 PM

I posted very recently that I have a kid brother looking into this. He has been for many years. His view is very grim. 2-5 years and we'll be in serious trouble. Inside of 15, life will no longer exist on this planet.

I have questioned him thoroughly to get answers as to why. His answers are lucid and make sense. I do not have enough confidence to endorse his opinion. But, nor do I have enough to dismiss it. I am worried he may be right.

He talks about "feedback" loops. Once they start, there will be no way to stop them. An example would be the warming of the ocean. It expands, it will not hold as much co2, thus the environment changes even more rapidly, the ocean wars some more, and so on. There were several others he talked about.

I think we will know in the next 2-3 years what the affects of global warming are and will be.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Colorado, at least for the last few years, seams to be getting the better end of the deal. We have had slightly milder winters, but more precipitation. The mountains are packed full of snow our source, (and phoenix, and other major southern towns) through the summer. Our reservoirs are full too.

Summers have been a bit warmer too, but just slightly. Again, a little more moisture too.
Cal has been like spring all year round at least in the bay area. We did have a week or so of a cold snap at xmass.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
I posted very recently that I have a kid brother looking into this. He has been for many years. His view is very grim. 2-5 years and we'll be in serious trouble. Inside of 15, life will no longer exist on this planet.

I have questioned him thoroughly to get answers as to why. His answers are lucid and make sense. I do not have enough confidence to endorse his opinion. But, nor do I have enough to dismiss it. I am worried he may be right.

He talks about "feedback" loops. Once they start, there will be no way to stop them. An example would be the warming of the ocean. It expands, it will not hold as much co2, thus the environment changes even more rapidly, the ocean wars some more, and so on. There were several others he talked about.

I think we will know in the next 2-3 years what the affects of global warming are and will be.
I know I saw your post. We can worry about everything around us if we want. It's not healthy only taking in negativity, you know what I mean? Your awfully positive and should get your brother thinking about other things like enjoying the life we have now. Pardon my language but we can mind fuck ourselves into believing everything and anything. Even if things that are not in our control evolve or happen don't through away what good times and family that are present. Be prepared alert and observing but don't OD on any doom and gloom scenario.

Just a tip
Old 05-07-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
I know I saw your post. We can worry about everything around us if we want. It's not healthy only taking in negativity, you know what I mean? Your awfully positive and should get your brother thinking about other things like enjoying the life we have now. Pardon my language but we can mind fuck ourselves into believing everything and anything. Even if things that are not in our control evolve or happen don't through away what good times and family that are present. Be prepared alert and observing but don't OD on any doom and gloom scenario.

Just a tip
Good morning and I hope you have a great day!

Believe me, I have tried really hard to change his perspective. I really do think he has some sort of mental illness. I have had no luck. He has lived with me for more than a year and I haven't scratched the surface of his negativity.

Agreed too, even if his assessment were true, why would you want to mope around in deep despair for you last days??
Old 05-07-2014, 07:19 AM
Area Man

We could all move to Mars............
Old 05-07-2014, 07:28 AM
Mutated Member

Quote:
I don't think I would like to go to Europe,Europeans are not my cup of tea.
Do not ignore the

German beer

German girls

German Autobahn

!!!