Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Defense Spending

While the Fools on the Hill debate about how to cut $5 or $61 Billion, DoD is frittering away hundreds of billions on unneeded weapons systems. Check out this graphic on how the Military/Industrial Complex is the problem, not NPR or school teachers.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ondoggles.html

What do you think is the likelihood of major cutbacks or cancellation of these programs. IMHO, Star Wars should have been canceled long ago, but somehow it's an article of faith to the GOP. With such an anti-science bent, I often wonder WTF is the basis of their support for Star Wars (other than corporate welfare for the Defense Industry).

Last edited by finnbow; 03-12-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
While the Fools on the Hill debate about how to cut $5 or $61 Billion, DoD is frittering away hundreds of billions on unneeded weapons systems. Check out this graphic on how the Military/Industrial Complex is the problem, not NPR or school teachers.

What do you think is the likelihood of major cutbacks or cancellation of these programs. IMHO, Star Wars should have been canceled long ago, but somehow it's an article of faith to the GOP. With such an anti-science bent, I often wonder WTF is the basis of their support for Star Wars (other than corporate welfare for the Defense Industry).
The hell with it Finn.

Let's just build the "Doomsday Device", elect me President, and put me on the 6:00 news slamming a half empty whiskey bottle on my desk real close to the "Big Red Button".

Reckon folks would make the connection?

Chas
Old 03-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

And to think our enemies are fighting us with box cutters, AK-47's and IED's and they've kept us at bay for nearly a decade. Maybe they'll throw in the towel if we tell them that we finally got Star Wars to work.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Area Man

Quote:

Yep. I believe someone here once said, "I'm pretty sure we'll choose to expand the empire and starve the people." Oh, that was me.

Watch what happens.

Try to pry the neato blow'em up stuff out of the hawks talons? I for one believe they'll have us resorting to cannibalism before they give up their precious "Superpower" status.

Star Wars? I seem to recall, some years ago, watching none other than Newt Gingrich admitting that "Star Wars" was a sham, designed to scare the Soviets into thinking we had capabilities that we did not. (At the time.)
He said, "That was the true genius behind it. It worked. It scared the tar out of them. And it only existed on paper." Anyone else remember that?

Dave
Old 03-12-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
And to think our enemies are fighting us with box cutters, AK-47's and IED's and they've kept us at bay for nearly a decade. Maybe they'll throw in the towel if we tell them that we finally got Star Wars to work.
They're not fighting us, we're fighting them. On their terms.

Best way to win a guerrillia war is to quit creating more guerrillias.

If you're brutal enough, like Missouri in the 1860's, or the way the Brits did it during the Boer War you can win.

Or at least think you did.

Chas
Old 03-12-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Yep. I believe someone here once said, "I'm pretty sure we'll choose to expand the empire and starve the people." Oh, that was me.

Watch what happens.

Try to pry the neato blow'em up stuff out of the hawks talons? I for one believe they'll have us resorting to cannibalism before they give up their precious "Superpower" status.

Star Wars? I seem to recall, some years ago, watching none other than Newt Gingrich admitting that "Star Wars" was a sham, designed to scare the Soviets into thinking we had capabilities that we did not. (At the time.)
He said, "That was the true genius behind it. It worked. It scared the tar out of them. And it only existed on paper." Anyone else remember that?

Dave
I'll see that bluff, and bump you you 50 Centavos.

Kind of scary when the fate of civilization is based on a glorified game of seven card stud.

Chas
Old 03-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'll see that bluff, and bump you you 50 Centavos.

Kind of scary when the fate of civilization is based on a glorified game of seven card stud.

Chas
True dat.

Dave
Old 03-13-2011, 03:12 AM

Quote:

What do you think is the likelihood of major cutbacks or cancellation of these programs. I
I can't see the democrats on board if it's in their district. Also, defense has historically acted to drive new technology. Consider: The Internet, Jet Transportation, Communications, Space Exploration, High Energy Physics, Electronics, etc.. But yes, there are programs that need to be cut. The problem is finding the ones that are politically acceptable to all parties that have an interest in the project.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:25 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:

Because there is absolutely nowt scientific about Brilliant Pebbles and that;s why the Goopers have an orgasm over it.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunter View Post
I can't see the democrats on board if it's in their district. Also, defense has historically acted to drive new technology. Consider: The Internet, Jet Transportation, Communications, Space Exploration, High Energy Physics, Electronics, etc.. But yes, there are programs that need to be cut. The problem is finding the ones that are politically acceptable to all parties that have an interest in the project.
So, what you're saying is that government spending can drive innovation. And that there are things that otherwise would never have happened, or at least been greatly delayed, without public money being spent to advance the research.

Excellent point. Thank you.

Dave