Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Did a condo salesman help you bag your groceries?

Chas
It was a friends timeshare deal. Very, very nice but a little too rich for our blood.

No, we shook her well before we ever got to Wally World. It was epic salesperson vs. salesperson and she was as persistent as a woodpecker thats for certain. When it was all said and done, I put her down for the count before the bell late in the fourth round.

I did the rope a dope for a round or three then had to step up my game. I lulled her into thinking that he almost had me so she would call in the "closer" early. It worked and that gave me the opportunity to unleash a of flurry haymakers followed by a " I'll be on my way now. You can keep the complementary spa visits. They are only of interest to my wife and if you haven't noticed, she excused herself to use the ladies room an hour ago and hasn't returned. I think she is on the beach already". She knew that a "one-legger" sale was never going to happen and that was that.

Last edited by doucanoe; 01-28-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucanoe View Post
It was a friends timeshare deal. Very, very nice but a little too rich for our blood.

No, we shook her well before we ever got to Wally World. It was epic salesperson vs. salesperson and she was as persistent as a woodpecker thats for certain. When it was all said and done, I put her down for the count before the bell late in the fourth round.

I did the rope a dope for a round or three then had to step up my game. I lulled her into thinking that he almost had me so she would call in the "closer" early. It worked and that gave me the opportunity to unleash a of flurry haymakers followed by a " I'll be on my way now. You can keep the complementary spa visits. They are only of interest to my wife and if you haven't noticed, she excused herself to use the ladies room an hour ago and hasn't returned. I think she is on the beach already". She knew that a "one-legger" sale was never going to happen and that was that.
We got nabbed by one in the checkout lane...hell, I thought he worked there. In one way, I guess he did.

He went so far as to push our cart out of the store, all the time offering us free tickets to take the Fast Cat down to Cozumel so we could spend the nite in his condos.

I try to be polite to everyone, but I finally had to tell this guy that I wasn't going to buy a condo from him or anyone else, he was wasting his time, and to just go away.

When we were leaving, a guy ran up and picked up our suitcases while I was telling him not to, carried them 15 feet to the bench we were going to sit on, then stuck out his paw. I wound up giving him a 100 peso note as it was the smallest thing I had.

I hope my wife never wants to go back down there, but I know better.

Chas
Old 01-29-2011, 12:39 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Yep, been out that way too (on the island of Shemya, AK). If you like isolation, it might be for you. Otherwise, I don't recommend it.

We were much closer to Petropovlosk. The Soviets had a sub base there, back in the early eighties. They were not happy that we came to visit.

But, you know what? We were all just young men, sent by our respective governments to do a job.

So, I take it Shemya wasn't exactly a place to party hard and pick up babes?

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 01-29-2011 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
We got nabbed by one in the checkout lane...hell, I thought he worked there. In one way, I guess he did.

He went so far as to push our cart out of the store, all the time offering us free tickets to take the Fast Cat down to Cozumel so we could spend the nite in his condos.

I try to be polite to everyone, but I finally had to tell this guy that I wasn't going to buy a condo from him or anyone else, he was wasting his time, and to just go away.

When we were leaving, a guy ran up and picked up our suitcases while I was telling him not to, carried them 15 feet to the bench we were going to sit on, then stuck out his paw. I wound up giving him a 100 peso note as it was the smallest thing I had.

I hope my wife never wants to go back down there, but I know better.

Chas

At least you made it out into the world before being accosted. We had to go through it before we were handed the keys to our suite. What started out as a tour of the place quickly turned into a sales pitch. It was smooth sailing once I put that to rest early on.

Even though I never went in as a potential buyer, I figured that I would give this gal a bit of time to try and earn. It was more a professional courtesy initially but got annoying fast.

I did pretty much the same with the tipping on the way out of there. Not wanting to do an exchange with all the monopoly money I had in my pocket, I was handing out cash like a madman on the way back to the airport. I'm not sure but in my excitement to get the hell out of there, I think I gave one guy the equivalent of $10 US for moving our bags from the cab to a cart
Old 01-29-2011, 08:58 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
We were much closer to Petropovlosk. The Soviets had a sub base there, back in the early eighties. They were not happy that we came to visit.

But, you know what? We were all just young men, sent by our respective governments to do a job.

So, I take it Shemya wasn't exactly a place to party hard and pick up babes?

Dave
Nope, the only babes wore Air Force blue and there were very few of them. Shemya is owned by the Air Force where it maintained facilities for spying on Soviet missile launches from the Kamchatka peninsula. As you might surmise, it was a very high security place. It was cold, foggy and windy year round. I've been their twice for 3-4 at at time. One of the prettiest sights in the world is seeing the airplane land that you're taking out of that place.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:08 AM
Loyal Opposition

Not a well traveled person here. However, one of the more meaningful places I have visited in my trips to NYC is the John Street Church. It is the first Methodist church in the nation. It's location in the midst of the financial district in the city adds to its meaningfulness for me. The quiet little church building and its congregation have endured despite the monuments to wealth that surround it. I always feel a strong sense of peace when I visit it. The only other place where I have felt a similar sense of reverence is the Baseball HOF in Cooperstown.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-29-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Nope, the only babes wore Air Force blue and there were very few of them. Shemya is owned by the Air Force where it maintained facilities for spying on Soviet missile launches from the Kamchatka peninsula. As you might surmise, it was a very high security place. It was cold, foggy and windy year round. I've been their twice for 3-4 at at time. One of the prettiest sights in the world is seeing the airplane land that you're taking out of that place.
One of the prettiest sights I've ever seen was the hood ornament on the truck I was driving whenever we left Calumet, OK.

That, and the '62 Chevy the drunk who picked us up was driving whenever we finally quit and were hitching our way out of Winner, SD.

Pretty much everything else that I saw between the two all looked the same through the windshield of a Massy 410.

Chas
Old 01-29-2011, 10:28 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
The only other place where I have felt a similar sense of reverence is the Baseball HOF in Cooperstown.
The Baseball HOF and Cooperstown are great. The HOF is outstanding and the surrounding area is simply beautiful. My youngest son played in a baseball tournament there for a week and had a great time.