Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-06-2012, 10:31 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
In the Finnish system, this is generally what is encouraged. And, as I recall, we were given the same choice in Ohio, as we graduated tenth grade. But, that was many moons ago. I don't know what the deal is now.

Regards,
Dave
Yeah they had vocational when I went, but the whole 'machine' was set up for college prep.

I think a lot of European countries have a test at a certain age that determines which kind of school you go to.

Pete
Old 12-06-2012, 10:38 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Yeah they had vocational when I went, but the whole 'machine' was set up for college prep.

I think a lot of European countries have a test at a certain age that determines which kind of school you go to.

Pete
Right. But unfortunately, certain students, (idiots and troublemakers) were "encouraged" to go to vocational school. Which created a problem for those of us who chose to go. My parents and teachers tried to talk me out of it. I should have listened.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Pete
One reason why these "vo-tech" programs work better in Europe is that the trades aren't stigmatized there as they are here.

John
Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
One reason why these "vo-tech" programs work better in Europe is that the trades aren't stigmatized there as they are here.

John
Exactly.

I think it's a shame that we stigamtize the people that actually do the work instead of just talking about it.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Area Man

Quote:

John
Which was kind of the point I was trying to make in my last post. The "Vo-Tech" schools, in Ohio at the time, were being used by some districts as a dumping ground for hard cases. Which ruined it for the rest of us. I'm guessing the attitude was founded in the belief that trades are for lowlifes and halfwits anyways. And, then we wonder why "workmanship" is lacking in this country?

Regards,
Dave
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Which was kind of the point I was trying to make in my last post. The "Vo-Tech" schools, in Ohio at the time, were being used by some districts as a dumping ground for hard cases. Which ruined it for the rest of us. I'm guessing the attitude was founded in the belief that trades are for lowlifes and halfwits anyways. And, then we wonder why "workmanship" is lacking in this country?

Regards,
Dave
The assumption here seems to have always been that "manual labor" was for the weak of mind and the strong of back. Historically, it has been the work of slaves and recent immigrants who, as we all know, aren't all that bright, not quite human.

John
Old 12-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
The assumption here seems to have always been that "manual labor" was for the weak of mind and the strong of back. Historically, it has been the work of slaves and recent immigrants who, as we all know, aren't all that bright, not quite human.

John
Indeed. Germany has a vocational training system that is the envy of the world. Part of the reason, I believe, is that all forms of work, be it laborer or lawyer, have dignity there. Here, blue collar work is a job, whereas white collar is a profession.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:

John
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/nov...onomy-20121111

most def

read the middle part of the article where it mentions vocational education.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:

Pete
Germany does.