Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:29 AM

Monday Night Massacre or Trumps mine field

Hey Folks,
I am sure you have all heard Trump fires the acting AG for not getting on board with his travel ban. This is one more action by the POTUS that is getting attention with the question of legality.

I almost think it would be fun to take bets on how long Trump is in office before he really screws up. Specifically screws up enough so that congress grabs his reigns and puts him in his place. I also wonder what that will look like. Impeachment? him declaring himself god almighty?

As to the firing, I think he was well within his rights to do so, but to do so because "the" legal mind questions the legality of the proposed action screams for censure.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:34 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
Hey Folks,
I am sure you have all heard Trump fires the acting AG for not getting on board with his travel ban. This is one more action by the POTUS that is getting attention with the question of legality.

I almost think it would be fun to take bets on how long Trump is in office before he really screws up. Specifically screws up enough so that congress grabs his reigns and puts him in his place. I also wonder what that will look like. Impeachment? him declaring himself god almighty?

As to the firing, I think he was well within his rights to do so, but to do so because "the" legal mind questions the legality of the proposed action screams for censure.
It's still pretty much even odds that he'll be impeached in his first time.
https://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/b...als/222881036/
Old 01-31-2017, 07:39 AM

I am thinking within this first year, maybe even in the next six months. This is just a gut level knee jerk feeling though.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:38 AM

Cow manure. Nixonian comparisons and Hitler comparisons. You guys are tragic.

Yates was wrong. Period. She received an order from the Prez. Her obligation is to carry out the order, seek an opportunity to discuss concerns she has with the Prez directly, or resign. She doesn't get to engage in subjective politically motivated navel - gazing while directing her staff not to enforce the law.

Yates said late on Monday that the Justice Department would not defend the order against court challenges, saying that she did not believe it would be "consistent with this institution's solemn obligation to always seek justice and stand for what is right."

You get to claim a resemblance to the "Saturday Night Massacre" when you can prove that Yates was asked to fire Archibald Cox.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:56 AM

This keeps getting lost.
http://crooksandliars.com/2017/01/ru...pill-his-beans
Old 01-31-2017, 10:01 AM

You can't count on good GOP congress members to impeach him because they are afraid of being "primaried" but I believe Trump may do something that becomes a tipping point from which he can't recover.

Joad was saying how Trump was going to get rid of federal workers. A push to get rid of government doctors, nurses, and others who help both active duty soldiers and veterans would be seen as anti-American and a betrayal of Trump's pledge to support the military. A similar assault on the VA could do it also.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Cow manure. Nixonian comparisons and Hitler comparisons. You guys are tragic.

Yates was wrong. Period. She received an order from the Prez. Her obligation is to carry out the order, seek an opportunity to discuss concerns she has with the Prez directly, or resign. She doesn't get to engage in subjective politically motivated navel - gazing while directing her staff not to enforce the law.

Yates said late on Monday that the Justice Department would not defend the order against court challenges, saying that she did not believe it would be "consistent with this institution's solemn obligation to always seek justice and stand for what is right."

You get to claim a resemblance to the "Saturday Night Massacre" when you can prove that Yates was asked to fire Archibald Cox.

But she made Trump look incompetent which may have been her aim.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
But she made Trump look incompetent which may have been her aim.
She did nothing of the sort. She sacrificed herself - her time was limited with Sessions coming aboard anyway - to make a political statement.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:28 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
She did nothing of the sort. She sacrificed herself - her time was limited with Sessions coming aboard anyway - to make a political statement.
True enough. However, resigning under protest or protesting and getting fired for it is largely a distinction without a difference and isn't close to being the main issue here. The main issue is that your Trumpenfuhrer, after promising to surround himself with the "best" and "smartest" people and not to make "stupid" decisions proceeds to roll out an Executive Order written by some inexperienced 31 year old punk (Stephen Miller) while ignoring his recent cabinet picks for DoD, DHS, DNI and responsible Congressional committees, only to strand people with green cards, dual citizenship, and Iraqis who risked their lives to help us and who have already undergone years of vetting.

This makes the rollout of Obamacare look slick and professional. Your Trumpenfuhrer screwed the pooch royally this time. I hope you're proud of him.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
True enough. However, resigning under protest or protesting and getting fired for it is largely a distinction without a difference and isn't close to being the main issue here. The main issue is that your Trumpenfuhrer, after promising to surround himself with the "best" and "smartest" people and not to make "stupid" decisions proceeds to roll out an Executive Order written by some inexperienced 31 year old punk (Stephen Miller) while ignoring his recent cabinet picks for DoD, DHS, DNI and responsible Congressional committees, only to strand people with green cards, dual citizenship, and Iraqis who risked their lives to help us and who have already undergone years of vetting.

This makes the rollout of Obamacare look slick and professional. Your Trumpenfuhrer screwed the pooch royally this time. I hope you're proud of him.
No question the EO was not well - implemented or well communicated. But, of course, that doesn't have a thing to do with the title of this thread, complete with the Nixonian references that have been buzzing around the left wing echo chamber...which it appears a place where you're right at home.