Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
It'd be nice if people would think this way about gun owners.
They Won't
Old 05-08-2014, 08:41 AM

I gotta call you out on this one
First, the details of the shooting of a 93 year old woman are not at all clear. You may be right about it, but you do not know yet. No one knows yet. A 93 year old with a gun is every bit as deadly(maybe more so), than a young man. A gun is a deadly weapon. If they shot in self defense, the nso be it. Yeah, no one likes to think of the grandparent being shot, but how about the officer and his family. Do we let them just get shot. Like I said, we do not know the details yet.

Next, a drug courier is sentenced to jail for three years. He go off light in my opinion. Yeah he is 90 years old, so what! If he was guilty of bringing in something like 400 lbs of coke. What did that to do to people(admittedly by their own choice(or addiction) too)? Why should a 90 year old be given anything more than a normal person? They should be held every bit as accountable as anyone else.

Lastly, I looked all over the internet. There is not one article I could find that stated the facts in the title. Tabloid journalism at it s best. The ma was not arrested for speaking out, he was arrested for disorderly conduct. He refused to honor the rules of the meeting. He would not speak his piece and then allow the meeting to continue, he tried to dominant the floor with his complaints. He was allowed two minutes, as all the participants were. He was arrested after 19 minutes of continual interruption. Here again, he got what he paid for.

Police state, maybe, but more like asses who think they can do what they want and not pay for it.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Banned

Ya I think people are getting a wee bit tiered of the police state

Albuquerque Activists Eye History in New Protest

As the threat of another tense standoff at an Albuquerque City Council meeting brews Thursday, protesters angry over a series of police shootings are harkening back to the city's long history of civil disturbance and modeling their demonstrations after those including a notorious 1960s citizen raid of a northern New Mexico courthouse.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/p...tings-23632336
Old 05-08-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
Ya I think people are getting a wee bit tiered of the police state

Albuquerque Activists Eye History in New Protest

As the threat of another tense standoff at an Albuquerque City Council meeting brews Thursday, protesters angry over a series of police shootings are harkening back to the city's long history of civil disturbance and modeling their demonstrations after those including a notorious 1960s citizen raid of a northern New Mexico courthouse.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/p...tings-23632336
I read this article too. It is pathetic. I had a hundred more questions when I was done. It is full of generalizations, leading comments unsupported correlations and just plain vague inferences that mean nothing.

These articles only have one thing in common. They are crap. They are poorly written with generalizations to evoke emotional response, to hell with facts and accurate information. Pathetic journalism.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:52 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I wonder what cued 4-2-7 to do an anti-cop thread today?
Probably so he can blame it on Obama and the librulls.

Cuz us librulls we loves us some Poe-Lease doncha know?

Last edited by Tom Joad; 05-08-2014 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:11 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
I gotta call you out on this one
First, the details of the shooting of a 93 year old woman are not at all clear. You may be right about it, but you do not know yet. No one knows yet. A 93 year old with a gun is every bit as deadly(maybe more so), than a young man. A gun is a deadly weapon. If they shot in self defense, the nso be it. Yeah, no one likes to think of the grandparent being shot, but how about the officer and his family. Do we let them just get shot. Like I said, we do not know the details yet.

Next, a drug courier is sentenced to jail for three years. He go off light in my opinion. Yeah he is 90 years old, so what! If he was guilty of bringing in something like 400 lbs of coke. What did that to do to people(admittedly by their own choice(or addiction) too)? Why should a 90 year old be given anything more than a normal person? They should be held every bit as accountable as anyone else.

Lastly, I looked all over the internet. There is not one article I could find that stated the facts in the title. Tabloid journalism at it s best. The ma was not arrested for speaking out, he was arrested for disorderly conduct. He refused to honor the rules of the meeting. He would not speak his piece and then allow the meeting to continue, he tried to dominant the floor with his complaints. He was allowed two minutes, as all the participants were. He was arrested after 19 minutes of continual interruption. Here again, he got what he paid for.

Police state, maybe, but more like asses who think they can do what they want and not pay for it.
A police state occurs when an illegitimate government uses force to maintain power, or when a legitimate government uses force beyond that which is necessary to maintain safety. In this story, a police officer shot a suspect. Following the shooting, the officer was taken off the street; there will be an internal investigation; and a prosecutor will present the facts to a grand jury to determine whether that group of citizens concludes that the officer acted in self defense. When there are such consequences arising from a law enforcement officer's use of force, one can not credibly claim that the story is evidence of a police state.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-09-2014, 01:40 AM
Banned

Protesters call for justice to be served in the shooting of 93-year-old woman by Hearne police officer

HEARNE -- For many of the 150 Hearne residents who showed up for a march and rally following the fatal shooting of a 93-year-old woman by a police officer, Thursday was about putting an end to years of accepting what they call unfair and unequal treatment by police.

"We can't bring Ms. Golden back, but we can turn a tragic murder into a positive message to Hearne police -- 'We won't stand for it any longer,'" said Hearne native Dewayne Jones.

Lifelong Hearne resident William Foster III spoke to those gathered across the street from Brookshire Brothers moments before a short march took place to the police station, telling them: "We can't just keep sitting around accepting what's going on with this town. It's time for a change."
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/p...3bb618152.html
Old 05-09-2014, 02:44 AM
Mutated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1 View Post
I think 90% of gun owners are idiots,I cant think of a logical reason any one would have to own a gun.
There are many many gun owners at AK and some of them are in my friends list. My father, a physician, had a gun collection and I grew up with them, I was even owner of an airgun.

When I was eleven I shot a lizard into its mouth. This little creature tracks me as long as I live. It was the most stupid thing I did in my childhood.

Well, I think a lot, or better: most gun owners are idiots but 90% is too much.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
A police state occurs when an illegitimate government uses force to maintain power, or when a legitimate government uses force beyond that which is necessary to maintain safety. In this story, a police officer shot a suspect. Following the shooting, the officer was taken off the street; there will be an internal investigation; and a prosecutor will present the facts to a grand jury to determine whether that group of citizens concludes that the officer acted in self defense. When there are such consequences arising from a law enforcement officer's use of force, one can not credibly claim that the story is evidence of a police state.

Regards,

D-Ray
Nicely stated D-Ray.

Do you think the civilian police force is becoming too militarized? I read an article some time ago that depicted the slow, but steady, acquisition of miltitary hardware by civilian police forces since the early 1980s.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-2-7 View Post
Protesters call for justice to be served in the shooting of 93-year-old woman by Hearne police officer

HEARNE -- For many of the 150 Hearne residents who showed up for a march and rally following the fatal shooting of a 93-year-old woman by a police officer, Thursday was about putting an end to years of accepting what they call unfair and unequal treatment by police.

"We can't bring Ms. Golden back, but we can turn a tragic murder into a positive message to Hearne police -- 'We won't stand for it any longer,'" said Hearne native Dewayne Jones.

Lifelong Hearne resident William Foster III spoke to those gathered across the street from Brookshire Brothers moments before a short march took place to the police station, telling them: "We can't just keep sitting around accepting what's going on with this town. It's time for a change."
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/p...3bb618152.html
It's also interesting that this is the second person the officer has killed. I know a number of police officers and it is relatively rare to actually have to shoot someone. I feel sorry for that community and hope they can resolve the issue peaceably.

This case here I thought was particularly bad:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/05/06...ises-concerns/

In this case, 23 officers fired 377 rounds into a car killing both occupants. There is absolutely no reason for that many rounds being fired on a public street. You can't even control down range angles with that many officers. The article is a sickening example of over zealous cops. Fortunately, as of now no other people were hit.