Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
In general, I don't believe in conspiracy theories because of the number of people who would need to be involved, their complexity of doing things involving multiple government agencies and involve only people loyal to the conspiracy, and the inability for anybody in Washington to keep a secret.
In general, I agree Finbow. That's why I don't delve into each of these "conspiracies" further. I only use them as examples to build up a rational explanation of how 2 DEM/REP administrations (16 years) managed to mangle our foreign policy on Iraq so badly.

But, when the govt "shuts down" and investigation or redirects it intentionally, like in the case of Flight 800, there are fewer secrets to hide. And trust me on this (you too D-Ray), when an airplane crashes and the CIA gets called in to make a cartoon depiction of the data on the flight data recorder for release to the network news agencies, rather than the NTSB or the FCC, somethin's not right...

You can hide stuff pretty efficiently, even with thousands of folk involved. Why do you think that WikiLeaks was such a big deal?

Usually, conspiracies start BECAUSE the govt does something stupid or suspicious. Like losing the big metal door at the Branch Davidian compound that would have contained evidence of who fired first. Incompetence? Hard to tell. But when you have Texas Ranger witnesses saying the FBI carted off that door -- voila --- you have a conspiracy.

Or when the govt decides to do a limited release of the flight voice recorder for Flt 93, the 9/11 jet crashed in Penn -- but CLASSIFY the flight data recorder and NOT release that item which would reveal if perhaps WE shot it down, -- voila -- another conspiracy.

In almost ALL of the most convincing conspiracies I know, the govt has the ability to quash them IMMEDIATELY by releasing some key information, but for some dam reason, just decides to let them flail... Incompetence? or Hiding something? The conspirisists claim hiding, the non-believers must think it's just incompetence.. Advantage to ---- the conspirisists...

Hey -- just like Obama's long form certificate!!
Maybe a new age of clearing the air???
Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Jon, the sanctions were falling apart.

Pete
Old 05-04-2011, 11:31 AM

Let me help Pete::

Finbow: Resolution of EU Parliament in 2000...

http://www.medea.be/index.html?page=2&lang=en&doc=418

Quote:
1. Reiterates its position as expressed in its abovementioned resolution of 13 April 2000 and calls upon the UN Security Council to commence a dialogue with a view to lifting the economic embargo while maintaining a strict arms embargo on Iraq;

2. Proposes sending parliamentary fact-finding delegations with a view to opening a dialogue to establish how the oil-for-food programme can be extended to improve the living conditions of the Iraqi people;

3. Expresses its belief that EU diplomacy should try to bring about a lifting of the no-fly zone, together with a formal renunciation by the Iraqi Government of the use of military force in dealing with the demands for autonomy of the Kurdish people;

4. Reiterates the need for the UN, WHO and Red Cross to continue to monitor the importation and equitable distribution of goods and services, so that the benefits thereof reach the most deprived and vulnerable people in Iraq;
And more.... stuff. One of 6 or 8 resolutions DEPLORING the continuing policy of pummeling and punishment..

Or how about?

Quote:
"We are in the process of destroying an entire society. It is as simple and terrifying as that. It is illegal and immoral." Denis Halliday, after resigning as first UN Assistant Secretary General and Humanitarian Coordinator in Iraq, The Independent, 15 October 1998
From a PBS frontline episode...

Quote:
Albright's tough new stance seemed oddly out of step with the trends; even as the U.S. position grew tougher, other countries were taking steps to bring Saddam's regime back into the international fold --without any change in government.

In the first half of 1997, a growing number of America's partners in the coalition sent diplomats back to Baghdad and struck commercial deals. Italy, Spain, and Greece reopened embassies in Baghdad, while France staffed an interest section there for the first time in seven years. All of these moves indicated a de facto acceptance of the rogue regime. Two delegations of Italian parliamentarians, and one of French, visited Iraq for talks, while a former senior French military officer headed a group of business executives from some 50 companies that staged a three-day "fair" in an attempt to secure business contracts.
No more proof needed... It was a failed and despised policy that needed to be changed.
So much for "bush's war".. At least he had the sense to make a change.. Even if it wasn't the best option..
That's why it's so irritating to me to hear the leftists TRY to rewrite history by intimating that Bush's war was simply about oil or his Daddy. ACTUALLY history will take into account the 1st 12 years of failed Iraq policy AS WELL AS the less than ideal Bush Solution..

Last edited by flacaltenn; 05-04-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:53 AM

D-ray::

Quote:
The distrust of the government exhibited in your initial post sounds like some of the statements that people were nailing Rev. Jeremiah Wright for making.
Distrust of a govt as large and powerful and corruptable as ours is a GOOD thing. I guess I'll grant the Reverend that. And I support him in his "American's chickens -- are coming home to roost" statement after 9.11. Because the left USUALLY tries to excuse brutal murders by trying to understand the motives and victimhood of the accused. So asking WHY AL Queada attacked us is a valid and interesting question even if it doesn't advise as to what our reaction should be. And if you listened to OBL, his main justifications for 9.11 were:

A) our pummeling and deprivation of the Iraqi people for too long.
B) presence of American Forces on the Arabian Peninsula to support the "containment".
(and a whole bunch of irrelevent distorted other reasons)

As much as it pains anyone to admit it. Bush's war solved BOTH the containment action and the bases in Saudi.

But Reverend Wright goes waaay too far in EXCUSING himself from the actions of America and criticizing by EXCLUDING himself as co-responsible for this country's action. I can't do that. I AM a citizen of this country and I am responsible for it's actions..
Old 05-04-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Jon, the sanctions were falling apart.

Pete
Good thing we fixed the problem with a liberal dose of death and destruction and all the wonderful spin-offs thereof.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I'm firmly convinced that the Iraq invasion was a NeoCon wetdream to restructure the Mideast, via the domino theory, into a peaceful region compliant to our (and Israel's) geopolitical interests.

The whole WMD threat was nothing more than a "bureaucratic" justification that they thought would work in the wake of 9/11, and Wolfowitz said as much.

Saddam was a convenient boogeyman and the WMD/terrorism rationale was a threatening enough reason to justify their big adventure in the sandbox. The Downing Street memo cast further light upon this (as did the Valerie Plame/Joe Wilson brouhaha). The NeoCon's had a compliant nincompoop in the White House (with a grudge), an strong ally there as well (Cheney), and a cabal of NeoCons in DoD (Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Douglas Feith) and a weak, easy to roll National Security Advisor, Condoleeza Rice.

Sincerely, I have no doubt about this being the case. However, America is unwilling to admit to itself that we spent so much in blood and treasure on such a cynical misadventure.
I have to quote finnbow here and say I think he's summed it up perfectly, and accurately. These things unfolded over the last seven years, and AFAIC it's now glaringly obvious how things turned out the way they did. I should also note that many of the things finnbow describes above became obvious almost right away to anyone unwilling to swallow what the White House and media were feeding the American public, and look a little, just a little, deeper into what was really happening. Scary, and so very frustrating.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lin View Post
I have to quote finnbow here and say I think he's summed it up perfectly, and accurately. These things unfolded over the last seven years, and AFAIC it's now glaringly obvious how things turned out the way they did. I should also note that many of the things finnbow describes above became obvious almost right away to anyone unwilling to swallow what the White House and media were feeding the American public, and look a little, just a little, deeper into what was really happening. Scary, and so very frustrating.
My son, who was thirteen at the time, recognized the duplicity right off. The night after the invasion of Iraq he questioned why an attack based on WMD's was suddenly called "Operation Iraqui Freedom." He also did a pretty good job of questioning my authority for a few years after that.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 08-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Resident octogenarian

If all of this is true where are the emails and cables from Wikileaks?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lin View Post
Actually, this stuff was all in place a decade before the actual war began. Read a very interesting, well documented and researched book on it, called Rise of the Vulcans (I think. Will double check. And not the green ones with the pointy ears either!). The Iraqi invasion was basically in the cards before the Bush cabal actually got into power. They just forgot to tell the American people of the plan...
Old 08-23-2011, 09:16 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

That is very true. Notice Hillary's support of it right off the bat. Bills statements while still in power show Washington couldn't wait to get rid of him.

It was a problem and considering the many quotes, including Dems in power as well, a more serious one than the average American now thinks.

Now, problem solved. Next time you see Iraqi kids playing in playground on TV remember we did have something to do with that.

Pete