Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:17 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Pete, so, you think that if weapons were more expensive it would be a part of the solution? Or are you saying it would make the problem worse?
It just might. More expensive = less accessible. Anyone have any data as to the average financial status of mass murderers and killers in general? My guess is the vast majority of them are lower middle-class and below.

Regards,
Dave
Old 12-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
No, the availability and subsequent possession of such weapons makes people gone postal even more deadly.
Far more capable of doing far more damage in a shorter period of time.

Do they not?

Regards,
Dave
If one weapon is no more deadly than the next, rapid fire, greater accuracy, etc., then what would be the point in choosing one over the other when the intent is to kill?

Dave
Old 12-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
If one weapon is no more deadly than the next, rapid fire, greater accuracy, etc., then what would be the point in choosing one over the other when the intent is to kill?

Dave
And if they are all the same, what does It matter if the assault rifles are banned?
Old 12-17-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
What's different is the availability of military type automatic weapons with high capacity magazines. This is very new. Essentially nobody had weapons like this 30 or so years ago. Now millions of people have them and essentially anyone can get one legally.

John
I agree that is a part of the equation how much don't know. The only reason for their existence is for the military. You do not need a rifle with a magazine with the capacity of over four or five for hunting. That would be for something like ducks. If more you should not be hunting.

Now for target practice yes a high capacity mag but a 1022 works just as well as a 223. I will gladly just use my ten round mag and destroy the thirties if it would in anyway stop this type of crazy behavior in the future.

No comments on the remark on how a violent movie or video game will not effect a young child mental health, but let that same child see a women's or a man's naked body or people having sex is then seen as totally different.

Barney
Old 12-17-2012, 07:56 PM
Loyal Opposition

There are a lot of areas where I don't agree with Michael Gerson (he is, after all, a former Bush speech-writer). But he can often be counted on to speak reasonably. He provided some perspective on the tragedy.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 12-17-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
There are a lot of areas where I don't agree with Michael Gerson (he is, after a former Bush speech-writer). But he can often be counted on to speak reasonably. He provided some perspective on the tragedy.

Regards,

D-Ray
Very thoughtful and well written and right on point.

John
Old 12-18-2012, 01:27 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
TOne solution I'm hearing is more security in the schools. Which amounts to a gun in the hands of the good guys.
By all means, let's introduce yet ANOTHER unstable element with a gun.

Or, do you think Mall Cops should be armed: because that's what you'll get.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:30 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
What's different is the availability of military type automatic weapons with high capacity magazines. This is very new. Essentially nobody had weapons like this 30 or so years ago. Now millions of people have them and essentially anyone can get one legally.

John
If I had a cigar in your presence, I would give it to you.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:17 AM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
By all means, let's introduce yet ANOTHER unstable element with a gun.

Or, do you think Mall Cops should be armed: because that's what you'll get.

Hi Zeke. Did you hear that Louis Gomert wished that Principal Dawn Hochsprung had a "Saw" M4 7.62 machine gun in her hands when she went to confront the deranged gunman in the hallway? I have no doubt that this beautiful and kind lady would have been horrified and sickened by such talk. I know I am.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigerik View Post
30 years ago? That's about when Reagan was elected, right?
Yes, the economic choices of this country in the last 30 years have been catastrophic to it's citizens: to say the least. We continue to practice idiotic economic, trade, and fiscal policies, that are wreaking havoc on the middle and poor class of this nation.

As people feel more and more like their security is at stake and they have basil instincts that lead them to fear for their futures.

Mass fear in the right wing propaganda machine also started around this time. Go listen to Limbaugh's old radio shows. They were amusing , and I listened, until I realized, many years ago, he was ridiculing women, the homeless, etc... making them the problem. Now the machine is in full gear warning use that So************************m is a stones throw away and we need to arm ourselves for the future battle against Communist style rule in the US.

The idiots that know nothing of So************************m, Communism, Fascism, dictatorships, etc... are afraid. They are stockpiling weapons and ammo for the imaginary civil war that is coming. The most recent mass murderer's mother was one of these people. The guns were her property.

The paranoia seeps into the psyche of anyone around. That includes her insane son.

People are afraid for their future well being. They are starting to snap more frequently and committing mass murder. It has accelerated in the last 12 years. Overall, the murder rate in the US is going down. Explain that to me.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...s-are-the-rise

Until we address the underlying social issues we will see no improvement in the disturbing, increased, mass murder trend.