Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-21-2012, 03:53 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
The First Amendment protects my right to speak, so I'm going to talk away, whether I have anything to say or not.

Regards,

D-Ray
The 2nd protects you there.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:54 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
In your dreams. The methods used to brainwash, oops to train troops today tend to result in a killing machine that simply takes orders.
Maybe not so much.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
In your dreams. The methods used to brainwash, oops to train troops today tend to result in a killing machine that simply takes orders.
Military training has always had, among other goals, the desensitizing of recruits to the killing of other humans. When I was in the Army the techniques were simple, maybe even naive. We shot at human-shaped silhouettes, stuck bayonettes in stuffed sacks and shouted "Kill!" a lot.

In the intervening years the use of live fire exercises and war gaming has become more widely used. Still there was no "thrill of the kill" in any of this stuff. But now the Army develops and uses "first person shooter" games.

They don't just use them to train recruits. They market them to the public.... for free! That way the kids who enlist are already half way to being the zombies the Army wants.

Oh, and when you download the game, you have to register so the Army knows where to find you.

John
Old 12-21-2012, 04:54 PM

All this talk about guns made realize something. We just need to admit the gun is an idol some worship, willing to sacrifice others innocent life's to.

Barney

Last edited by Oerets; 12-21-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:44 PM
reflexionar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Here I go again. I really was hoping for a response to this, but we somehow got sidetracked to those Westboro freaks.

Anyone care to share a thought?

Regards,
Dave
Sorry Dave, I have no problem responding, but I go to bed at 8pm pacific as I get up very early for a full time day job. I usually get home around 3:30pm. As you know, I only lean a bit right of center....I am not a republican. My post was only meant to show what I felt the founders opinions were AT THAT TIME. No more, no less. As a law abiding citizen, I live under current law. Currently we live with the second amendment, and I will back it as long as it exists.

The founders may have underestimated the weapons available today, but I think they witnessed carnage that we probably can't even imagine. Loss of life today is pretty much just numbers to most people. The per capita death and people's witness to death, blood, and gore I don't think we have matched in the modern era.

I seriously believe that the founders absolutely thought that a federal standing army should be relatively small and should in no way ever be able to overpower the militia (common man).

I highlighted a certain passage in red and also believe that after 1812 Madison as well as others may have had second thoughts on their decisions, but even at that time so many years ago couldn't figure out a real solution that would protect the citizens from the government, while at the same time having the government rule and protect the people.

My last statement bringing in the declaration of independence was stated to say in a nutshell that if enough people feel the government is not doing the right thing, then it is the people's right/obligation to change it.

I guess I am simply trying to say that now, as in the past, the second amendment stands and I will recognize it as the law of the land. I also want to say that if enough people don't like it, it can be changed. It may be in the bill of rights, but it is still subject to amendment, or re-amendment depending on your point of view. I may be a bit conservative, but along with that comes the patriotism that I will follow the will of the people.

As a side note that I didn't mention before, I don't think the founders could have possibly imagined a United Nations in their wildest dreams and that scares me more than US law. Treaties made with the UN if ratified by the senate become the true law of the land and can easily trump US law if allowed to happen. If we were to enter into a treaty with the UN that addressed US gun rights or lack thereof, then that would be binding as long as the senate went along.

Marc

Last edited by mpholland; 12-21-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:00 PM

Some more info came out about the shooter. Apparently that young man had some serious mental issues. He basically lived in the basement 24/7 and rarely spoke. Earlier there was a report from a former babysitter. He said the mom instructed him to never turn his back on the kid.

It looks more to me like a case of dumbass parenting than anything. The mom should have never had those guns in the house or if she did at least in a safe and denied her son access. That would have been in line with NRA guidelines a few decades ago.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:51 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacon View Post
Some more info came out about the shooter. Apparently that young man had some serious mental issues. He basically lived in the basement 24/7 and rarely spoke. Earlier there was a report from a former babysitter. He said the mom instructed him to never turn his back on the kid.

It looks more to me like a case of dumbass parenting than anything. The mom should have never had those guns in the house or if she did at least in a safe and denied her son access. That would have been in line with NRA guidelines a few decades ago.
I have not been a minute by minute follower of this story because, just like other big news, minute by minute reports often prove to be wrong. With that in mind, have there been any reports about exactly how the weapons were stored in the house?
Old 12-21-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
I have not been a minute by minute follower of this story because, just like other big news, minute by minute reports often prove to be wrong. With that in mind, have there been any reports about exactly how the weapons were stored in the house?
Not yet. At least not that I'm aware of. However there are reports that the mom took the kid shooting. I'm OK with that. But afterwards the guns should have been inaccessible to her son.

When I started shooting dad played a trick on me. It's not directly related to this story but it is worth mentioning. I was in about the 7th grade and wanted to be a badass as bad as any boy of that age. Of course learning how to shoot a gun is real badass.

What dad did was pretty ingenious. He was in the Army and spoke a lot of preventative maintenance (PM). Anytime I learned how to use a piece of equipment he also made me maintain it.

Shoot a gun? Clean it kid.
Drive a car? Clean it kid.
Borrow my boat? Clean it kid.

The ultimate lesson was that adulthood comes with responsibility. As a result my fascination with guns petered out real fast. As a 7th grader I wanted to come home from shooting and show my friends my targets right away. My dad never let that happen. I wasn't allowed to do jack squat until the guns were cleaned.

That little bit of good/bad, yin/yang, went a long way with learning how to prioritize what it is I really want and lowered guns on the list.

Again, not really related to the shooting but maybe a simple lesson worth mentioning.

Last edited by ebacon; 12-21-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:41 AM

If the boy never took the rifle in the school, then who used a rifle to do the killing? So many stories, he was found dead in the school with only hand guns, and the rifle was in the trunk of his car. I'm not sure how many times the story will change, or if ALL the facts will ever come out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju_Nl...ature=youtu.be
Old 12-22-2012, 01:13 AM

It seems like ignorance and hatred and fear of the Federal Government sort of go together.
No wonder this country is so fucked up. It is really not the Tea Party after all it is the morons who vote for them.