Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:45 PM

Huh? Um good ol' Rush implored him to fail.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:23 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
all schools will tune into him on Sept 8'th ( not an option ). He's going to speak to our kids .. while in school, rather than at home with parents standing over their shoulders.

But there is an option. Our kids won't be going to school that day, and from what I've heard from local parents .. the schools will be sorta empty on the 8'th. Thanks for the offer.. but we'll steer,advise,and raise our kids ourselves.

For what it's worth, a TN State Represenative came to our school today and passed out a card to each student. She said shes a 'Patriot' and don't agree with our President.She told them that folks must respect that Obama is in office, but she does not,nor does anyone else have to like, nor agree with him. I'm glad there are still folks willing to look out for our kids so's they don't get brainwashed.

"The address scheduled for September 8, 2009, does not allow for healthy debate on the President's agenda, but rather obligates the youngest children in our public school system to agree with our President's initiatives or be ostracized by their teachers and classmates."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/200909.../ynews_pl888_1
Do you realize that we had an election and Obama was elected president?
What is wrong with you people?
You are going to keep kids out of school so as not to let them listen to our elected President?
You want to reconsider who is doing the brainwashing?
You sound the same as a Muslim extremists to me.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:08 AM
Administrator

I don't care if hes black, white or blue. Our politicians ain't exactly the role models I want for my kids.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:05 AM
Resident octogenarian

BTW listening to the President's school broadcast is not compulsory.
Old 09-04-2009, 03:01 PM

Was quizzing by buddy's grandchild about school.

Asked him if he had ever heard of Thomas Jefferson or Robert E. Lee...and I drew a blank. To the school's credit, he had heard of George Washington.

Then I asked him if he had ever heard of Martin Luther King. He was full of information regarding MLK, probably most of it wrong.

Don't get me wrong, the kids should be taught about MLK, and Che, but lets not leave anyone out. Education and indroctration are not the same thing.

The point of an education is to learn to think. Learn to address an issue, define it, research it, and draw a conclusion.

IMHO, the teachers should be teaching a child the value of an education instead of pounding half truths down their throats. And instead of building a bigger football stadium, what's say we hire some teachers who have the gift to do precisely what I just said.

Chas
Old 09-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Resident octogenarian

I am not sure that even the universities teach people to think, just grind out robots for the business world.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:44 PM

Oh, yeah...I posted on another forum, "Rogersville Topix" about MY experiences in education...I started 1st grade in 1963, hiskule in '71, & college in '75. During virtually ALL that time, I can barely remember a single instance that the USA was praised in ANY of my history books, but great pains were taken to make sure we knew ALL ABOUT every Injun who'd been displaced to a God-forsaken reservation, every coon who'd had his @ss kicked by a White Devil Slavemaster, or every hapless worker who'd been ground down by a Greedy, Capitalistic Robber Baron...Sure, all that stuff happened, but, damn...The accomplishments of guys like George Washington Carver, Eli Whitney, Alex Graham Bell, were duly noted, but of course, they paled in comparison to the terrible things done by pigs like Carnegie, the Vanderbilts...OK, Henry Ford was an anti-Semitic nasswhole, but he also put America on wheels, lifted the farmer out of the mud-bound drudgery he'd been stuck in since time immemorial. There was almost NO attempt to be impartial in the history texts I was raised with, if we won a war, it was blind luck, or some "gimmick" like the Atom Bomb dreamed up by our scientists, since all our wars have been fought to make The Eeeeevil Rich even more so, & all our generals are blithering idiots, besides. I mean, I got virtually NOTHING but the straight ultra-left liberal line during my education...America was the greatest force for evil & bad stuff in the world, blah, blah, feckin' blah. I think if they hadn't been quite so strident, I wouldn't have asked so many questions, & found out that yeah, we got a LOT of warts on us, but MAYBE, just MAYBE, we ain't quite so bad as most of these pointy-headed idjits wanna paint us...
Old 09-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Oh, yeah...I posted on another forum, "Rogersville Topix" about MY experiences in education...I started 1st grade in 1963, hiskule in '71, & college in '75. During virtually ALL that time, I can barely remember a single instance that the USA was praised in ANY of my history books, but great pains were taken to make sure we knew ALL ABOUT every Injun who'd been displaced to a God-forsaken reservation, every coon who'd had his @ss kicked by a White Devil Slavemaster, or every hapless worker who'd been ground down by a Greedy, Capitalistic Robber Baron...Sure, all that stuff happened, but, damn...The accomplishments of guys like George Washington Carver, Eli Whitney, Alex Graham Bell, were duly noted, but of course, they paled in comparison to the terrible things done by pigs like Carnegie, the Vanderbilts...OK, Henry Ford was an anti-Semitic nasswhole, but he also put America on wheels, lifted the farmer out of the mud-bound drudgery he'd been stuck in since time immemorial. There was almost NO attempt to be impartial in the history texts I was raised with, if we won a war, it was blind luck, or some "gimmick" like the Atom Bomb dreamed up by our scientists, since all our wars have been fought to make The Eeeeevil Rich even more so, & all our generals are blithering idiots, besides. I mean, I got virtually NOTHING but the straight ultra-left liberal line during my education...America was the greatest force for evil & bad stuff in the world, blah, blah, feckin' blah. I think if they hadn't been quite so strident, I wouldn't have asked so many questions, & found out that yeah, we got a LOT of warts on us, but MAYBE, just MAYBE, we ain't quite so bad as most of these pointy-headed idjits wanna paint us...
You had some radically different text books than I did. I can honestly say I was taught about the opposite. I never heard a negative words about our country in a class room. I was taught we were the good and respected of the world. I think it was fairly accurate.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
You had some radically different text books than I did. I can honestly say I was taught about the opposite. I never heard a negative words about our country in a class room. I was taught we were the good and respected of the world.
ditto. i was taught that america was the shit, that all others bow before us, and pale in comparison. none of this is entirely true, i might add.

the president wants to address the children of our country. his goal is to instill a sense of the importance of staying in school and getting an education. i see nothing wrong with this. and the youth of america cetainly don't feel that way now (at least the majority).

i don't understand all the obama hate. i can't say that i agree with all of his policies, but i don't see where he has done anything so bad as to ruin the country. in the short time he has been in office (and it has been too short of a period to really form any opinions of his presidency), the country has not fallen apart, the economy has slightly improved. he is pushing for healthcare reform (god knows we need it, and he is going for a bipartisan agreement), none of our enemies have attacked us on our soil, so just where is the hate coming from?

get a grip people.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:08 AM

I remember they taught us about the Teapot Dome scandal, only it was portrayed as the exception to the rule rather then the norm.

It wouldn't do for me to teach history, I'd have all of the little Nimrod's so jaded that the school board would ride me out of town on a rail.

And I agree, the point of education is to create worker bees. And if anyone ever invents a decent robot, the powers that be will have them get rid of us.

Chas