Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:42 AM

Semi Automatic

I've got an issue that's been bothering me. I live in a fairly rural neighborhood populated with family residences on half acre lots. So the houses are close together. I live on a street lined by single family residences with pasture behind. two houses down is a gun enthusiast who likes to go out on his raised deck and shoot off his semi automatic weapon in the evenings. Don't know what he's shooting at but it totally freaks my dogs out and make me very uncomfortable being out in my back yard which is well within his line of fire. I feel like I'm in a war zone with a sniper.

The guy is a right with Trump nut and I'm not comfortable confronting him (I could actually just yell over at him from my own deck but will he start shooting at me?) The county sheriff doesn't care.

I live in a the county, apparently there are no gun restrictions. Should I get my own gun and start a war?
Old 07-27-2017, 10:55 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Why don't you just go over and talk to the guy, about anything. Get to know him just a little and then broach the subject. You may find a friend.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:10 AM

Getting friendly with him is a good suggestion.

But, at the same time, I'd be contacting my local elected officials and letting them know that current gun laws create a situation that puts you and others in a dangerous situation.

If they hear that message enough from citizens who vote, it could make a difference.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:52 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
Getting friendly with him is a good suggestion.

But, at the same time, I'd be contacting my local elected officials and letting them know that current gun laws create a situation that puts you and others in a dangerous situation.

If they hear that message enough from citizens who vote, it could make a difference.
We don't know that.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:32 PM

Call the county sheriffs or local PD in your area. Find out what the law is. The rounds he is sending down range travel a long way and collateral damage may happen. With a pasture behind contact the owners. They may be able to get it to stop where you can't.

Barney
Old 07-27-2017, 12:35 PM
Ready

Don't know the geography, but one rule of safe shooting is 'be sure of your backstop.' If there's not a hillside or embankment of some kind in back of his backyard target, he could be inadvertently endangering someone who happened to be downrange. (On edit--I see Oerets elaborated on this concern.)

Whether he's the sort of person liable to put a wild shot off laterally into your yard is a thing you shouldn't worry about. It's a question that needs a definite answer, one way or the other. You should pay him a visit as suggested, and find out.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
We don't know that.

Like I stated previously, he's a RW Trump fanatic so his mental health is already in question; he's likely to shoot me if I confront him. And my yard is in his firing range so yes, he's putting me in a dangerous situation.

I'm thinking he would respond to a gun pointed at him with a verbal threat to stop, old west style.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:46 PM
Ready

Nobody said to 'confront' him. You don't actually know his mental status or fanaticism quotient, you just have suspicions and assumptions. You need actual data to check those inferences of yours out. Pay him a friendly visit (emphasis on friendly).

I am assuming his gun, to your actual knowledge, has been pointed down his lot, and not sideways in your direction, when he shoots. If live rounds have crossed your property line, the case becomes quite different.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:50 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPots View Post
Like I stated previously, he's a RW Trump fanatic so his mental health is already in question;

Good grief!

he's likely to shoot me if I confront him.

Again, good grief!

And my yard is in his firing range so yes, he's putting me in a dangerous situation.

Not if he is not firing in your direction.

I'm thinking he would respond to a gun pointed at him with a verbal threat to stop, old west style.
You just do that. I'll bet you get to explain it all to the local Sheriff.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:57 PM

I go to the range up the road the county opened. See ever increasing unsafe shooters all the time. No talking to them, they know it all! So leave and report to office then come back later. Let the professionals handle them. One time saw one shooter loose all his weapons hand cuffed because of his mouth to conservation officers. No permit and crossed state lines sorta issues, big mouth too.

Barney