Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
For Pete's sake can you please stay on topic. Where did I play blame the other guy? I merely commented that what the general population her considers too be the left would be closer to the center elsewhere. If the left in this country were the fanatical progressives that you portray we would have SinglePayer and not that abortion Congress foisted off on us.
For Pete's sake, can't you read? All I did was post the content of post 4, which was a response not to you but to another poster.

And no, I don't agree with your conclusion about single payer. Both in 1993 - 94 and in 2009 - 2010, the Democrats could not get a consensus among Democrats that going single payer was the right course.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:57 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
For Pete's sake, can't you read? All I did was post the content of post 4, which was a response not to you but to another poster.

And no, I don't agree with your conclusion about single payer. Both in 1993 - 94 and in 2009 - 2010, the Democrats could not get a consensus among Democrats that going single payer was the right course.
Which tells me that the left here is not as far left as say Canada or Denmark, or Sweden. Also getting a consensus among Democrats would even challenge St. Anthony of Padua.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:27 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Both in 1993 - 94 and in 2009 - 2010, the Democrats could not get a consensus among Democrats that going single payer was the right course.
Which proves my point.

Todays Democratic Party is a center right party.

And the Republican Party, is a far right party.

There is no left in America.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:08 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Hard left relative to what? The soi disent left here is at best middle of the road elsewhere in the world.
Exactly.

That's why we are the only first world country that doesn't have universal single payer health care. Until we do, this nation is a far right hellhole as far as I am concerned.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Folks in this forum often like to accuse the Tea Party of pulling the Repubs to the right, while suggesting that most Americans - and themselves - are more centrist or center-left. That's never rung true from my perspective.

I believe both parties, and those that support them, are moving further away from the center resulting in more political polarization. I think that's what accounts for the political gridlock, as representatives of both parties and their constituents have less incentive to proactively seek common ground.

Now comes a Pew study which seems to lend credence to the view that Americans are increasingly polarized. It impacts who everything from who they socialize with to where they choose to live. To me, if this is true, it explains a lot: from our increasing political polarization to our increasing intolerance of individuals and institutions that may not reflect our points of view.

Food for thought.

http://news.yahoo.com/growing-partis...lTxE0Amk3QtDMD
Oddly I find that this polarization doesn't affect my associations so much as do shared interests outside of politics.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pio1980 View Post
Oddly I find that this polarization doesn't affect my associations so much as do shared interests outside of politics.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Same here. If political affiliation were a litmus test of friendship, I would've chucked 'Bilgewash Whelly' over the gunnels ages ago.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
If political affiliation were a litmus test of friendship, I would've chucked 'Bilgewash Whelly' over the gunnels ages ago.
You mean you haven't yet? I'm touched!
Old 06-15-2014, 07:21 PM
Admin

Quote:
You mean you haven't yet? I'm touched!
I neglected to mention the ropes tied to your hands and feet, ya old barnacle scraper. I mean, who better to keelhaul than you Mike? Happy Dad's Day btw.

Last edited by bobabode; 06-16-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:19 PM

Shouldn't we consider the fact that on subjects like abortion, gun control and gay marriages, we basically are either for or against it with really no room for compromise. And these after all have been the major contentious subjects of late. In the case of healthcare where there is room for compromise (government vs. private), this has became a disaster mostly based on presidential politics, aka Obamacare.
Old 06-15-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
Shouldn't we consider the fact that on subjects like abortion, gun control and gay marriages, we basically are either for or against it with really no room for compromise. And these after all have been the major contentious subjects of late. In the case of healthcare where there is room for compromise (government vs. private), this has became a disaster mostly based on presidential politics, aka Obamacare.
I think the political class does consider that fact in a very calculating way. For the most part, those are topics which, in the past, have surfaced almost exclusively during election cycles. Of late, with the apparent increase in large scale domestic violence (school shootings, military base shootings, etc.) and the gay marriage issue getting frequent media play on as court cases move at the federal and state levels) the last several years have seen those to issues get play beyond the election cycle.