Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Economy
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-05-2011, 11:15 AM

How to burn through political capital...

If Obama inherited any political capital at all from the recent take down of Bin Laden, here's the perfect way to squander it:

http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...rs-by-the-mile

Seriously? Tax drivers by the mile? I thought we did that already with toll roads and/or gasoline taxes, which essentially do the same thing: the more you drive the more you pay in gas tax? If we really want to increase taxes this way, why not just hike the gas tax and be done with it?
Old 05-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Area Man

I guess the Dems are learning the Republican way of shaving people without directly raising income taxes?

Wanna pay my personal property tax, Whell? Got it this morning. It's only $512. Then we can go out to lunch after that, and you can pick up the 11.5% "prepared meal" tax.

Thank heavens the GOP here in VA hasn't raised the Corporate tax though. I wouldn't want any corporations to have to pay their OWN fucking taxes, that would be totally unAmerican..................

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 05-05-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
“This is not an administration proposal," White House spokeswoman Jennifer Psaki said. "This is not a bill supported by the administration. This was an early working draft proposal that was never formally circulated within the administration, does not taken into account the advice of the president’s senior advisers, economic team or Cabinet officials, and does not represent the views of the president.”
That seems to make it clear that this is not something that is being proposed. Nevertheless, the source displays outstanding journalistic integrity by stating:

Quote:
Obama's proposal seems to follow up on that idea in section 2218 of the draft bill.
So the Administration is spending political capital because someone obtained an undated uncirculated draft of a document that has never been presented to anyone. That burns political capital only in the eyes of persons, such as yourself, with whom the President has never had any political capital. I think I see some wishful thinking - or maybe a little bit of SEAL envy.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Agreed gas tax is the proper 'vehicle' It's all part of the leftie plan to make autos very expensive like their heros, the Europeans lol.

I don't want a device in my car but the day is coming sure as the sun shines.

Pete