Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
Unfortunately the HR man won't let ol'Rex party on his own time, in his own home.(liberties anyone?).

Those links are all rich. Full of "maybes" and "one studies"....

What about all the health benefits? If I were to link articles about health benefits that said "one study shows" and "it may cure" you'd be all up and down them about lacking credibility.

You do know it's been illegal to drive impaired, alcohol or drugs, for a very long time, right? You do realize it's illegal to smoke weed in public in CO or Wash and anywhere cigarette smoking is banned, right?
Then roll yourself a fatty and have at it, Rex. The HR man cares not a bit what you do on your own time in your own home.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:09 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Then roll yourself a fatty and have at it, Rex. The HR man cares not a bit what you do on your own time in your own home.
Of course if it shows up in the pee test your ass is grass.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Great place. I used to go to Chicago on business pretty frequently and went to Kingston Mines a lot. I still remember the name of a big, heavy-set guitar player who impressed me the most - Michael Coleman. Good stuff.
You didn't say...the original club on Lincoln or the place they've been since 1982 on Halsted St? I've never been to the "new" location. Friends have said it's just not the same. The old place was a magnificent dump. When you went in to the alleged men's room to take a leak, it was so small and with the location of the urinal, every time the door opened you could have this fabulous eye contact with every woman in the audience. And during heavy rains the water just poured into the place. It was great!!!
Old 01-09-2014, 02:41 PM
Admin

Ahhh, another member with a fondness for dive bars with a certain grungy historic flavor and great music? Too bad all those places are all disappearing from the landscape under the guise of gentrification.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:47 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
You didn't say...the original club on Lincoln or the place they've been since 1982 on Halsted St? I've never been to the "new" location. Friends have said it's just not the same. The old place was a magnificent dump. When you went in to the alleged men's room to take a leak, it was so small and with the location of the urinal, every time the door opened you could have this fabulous eye contact with every woman in the audience. And during heavy rains the water just poured into the place. It was great!!!
Actually, I went to the Halsted location and liked it a lot. It was definitely a late-night place. I remember staying until 4am a few times and trying to look cogent the next day at the conference. Tough task.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:53 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Until he applies for a job or is involved in some sort of safety faux pas?
Old 01-09-2014, 03:01 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Until he applies for a job or is involved in some sort of safety faux pas?
No shit.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:02 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Yep. The country's falling apart.

It's amazing how long it actually takes, though. As far as I can tell, it's been falling apart all my life. Moral degenerancy runs rampant, tradition is spurned, our precious heritage is abandoned, and the nation falls into the hands of fools unworthy to clean the boots of our noble ancestors. All is lost!

But as I say, all has been lost for about three generations in my personal experience. I can't figure out why we keep going and going and going to hell, but never seem to get there.
That's because it's all nonsense. No generation has been perfect, no previous leader a saint. Each generation does what they believe to be good and necessary and each has its triumphs and makes its mistakes.

All else, the stories of "Good ol' Days" and the constant doomsaying, are tools of manipulation.

Dave
Old 01-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
That's because it's all nonsense. No generation has been perfect, no previous leader a saint. Each generation does what they believe to be good and necessary and each has its triumphs and makes its mistakes.

All else, the stories of "Good ol' Days" and the constant doomsaying, are tools of manipulation.

Dave
On this same vein, I tire very quickly of older folks bitching about today's generation as compared to the God-given wonderfulness of their generation. All generations throughout history have had fantastic overachievers and complete assholes.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Actually, I went to the Halsted location and liked it a lot. It was definitely a late-night place. I remember staying until 4am a few times and trying to look cogent the next day at the conference. Tough task.
Y'know...I'm probably gonna get myself in trouble with HK with this...but what the heck, eh?

Back when the Kingston Mines opened up in 1968, and pretty much through the late 70's when we were hanging out there and in other Chicago clubs it was often black musicians and a sea of white faces in the crowd. More of a racial mix in the south-side clubs, mostly white in the north-side clubs. And there are plenty of well known black musicians who were openly grateful to white blues musicians and their fans in the late 1960's and early 1970's, for generating interest in the music that gave them more of a career than they might have expected back in the 50's and early 60's.

Quote:
Leonard Chess continued to push Muddy Waters as a folk-blues artist to gain the interest of white fans; but at the same time, Waters was losing the support of his fellow black fans. His recorded work was now directed towards the young white public. He was angry at the fact that his own race was turning its back on him and on American blues music while the white kids were playing and respecting his music. For the next twenty years, Waters was put on the shelf and subjected to ridiculous album themes and forced to play with new bands. Although the musicians were extraordinarily good and very talented, Waters felt they couldn't play with the heart and soul he needed them to play with and that it wasn't a Muddy Waters sound they were producing. Fortunately, one man, another Mississippian named Johnny Winter, understood the difficulties Waters was enduring, and convinced Blue Sky to sign Waters. In just two days, Waters's comeback album, Hard Again, was produced and included the famous blues classic "Mannish Boy." Waters kept performing in Europe and America, more and more for the young white public. In 1981, he recorded his final album King Bee.

LaBlanc, Michael L., ed. Contemporary Musicians: Profiles of the People in Music. Volume IV. Michigan: Gale Research Inc., 1991.
"Hard Again" is one of the great blues albums of all time.

Last edited by Ike Bana; 01-09-2014 at 04:40 PM.