Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
Amusing watching the Insane clown trying to be "deep". He's about as deep as a mud puddle.
Gotta do something to deflect from the Covidiot's blatherings and fu*kups.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCricket View Post
I feel, in todays world, we are looking at filthy laundry through filthy windows.
I think you have a good point. I cleaned my windows in 1997, when I ended the use of any form of broadcast television in my home. I get all my news from print sources and international internet sources, as well as the BBC, NPR, etc.

I try to keep my window clean. What I've noticed is that there is actually both dirty and clean laundry. And I find myself constantly arguing with people using filthy windows, and no amount of evidence can convince them to apply some windex.

Actually, I spend less and less time bothering to tell them. I invoke Matthew 7:6 quite a bit:

"Do not give dogs what is holy; do not throw your pearls before swine. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces."

Speaking of analogies...
Old 10-15-2020, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
That's not what this thread is about. You are gaslighting.

Some of us can multitask and hold more than one thought/discussion. Not all of us are one trick ponies.

And this thread actually applies to the very subjects you mentioned.

I think I might start a thread about the New York Post's revelations about the content of Hunter's laptop hard drive...
Old 10-15-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
The earth does not rotate around the sun. We are the center of the universe. Everything rotates around us. And, BTW, the earth is flat too.
I stand corrected.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
More food for thought.
Whenever you get angry, it is because things are not going your way or are happening that you do not agree with. So, why is your measurement of the right and wrong, the correct and incorrect, more accurate than the person doing what makes you mad?
Very good point. I actually agree with that. But it is only the atheist's conundrum. It's actually a point I make about atheists in other forums that focus on the subject.

In a world without a higher power / God / creator, there is no right or wrong. There is no concept of morality. Each person chooses his own moral compass as he sees fit. He is his god.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyM View Post
Donny's enablers are doing exactly that with this ridiculous, already debunked, story about Hunter Biden's hard drive. Tellingly, it was shouted out to the low-information voters (like this Insane clown) who actually get their "news" from the NY Post, a ridiculous tabloid, then amplified throughout idiot-world via Faux, etc.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Amusing watching the Insane clown trying to be "deep". He's about as deep as a mud puddle.
Strong, with this one, the irony is.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Donny's enablers are doing exactly that with this ridiculous, already debunked, story about Hunter Biden's hard drive. Tellingly, it was shouted out to the low-information voters (like this Insane clown) who actually get their "news" from the NY Post, a ridiculous tabloid, then amplified throughout idiot-world via Faux, etc.
It was debunked? Where did you get that from?

Or is it just a BFC?

BTW, last I heard, the NY Post didn't have to settle out of court with a certain Kentucky high school student.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Insane View Post
Very good point. I actually agree with that. But it is only the atheist's conundrum. It's actually a point I make about atheists in other forums that focus on the subject.

In a world without a higher power / God / creator, there is no right or wrong. There is no concept of morality. Each person chooses his own moral compass as he sees fit. He is his god.
There are lots and lots of points to chew on in your post.
First, did god create morality or is he subject to it? If he created it, then it is arbitrary to him.

Second, is morality really dependent on the existence of a god? Can a person act morally if they do not believe in god? And therefore, can a person choose to follow morals? If they can, the question again, where the boundaries that create a moral?

What is the difference between an ethic and a moral? Can you be ethical and immoral, or reverse, unethical and moral?
Old 10-15-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
There are lots and lots of points to chew on in your post.
First, did god create morality or is he subject to it? If he created it, then it is arbitrary to him.

Second, is morality really dependent on the existence of a god? Can a person act morally if they do not believe in god? And therefore, can a person choose to follow morals? If they can, the question again, where the boundaries that create a moral?

What is the difference between an ethic and a moral? Can you be ethical and immoral, or reverse, unethical and moral?
If there is no god, "moral" is a subjective word. That's where the phrase, "situational ethics" comes from.

Ethics are like a code of conduct. Morality is about "right and wrong".

To use a simple hypothetical: Imagine the world has no god, and we really are just an accident of nature. If the UN has a code of ethics regarding its members, and one very powerful one ignores it and invades and absorbs its smaller neighbor neighbor - against the UN's code - it will probably suffer no "real" consequences other than a "stern warning" to not do it again.

What that country did was not immoral - it was not right or wrong. It merely violated the arbitrary rules set down by an organization that does not really have the power to enforce those rules (at least against this particular rule breaker).

When I worked at Boeing about 30 years ago, I watched how managers worked and were promoted. I found there were three types of managers:

1. Those that do everything by the book. They are risk averse and don't make decisions but, rather, defer to the "rule book". They may reach as high as second level management.
2. Those that break the rules - and it hurts the company. They are either demoted or fired.
3. Those that break the rules - and it helps the company. These are the CEO's, CIO's, CFO's, etc.

Volkswagen getting past the emissions tests with their diesels was genius and would have been an amazing accomplishment - had they not gotten caught. And it was not a moral decision. It was a business gamble, and they lost. The environmental impact is not even part of it since that is debated by people who specialize in that science. Rather. Politicians had set down arbitrary rules that VW thought were impossible to meet, and adjusted their technical response accordingly. It appears to be that it was either get around the rules or stop selling diesels. They chose the former.

People don't grasp that at the top levels of business, making decisions is a bit like driving a car in competition - you break the rules all the time if you want to survive at all. You just hope you don't do it too blatantly and get caught.

Basketball players break the rules all the time by fouling. A lot of them are intentional and everybody knows. Of course, when everybody knows, you may get a technical - and sometimes even then it was worth it. It's not about morality. It's about rules. Arbitrary rules set up by your peers.

Morality comes from a higher power, or it's just rules.