Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-05-2014, 06:36 PM

Intolerance From the Left?

http://news.yahoo.com/mozilla-ceos-e...6--sector.html

"Tech workers in Silicon Valley debated on Friday whether Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich got the comeuppance he deserved or was himself a victim of intolerance when he resigned under pressure this week amid outrage over his opposition to same-sex marriage.

Some, especially a dating website that had urged its users to boycott Mozilla's popular Firefox web browser, cheered Eich's resignation after less than two weeks as CEO of the nonprofit software company. Others viewed him as a victim and called his critics intolerant of people with different views.

Mozilla co-founder Eich, who invented the programming language Javascript, donated $1,000 in 2008 to support Proposition 8, which sought to ban same-sex marriage in California. Voters approved the measure, but it was struck down last June by the U.S. Supreme Court."

How dare a private citizen have an opinion or support a particular point of view. So, because he had a particular point of view, it was the right thing to do to commit economic blackmail against he and his non-profit?
Old 04-05-2014, 06:42 PM
Admin

Tough shit for him. If he wants to play in the economic sphere, mebbe he should've kept his piehole shut? Intolerance my ass.
Old 04-05-2014, 06:48 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Why tolerate bigots?
Old 04-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
How dare a private citizen have an opinion or support a particular point of view.
I have no issue with what a private citizen cares to do within the boundaries of legality. But it is naive to believe there can't be professional repercussions for unpopular public stances.

For example? I believe that a specific pseudo university in Lawrence, KS, catering to American Indians is a low rent diploma mill, at best. I have publicly indicated such.

Do you ever think they'd hire me, even to be janitor?

Of course not.

I accept this and so should Mr. Eich.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Why tolerate bigots?
That's the way I see it.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

These fuckers should be marginalized to the Fred Phelpsian fringe where they belong.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Ready

'Tolerance' means you don't persecute those you don't like, outside the proper freedom of action that is rightfully yours.

It would be intolerant and criminal to punch Brendan Eich in the nose because you don't approve of his views.

But there's no law saying one has to use Firefox. One may choose to 'boycott' it for any reason one wishes.
Old 04-05-2014, 09:38 PM
Loyal Opposition

Whell, you're just upset that economic influence can come to bear against a position that you favor. I see economic influence used to deny folks decent livings, to deny folks healthcare, to deny folks access to the vote, and in all sorts of untoward ways. Employers use their economic influence all of the time to stifle the way their employees might express themselves. And now you want to cry about it?????

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 04-06-2014, 05:05 AM
Admin

http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...#axzz2y6CTbb9u

Here's a better take on this.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/mozilla-ceos-e...6--sector.html

"Tech workers in Silicon Valley debated on Friday whether Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich got the comeuppance he deserved or was himself a victim of intolerance when he resigned under pressure this week amid outrage over his opposition to same-sex marriage.

Some, especially a dating website that had urged its users to boycott Mozilla's popular Firefox web browser, cheered Eich's resignation after less than two weeks as CEO of the nonprofit software company. Others viewed him as a victim and called his critics intolerant of people with different views.

Mozilla co-founder Eich, who invented the programming language Javascript, donated $1,000 in 2008 to support Proposition 8, which sought to ban same-sex marriage in California. Voters approved the measure, but it was struck down last June by the U.S. Supreme Court."

How dare a private citizen have an opinion or support a particular point of view. So, because he had a particular point of view, it was the right thing to do to commit economic blackmail against he and his non-profit?
Open up your festering piehole about political or social issues...openly support political or social issues...and there's a cost. Regardless of which side of the argument one is on, there's a cost. Particularly for high profile people. Eich has realized the cost to him, just like Natalie Manes did, just like Dennis Miller has, just like Jenny McCarthy has with her idiotic bleating about vaccinations. Poor Jenny...nobody in the skin trade is interested anymore...and it looks like she's gonna be spending the remainder of the rest of whatever mediocre career she ever had on The View.

Whell would like us to believe that the left has some sort of corner on the intolerance market. PFFFFFFFffffffffftttttt......

Last edited by Ike Bana; 04-07-2014 at 07:32 AM.