Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
You don't really worry about stuff like this do you? Buying school supplies?
So somewhere there are parents who can afford pencils but just decide not to so as to save a few dollars.

Hey I think a frisbee just landed in your front yard its those damn kids again,,,
I'm a grandparent of 4 school age children who live in struggling households. When the wife and I drop them off for school amid a line of $60K SUVs, it's obvious some parents have their priorities screwed up and it's at the expense of my family. Yes, I worry about stuff like this.

They fail to buy the supplies because they don't give a shit, not to save a few bucks.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:48 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
Then there's the school supplies scam that goes on all across the country, where parents are given a list of items their child should show up to school with on the first day. The list is bulked up way beyond what a single student would need, because they know not all the students will bring supplies.
End result is the parents who care about their kids education end up paying for supplies and those who don't give a shit don't pay a dime. Unfortunately, this in no way represents a needs based system, as many on the low end are far more concerned with their kids education than those higher up the food chain.
Perhaps the idea is to have extra supplies for children whose parents just can't afford them. Around here teachers spend their own money for such children.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Perhaps the idea is to have extra supplies for children whose parents just can't afford them. Around here teachers spend their own money for such children.

That is what my sister does.
She is a gym teacher and she goes to the second hand store and buys tennis shoes and shorts for her students who can't afford them. She has worked a second job during school breaks to afford such luxuries for her students.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:30 AM
Area Man

Good to see the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT going after corruption in Detroit. I suppose we should put a stop to this because it's the feds "meddling" in local affairs?

Note; At the center of this mess that sapped the taxpayer of millions and cheated Detroit kids of their right to quality education; A CORRUPT BUSINESSMAN.

Think about that.

He's just as much a disgusting fucking pig as the rest of them, IMO.

(Or should we assemble a prayer circle for him, kiss his ass and promise him tax cuts and deregulation?)

Last edited by BlueStreak; 09-11-2016 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:37 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Then there's the school supplies scam that goes on all across the country, where parents are given a list of items their child should show up to school with on the first day. The list is bulked up way beyond what a single student would need, because they know not all the students will bring supplies.
End result is the parents who care about their kids education end up paying for supplies and those who don't give a shit don't pay a dime. Unfortunately, this in no way represents a needs based system, as many on the low end are far more concerned with their kids education than those higher up the food chain.
Good grief where does this irrational obsession with stopping people from helping others out end with you? Seriously man, it's twisted. Get help.

Last edited by BlueStreak; 09-11-2016 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
That is what my sister does.
She is a gym teacher and she goes to the second hand store and buys tennis shoes and shorts for her students who can't afford them. She has worked a second job during school breaks to afford such luxuries for her students.
I don't think a lot people (read parents) realize the sacrifices teachers make, putting the well being of their students ahead of themselves. Yet they are one of the lowest paid professions that requires a college degree and a certification. Most of the public school funds is squandered by the bureaucrats (in my opinion).
Old 09-11-2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I'm a grandparent of 4 school age children who live in struggling households. When the wife and I drop them off for school amid a line of $60K SUVs, it's obvious some parents have their priorities screwed up and it's at the expense of my family. Yes, I worry about stuff like this.

They fail to buy the supplies because they don't give a shit, not to save a few bucks.
Something tells me that if a person drives 60k SUV (it must be a Mercedes or Lexus or BMW SUV) they most likely buy school supplies for their children.
Maybe it is your perception of who is driving the SUV rather than the vehicle itself. I mean for your premise to be true you would had to have followed the parent around to see if they bought some school supplies like some kind of undercover busybody
Old 09-11-2016, 11:19 AM
Admin

Quote:

The Palins drive around in 60K SUVs?

Cheapskate grifters.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:25 AM

And she did not even buy it with her own money.

http://www.thewire.com/national/2013...ns-suv/355362/
Old 09-11-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icenine View Post
Something tells me that if a person drives 60k SUV (it must be a Mercedes or Lexus or BMW SUV) they most likely buy school supplies for their children.
Maybe it is your perception of who is driving the SUV rather than the vehicle itself. I mean for your premise to be true you would had to have followed the parent around to see if they bought some school supplies like some kind of undercover busybody
Unless it's a "welfare queen" driving an Escalade.