Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:05 PM

Come on guys, this is just like that nut job that flew his Cesna into a building a few months ago. Everyone was trying as hard as they could to say he was a Tea Party guy. What if he was? I haven't seen a lot of them comiting acts of domestic terror.

Same with this guy. What if he has an Obama sticker on his Prius and contributes to the DNC campaign fund? What would that tell us? It would tell us that *this* crazy dude is a liberal. So?

Sounds like he had guns. So eveyone who has guns is a lunitic. He also watches cable TV. That proves that all people who watch cable TV are nut cases.

Give it a rest guys. This is stupid.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I'd say more left than right, but full-fledged wacko in any case - a dead one at that. I have not one ounce of sympathy for a guy that goes into a building with a gun and a bomb. As for his family, I extend my sympathies.

I think in cases like his, it's a matter of his pathology searching for a cause. I hope the lions, tigers and bears sleep well tonight.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I'd say more left than right, but full-fledged wacko in any case - a dead one at that. I have not one ounce of sympathy for a guy that goes into a building with a gun and a bomb. As for his family, I extend my sympathies.
I have a lot of sympathy for people like that. There must be terrible demons in their brain to drive them to that sort of desperate and deranged action. I wouldn't like to be them for one second.

That being said, sympathy is one thing. Tolerance is another. When someone does something like Lee did they need to be stopped before they can cause harm to another person. If that means a sharpshooter takes them out so be it. Quick and effective.

Quote:
I think in cases like his, it's a matter of his pathology searching for a cause. I hope the lions, tigers and bears sleep well tonight.
Me too.

John
Old 09-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Loyal Opposition

While those who are most concerned in protecting our habitat are generally liberals, that does not make his statement about protecting animals left-wing. The right would likely argue that preserving particular species or wildlife areas should yield to economic progress, liberals tend to see value in things that can not be measured in dollars and cents. I sincerely doubt that many committed leftists value the lives of animals above the lives of human beings, or subscribe to the idea that the planet should be evacuated of humans. Frankly, I don't ascribe such ideas to the right either. The guy is nuts.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-01-2010, 05:01 PM

I noticed he was Asian. I'm just sayin'. I'll be keeping an eye on *those* people now.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
While those who are most concerned in protecting our habitat are generally liberals, that does not make his statement about protecting animals left-wing. The right would likely argue that preserving particular species or wildlife areas should yield to economic progress, liberals tend to see value in things that can not be measured in dollars and cents.
I think one of the things which separates Left from Right is the way in which we perceive the value of things. The Left tends to look at the intrinsic, immutable value of a thing in its own right. The Right, on the other hand, would tend to view that same thing in terms of its relative value, its worth as a thing to be exploited, not to be valued for its own sake. The best example of this I can think of is the way in which people regard our planet.

John
Old 09-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
I noticed he was Asian. I'm just sayin'. I'll be keeping an eye on *those* people now.
Yeah, an Asian-American who hated "immigrant pollution".

John
Old 09-01-2010, 05:33 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I think one of the things which separates Left from Right is the way in which we perceive the value of things. The Left tends to look at the intrinsic, immutable value of a thing in its own right. The Right, on the other hand, would tend to view that same thing in terms of its relative value, its worth as a thing to be exploited, not to be valued for its own sake. The best example of this I can think of is the way in which people regard our planet.

John
When it comes to the environment, it's the left who generally argues for a conservative approach. In other words, we caution against unknown consequences of failing to preserve a species or a habitat, or other aspect of nature that could be permanently lost without stopping and taking a step back to see where we are going.

Cap and trade appear to be an uneasy mingling of the principles of environmental preservation and principles of capitalism. The goal of the program is environmental, but the tools used are clearly capitalist. The energy users who develop and implement the most efficient system of preventing carbon emissions are rewarded by being able to sell off their carbon rights - the get paid for finding ways to make the least negative impact on the environment. The conservatives will be able to see the cost of emissions in dollars and cents - the measure of value with which they are most comfortable.

Of course the discussion of the general political leanings of environmentalists is not exclusive. There are plenty of otherwise conservative people who see the value of preservation and are serious about taking action. There are probably some on the left who would see the opportunity to engage in economic development for poor communities to be worth some amount of environmental degradation.

Regards,

D-Ray

Last edited by d-ray657; 09-01-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post

John
So, those on the left can't enjoy baseball, because someone exploited a tree to make a baseball bat?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
So, those on the left can't enjoy baseball, because someone exploited a tree to make a baseball bat?
Exactly. Just like those on the right don't use highways because they're a waste of taxpayer dollars.