Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Odd that you would say this. It appears to me that inside the beltway Repubs and Dems are both busy trying to get the Dream Act pushed through, even if they do it in small pieces at a time.
Bonehead runs hot and cold on immigration reform. Hell Reagan gave amnesty carte blance to 6 million. Obama wants them to earn citizenship but that still is not good enough for Boehner and Rubio in fact Rubio welshed on his own proposal. I did it the legal way but AFAIK let them get citizxenship then all those hypocritical employers may have to pay decent salaries. Mind you the H1B visa program existed in colonial days, it was called bond servitude. The Dream Act is a proper thing but there is much more to reform than that.

The current bagger Congress hass simply pointed out the big flaw in tri-partite government. It only works with honorable men and women, or at least ones who know they must at least display some semblance of honour.

Last edited by merrylander; 04-04-2014 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Immigration reform containing all of those elements would still be opposed by the GOP. They've fostered resentment in their base towards immigrants and now have to kowtow to these nativists. Moreover, the industries that depend on a cheap docile workforce (agriculture, construction, hospitality) don't want reform either.
Baloney. No one has resentment toward immigrants. There is resentment against a government that seems either unable or unwilling to control its borders. Note the money statement from the OP:

"Expulsions of people (illegal immigrants) who are settled and working in the United States have fallen steadily since his first year in office, and are down more than 40% since 2009."

Sure, so called "catch and release" deportations appear to be on the increase now that they're being tracked and reported. But the flow of illegal immigration appears to be trending up. So the "word on the street" would appear to be that once someone can get into the country illegally, and get past the "catch and release" activity by the border, there's a high likelihood that they'll be able to stick around.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Baloney. No one has resentment toward immigrants. There is resentment against a government that seems either unable or unwilling to control its borders. Note the money statement from the OP:

"Expulsions of people (illegal immigrants) who are settled and working in the United States have fallen steadily since his first year in office, and are down more than 40% since 2009."

Sure, so called "catch and release" deportations appear to be on the increase now that they're being tracked and reported. But the flow of illegal immigration appears to be trending up. So the "word on the street" would appear to be that once someone can get into the country illegally, and get past the "catch and release" activity by the border, there's a high likelihood that they'll be able to stick around.
The key word being 'appears' because there are no effing jobs so why spend all that money on a coyote, risk dying in the desert, only to starve when you do make it. I don't know what planet you have been living on but there certainly is resentment toward illegals.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Baloney. No one has resentment toward immigrants. There is resentment against a government that seems either unable or unwilling to control its borders.
This is a profoundly dishonest statement and you know it.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Baloney. No one has resentment toward immigrants...
I guess it must be you turning a blind eye (and ear) to the anti-immigrant rhetoric from your party.

"For everyone who's a valedictorian, there's another 100 out there who weigh 130 pounds -- and they've got calves the size of cantaloupes because they're hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert."

- Steve King (R-Iowa)
Old 04-04-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
I guess it must be you turning a blind eye (and ear) to the anti-immigrant rhetoric from your party.

"For everyone who's a valedictorian, there's another 100 out there who weigh 130 pounds -- and they've got calves the size of cantaloupes because they're hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert."

- Steve King (R-Iowa)
Then there's "anchor babies".

John
Old 04-04-2014, 09:44 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
Never stopped him in the past.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I don't know what planet you have been living on but there certainly is resentment toward illegals.
Don't mix references/language. Finn said:

Quote:
They've fostered resentment in their base towards immigrants and now have to kowtow to these nativists.
I replied:

Quote:
Baloney. No one has resentment toward immigrants.
So, I stand by my statement that no one has a problem with legal immigrants and legal immigration. Yes, there is resentment toward illegals because what they are doing is ILLEGAL.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
I think you're being profoundly dishonest by insisting on propagating something that isn't factual.

Last edited by whell; 04-04-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:

- Steve King (R-Iowa)
“You cannot go to a 7-11 or a Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I’m not joking!” – Joe Biden, Vice President

We can throw crap around all day long and distract from the original post if that's what you want to do, Finn. Doesn't prove anything in the end except that we can throw crap.