Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Conspiracy theory corner
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreas View Post
That wasn't exactly a joke.

John
You must not watch much PBS!

Newshour (often in depth, nice, but biased)
Smiley
Rose (who I like anyway)
'Need to know' (puke, obvious drivel for the brainwashed kids)
That lady that does the one on one
Frontline can be good, but when it's preachin', it really preaches.
Heck even National Geographic, instead of telling about the various points of an animal/plant/region, now it gets all Lion King circle of life bleech. That's a bummer, I loved it. Nova has gone somewhat the same way but not as bad.

Pete
Old 08-18-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
You must not watch much PBS!

News and, as the name implies, one hour long. If you mean by biased that it's not a pro-right mouthpiece, I guess you're right.

Quote:
Smiley
Rose (who I like anyway)
'Need to know' (puke, obvious drivel for the brainwashed kids)
That lady that does the one on one

Not news

Quote:
Frontline can be good, but when it's preachin', it really preaches.
Heck even National Geographic, instead of telling about the various points of an animal/plant/region, now it gets all Lion King circle of life bleech. That's a bummer, I loved it. Nova has gone somewhat the same way but not as bad.
Well, the National Geographic (owned by Rupert Murdoch, by the way) isn't even on PBS. As for Frontline, it's in-depth analysis is often newsy and even political - but not always- so I'll give you half credit for that.

Nova is science, not politics or news. There's a difference, although the Right would like you to believe that scientific facts have a Liberal political bias.

John
Old 08-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
I think it's the least biased news on any network by a wide margin. If anything, it's neutral to a fault (to the point of being boring to those needing "hard-hitting" Hannity-style "news.") To defend Fox News while calling Jim Lehrer's program biased is patently absurd and perhaps even delusional.

I've come to conclude that many conservatives think that anything that is not "looney-fringe" right wing is biased (i.e., Rush and Fox are mainstream. Everything to their left is biased). Bottom line - I don't think many in the Right can handle the truth. It simply doesn't comport with their simplistic and twisted worldview.

Speaking for the people I know who are Fox viewers, they watch it to reinforce their worldview, not to inform themselves with regard to current events. To a man, all of them get confused, even angry when they hear a point-of-view that doesn't comport with what Fox fed them.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
Speaking for the people I know who are Fox viewers, they watch it to reinforce their worldview, not to inform themselves with regard to current events. To a man, all of them get confused, even angry when they hear a point-of-view that doesn't comport with what Fox fed them.
I said this exact thing in a PM to another member this morning. I firmly believe that Fox's primary mission is not to gain converts to the Church of Wingnuttia but to reinforce the beliefs of those who already "think the way they're supposed to" and further radicalize them.

John
Old 08-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Resident octogenarian

Newshour biased? Sure and I am the Queen of Romania.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:01 AM
Area Man

Quote:
I said this exact thing in a PM to another member this morning. I firmly believe that Fox's primary mission is not to gain converts to the Church of Wingnuttia but to reinforce the beliefs of those who already "think the way they're supposed to" and further radicalize them.

John
"The Church of Wingnuttia"?! Ah, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha,.....Love it!

Welcome to the Holy Church of Wingnuttia, with Pastor Sean Hannity, Deacon Glenn Beck, and of course our wonderfull Acolytes, Rush Limbaugh and Sarah Palin.

Todays sermon;
The love of money is the root of everything Great and Godly!

Todays Hymm;
Beat up a Fag for Jesus!

And our closing message this beautiful Sunday;
We don't hate Obama because he's black, it's because of all that other stuff that aint so nice, whatever it is.

Dave
Old 08-19-2010, 08:17 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Rob, of course I respect your opinion, your highness

Pete
Old 08-19-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post

Nothing necessarily odd about this, in much the same way as Fox tends to turn off those who don't care for Fox's presentation. However, I don't think you'll find to many Fox viewers also gravitating to MSNBC, CNN, or other sources for the same reason.

Many sources of news content present information from a particular point of view while at the same time holding themselves out as dispensers of "the facts". Nothing new about this. Leave it to the reader / listener / viewer to assimilate the information and make a determination about what they choose to believe.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Well, the National Geographic (owned by Rupert Murdoch, by the way) isn't even on PBS. John
Kind of a bummer, really. I don't have cable at home, so I don't get to see the National Geographic Channel. When National Geographic ran periodically on PBS, it was very entertaining.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:37 AM

We all do the things that validate our world view. It emboldens us when we find others who see the world the way we do. The trouble starts when we decide we're "right" and they're "wrong". We all do it and I'm not sure there's a way to stop. Only thing you can do is remember not to take yourself too seriously.