Go Back   Political Forums > The Unemployment Line
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-10-2023, 11:40 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
Its been clear to me for some now that the future is one where there are more people than jobs, possibly a LOT more.

What to do about that will become one of most difficult problems of the next century.
I assume you mean of this century. And no firm or combination of firms will solve it. They should, firms will mostly be destroyed if the economy is destroyed by the collapse of consumer demand. But it is too far outside the usual incentive and culture of business, all they will see is an imperative to dump workers or perish. So its a public problem that must be solved by insightful creative lawmaking. Congress seem up to that? I predict the economic death spiral will take hold way before anything can be done to counter it.

Last edited by donquixote99; 12-10-2023 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:35 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
What is being overlooked is the people loosing jobs to a computer.
Will the new AI programs doing the work of humans buy homes? Cars? Stereos? Pay taxes?
Yeah, Oerets! Who is going to buy those stereos. Minimum basic income follows or there will be chaos...a guy needs his stereo.

Last edited by Dondilion; 12-11-2023 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:43 AM

All across our collective history when there is a time with a ever increasing population of have not's. Will topple the old top tier in chaos and violence.
In this world of such interconnections and reliance on transportation of goods and supplies from far away lands. Any disruption to the flow will cause crisis and unrest. Furthering the effect of the unrest.

Just look at what C-19 did to the worlds economy.

We are at a tipping point for so many life threatening possibilities. Any one could be the starting of a cascading spiral downward.
Old 12-11-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
I assume you mean of this century. And no firm or combination of firms will solve it. They should, firms will mostly be destroyed if the economy is destroyed by the collapse of consumer demand. But it is too far outside the usual incentive and culture of business, all they will see is an imperative to dump workers or perish. So its a public problem that must be solved by insightful creative lawmaking. Congress seem up to that? I predict the economic death spiral will take hold way before anything can be done to counter it.
Yes actually I meant the next hundred years.

I think this is going to happen much sooner than we would like. The answer(s) is not easy. Some kind of universal base income maybe (?) although I suspect that would meet a lot of resistance.

Failure to do something to address it may cause societal upheaval of a magnitude we have never seen.