Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
I just want to drag the country back to the time of the founders.....in every respect. All of this medical research stuff is just the work of the devil anyhow. If leeches were good enough for George Washington they're good enough for everyone.
They still use leeches only now they are called PhARMA.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I did read the article and Alex Padilla has a good point. The consent forms would simply have to reflect whether a subject agrees to additional use of their DNA in other studies. The UC estimate of almost $600,000 anually in additional costs seems an extreme reading of the proposed law.

Just update the consent form and I think we would see very little additional cost involved in protecting the subjects wishes and privacy. Most donors would simply check a little box that authorizes other studies using their DNA.

easy peasy- I would avoid declaring everyones DNA as property of the species as I'm not convinced big pharma would act in my best interests.
Not to mention that I have doubts whether you and I are the same species..
Did I really say that? I swear I'm jus' kiddin', baaa..

Perhaps there IS intelligent life here on earth Bobby ! BAM
Old 05-22-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I just want to drag the country back to the time of the founders.....in every respect. All of this medical research stuff is just the work of the devil anyhow. If leeches were good enough for George Washington they're good enough for everyone.

Actually Dave,

George was Bleed Three Times, by three different doctors, for what they believe was Strep Throat.

Thus the term: They Bleed Him to Death.

Last edited by Big_Bill; 05-22-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:37 AM

Ever see the movie "Gattaca"? It's fictional, but it paints a picture of what could happen in a society where one's genetic inheritance is paramount. The issue of DNA privacy is a hugely important one. To say that vague "societal" needs outweigh an individual's rights to privacy, without presenting narrowly defined criteria for when that might be true, is to invite a Big Brother Totalitarianism, a communistic or faschistic nightmare in the future. It's not just possible, it's almost inevitable if everyone's right to privacy ceases to exist... which it will if people are not vigilant about it. "The death of 1,000 cuts" can apply well here.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where the right to privacy in general is being not just undermined and eroded, but blindly, foolishly relinquished. If most of the world ends up little better than slaves, or with little more choice than those in the fictional Gattaca, then it will be because of such step-by-step relinquishment as we are seeing today.
Old 06-04-2012, 04:53 PM
Area Man

Yeah. Stupid, boring movie. I try to base my thinking on what goes on in the real world. Not a big John Wayne fan either. Great actor, don't get me wrong. But he was never actually a cowboy, cop or war hero.

It was all fantasy.

Dave
Old 06-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Admin

Quote:
Yeah. Stupid, boring movie. I try to base my thinking on what goes on in the real world. Not a big John Wayne fan either. Great actor, don't get me wrong. But he was never actually a cowboy, cop or war hero.

It was all fantasy.

Dave
Yeah I thought Blade Runner was a more realistic portrayal of our wondrous and glowerius future. Heinlein had a few words on the subject,'Friday' was a good one except there ain't no offworld colonies to emigrate to and live that idolized rugged individualistic claptrap.