Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-20-2014, 09:35 AM
Admin

Like Detroit?
Old 01-20-2014, 09:52 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

LOL! Yeah. Or New Jersey, that crap's very familiar.

Pete
Old 01-20-2014, 10:08 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
Thank you Don.

Come on up to the home of the Dem machine and see reality. Not some hack news piece or talking point list or policy platform either, but hard time.

Pete
You don't get it do you Pete?

I'm one of those many former Republicans that has been disaffected by all the batshit craziness.

I'm the guy you need to get back in order to have any hope for electoral viability in the future.

And I can tell you right now, things don't look too good for Ya'll.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:33 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Sorry Tom, I don't want to go left of Obie & Co The GOP is already too much the government party for me already.

I did want to apologize for one thing, I didn't understand your link between the KKK and my comments. I figured it out over the weekend, mainly because I need a life. I wasn't kidding around about burning the sign because it was Obamas sign, it was a bad joke over dirty campaign tricks in general - the opponents' literature, not candidate specific.

I have not done anything like that since I was quite young and would fully support a good roughing up of anyone caught from either party.

Pete
Old 01-20-2014, 10:43 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Sorry Tom, I don't want to go left of Obie & Co The GOP is already too much the government party for me already.
I don't know how old you are Pete, but I assume you are younger than I am. From a historical perspective over my lifetime Obama is far from a leftist. IMO If anything he is to the right of Eisenhower and possibly even Nixon.

And from a world wide perspective, The United States is way way way more to the right than the rest of the world. I mean seriously Dude, people in Europe are laughing at you when you call Obama a lefty.

Quote:
I did want to apologize for one thing, I didn't understand your link between the KKK and my comments. I figured it out over the weekend, mainly because I need a life. I wasn't kidding around about burning the sign because it was Obamas sign, it was a bad joke over dirty campaign tricks in general - the opponents' literature, not candidate specific.

I have not done anything like that since I was quite young and would fully support a good roughing up of anyone caught from either party.

Pete
Fair enough. I was mostly taking the piss anyway.

I wouldn't shoot the people that stole my Obama sign either.

And I certainly wouldn't throw a bag of popcorn at them.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 01-20-2014 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
I figured it out over the weekend, mainly because I need a life.
Anyone who pisses away precious moments of their life on a frickin internet forum is pathetic.

I consider my post count to be the equivalent of a pile of empty booze bottles hidden away on the floor of the closet of an alcoholic. It is a source of immeasurable personal shame for me.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
That is a false equivalency.

Conservatives are extremely easy to "peg" as you call it.

They are by their very nature fearful of change and diversity.

Therefore they march together in lockstep like lemmings.

All you have to do is look at the congressional voting record of Republicans.

They block vote together on practically all significant issues.

And they practically excommunicate any of their members that dare to waver from the strict party line.

Being A Republican is a lot like being a member of the Mafia.

You seldom see that among Democrats.

It's the liberal side that has the big tent.

You will find more diversity among 10 liberals than you will among 1,000 conservatives.
In my experience, being a liberal means being open-minded. That includes being open to viewpoints opposing one's own - which might include viewpoints coming from someone who might be considered a conservative. For example, I occasionally find columns by Michael Gerson and Kathleen Parker to be enlightening. George Will even has something worthwhile to say sometimes - when it is about baseball. I might occasionally disagree with Robert Reich. Now if that disqualifies me as a liberal in your book, would that not make you just as guilty of the doctrinal orthodoxy of which you accuse the conservatives.

I don't see conservatives as monolithic. Indeed, as has been pointed out here, many coming from the right are not conservative at all. The recent terms of the Supreme Court demonstrate that. The right wing of this Court is as activist as the Warren Court. It has been activist in a way that facilitates the ability of the corporate class to consolidate power. The "personhood" of corporations has been greatly expanded. Property rights have taken precedence over other rights. The Court has ambitiously expanded the scope of the Second Amendment. Several long-standing precedents have been disregarded. Again, this is not conservative at all. If anything it is regressive.

Actually, regressive is probably the best term to describe many of the ideas from the right. And I suppose that there are many here who would never describe themselves as liberal, but who would nevertheless disagree with a number of the ideas oozing from the hard right.

I have been here long enough to be surprised to agree with some things said by people who I consider right-wing. Some here who articulate very well the opposition to right-wing positions, are full of shit when it comes to collective bargaining rights. There are several here who are nearly impossible to "peg" with a liberal or conservative label. Most people here would not seriously question my liberal/progressive bona fides. But I rarely doubt that the regular participants here, from whatever perspective they post, are sincere in their views. (I say regular participants, because the trolls quickly get bored and move on.)

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 01-20-2014, 11:10 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

In that case I'm quite the alc. Which may be true anyway.

I enjoy the banter and find common ground on some issues with just about everyone eventually.

Pete
Old 01-20-2014, 11:24 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
But I rarely doubt that the regular participants here, from whatever perspective they post, are sincere in their views. (I say regular participants, because the trolls quickly get bored and move on.)

Regards,

D-Ray
I agree with that.

This is a pretty good forum when it comes to shills and trolls.

There is a refreshing lack of them.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:13 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_4672966.html