Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:23 AM

THIS is how you do it

If you're going to partner with a city to build a new stadium, THIS is how you do it. You don't just build a homage to your team with public funds. You mix your own funds with other public and private funding and transform a whole section of the city.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-entertainment

The plan here is not just to build a stadium and "hope" that other development occurs at random. The plan is to build the stadium and transform the areas around the stadium as part of the overall construction plan. This will include a plan to build new living spaces, retail, office spaces and eateries.

THIS is cool!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:47 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
If you're going to partner with a city to build a new stadium, THIS is how you do it. You don't just build a homage to your team with public funds. You mix your own funds with other public and private funding and transform a whole section of the city.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-entertainment

The plan here is not just to build a stadium and "hope" that other development occurs at random. The plan is to build the stadium and transform the areas around the stadium as part of the overall construction plan. This will include a plan to build new living spaces, retail, office spaces and eateries.

THIS is cool!
Not gonna read it.

If you think it's good, it must be bad.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:50 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Joad View Post
Not gonna read it.

That seems to happen a lot around here.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:59 AM
Persona non grata

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
That seems to happen a lot around here.
I find it saves time.

But to tell you the truth I did read enough of it to get to the buzzwords "Public Private Partnership"

What I learned from my 31 years of working for the Florida Department of Transportation is that whenever you hear those words, what it means is that taxpayer dollars are going to be used to subsidize some developers money making scheme.

Last edited by Tom Joad; 07-21-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:30 AM
reflexionar

Quote:
I find it saves time.

But to tell you the truth I did read enough of it to get to the buzzwords "Public Private Partnership"

What I learned from my 31 years of working for the Florida Department of Transportation is that whenever you hear those words, what it means is that taxpayer dollars are going to be used to subsidize some developers money making scheme.
You mean like when it costs 450 million and is paid off at 262 million by the Detroit Downtown Development authority and only 188 million by the development company, which is owned by the Red Wings owners' son. Red Wings to keep ALL revenue and pay 11.5 million in rent for bond retirement? I take it we only want limited government on the federal scale?
Old 07-21-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Not gonna read it.

Wow. You're good.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:53 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

I have generally negative feelings about cities or states paying anything to help stadium owners build their venues. That said, there a (precious) few such projects where city/state financing has ended up being a good thing, though considerably more where it isn't. Detroit could well be one the good cases, but time will tell.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:58 AM

I hope they don't price out 30% of the season ticket holders, the working class fans, like the 49ers did with their new "elite" stadium. Eddie never would have done that.

Carl
Old 07-21-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
I hope they don't price out 30% of the season ticket holders, the working class fans, like the 49ers did with their new "elite" stadium. Eddie never would have done that.

Carl
I think the game is changing. More and more the "working class fans" are watching games view cable TV, and quite a few of those folks (me included) prefer that. The league and the owners make a pretty good buck off selling broadcast rights to those games, too.

Still, the Red Wings today have 20000 seats in their current home - The Joe Louis Arena - and they sell out almost every game.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Jigsawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Or if you can find one of them oligarchs like Mikhail Prokhorov, owner of the
Brooklyn Nets.