Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Politicalchat.org discussion boards > Politics and the Environment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:51 PM

Look Out!

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/frack...es-8C11073601#
Old 09-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Admin

Cool! When that fracking fluid reaches the Cuyahoga, Pete can light it on fire again. Fun times.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:01 AM

Those girly quakes are fine for them but we here on the Pacific coast don't need any of that kind of help.

Carl
Old 09-05-2013, 06:21 AM
Resident octogenarian

We here on the east coast are sitting on the oldest (read settled) mountain chain in NorAm yet we have had two quakes recently - go figure.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:14 AM

I grew up in Ohio Carl the thought of even the smallest quake there was considered in the realm of science fiction lol
Old 09-05-2013, 07:49 AM
Area Man

Great. Just what Youngstown needs-------a Catch 22 style disaster.

Economically, it's having a much needed positive impact.

But, they either put up with the negative environmental impact or lose yet another chance at prosperity.

Dave
Old 09-05-2013, 10:22 AM

What caused earthquakes before humans invented anything that used oil or gas, coal, etc?
Old 09-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I've lived 2 noticeable earthquakes in NE Ohio, one woke me up in in school suspension in HS, building shaking, and then just a few years ago in my backyard, I was out having a fire reading the paper when my chair suddenly lifted up and back down, very strange. There are many other minor quakes in Ohio.

Not that fracking isn't causing minor quakes. They taught us in school they were studying pumping water into the San Andreas fault to create small minor quakes, to prevent big ones.

Pete
Old 09-05-2013, 11:25 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly View Post
What caused earthquakes before humans invented anything that used oil or gas, coal, etc?
The earth is made up of several plates - they are called tectonic plates. At one time (according to the geologists) we were one big continent that has become what we see today by the plates sliding about on the planet's molten core. One plate may be heading north while the other is not moving and so the grind against each other (San Andreas fault).

Other plates may move directly against another plate so one dives under the other - creating a new mountain range.So yes there was a natural cause to earthquakes long before we climbed down out of the trees. That does not mean that man cannot cause quakes buggering about.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I've lived 2 noticeable earthquakes in NE Ohio, one woke me up in in school suspension in HS, building shaking, and then just a few years ago in my backyard, I was out having a fire reading the paper when my chair suddenly lifted up and back down, very strange. There are many other minor quakes in Ohio.

Not that fracking isn't causing minor quakes. They taught us in school they were studying pumping water into the San Andreas fault to create small minor quakes, to prevent big ones.

Pete
I never felt any but I have not been there since 1988.