Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:35 PM

There will have to be higher taxes as well as spending cuts. Despite the "trickle down" arguments, it seems pretty obvious that getting back to historical levels of progressive taxation (raising taxes more on the wealthy than on the middle and lower income groups) would harm our consumption driven economy far less than increasing taxes on the groups who already don't have enough money to spend. It's not clear to me that a modest increase in rates for the top tax brackets would make them oh-so-much less likely to "invest in job creating activities."

It's also time to close up the corporate tax evasion loopholes, impose taxes or duties on foreign companies or their products, and stop subsidizing foolish or unnecessary things.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:53 PM
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL View Post
There will have to be higher taxes as well as spending cuts. Despite the "trickle down"
that's trickle on
Old 03-24-2011, 12:10 AM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
That is why we have superiority. I'm not saying don't cut, but it isn't a panacea.

So blue, who said that?

Pete
I did. About two hundred posts ago.

Dave
Old 03-24-2011, 08:39 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Ah so. Found any starving people?

Right now, the poor pay less than they ever have in taxes and in many cases get more back. Thank you Bush

Pete
Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Abby Normal

Quote:

Right now, the poor pay less than they ever have in taxes and in many cases get more back. Thank you Bush

Pete
and that really pisses off the right doesn't it?

however it is not true
Old 03-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:

Pete
Ah so, the famous Boosh tax cuts, all I got outt of it was enough every two weeks to buy a pack of Marlboros, so I quit smoking.

I guess he did me a favour.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Relative Tax Burden: The pie chart highlights the share of total federal income tax paid by each income bracket. For example, taxpayers earning $55,000 pay 18% of the all taxes collected.

http://www.foxnews.com/topics/green-...initiative.htm Yes it's fox, 1st one I found, not exactly what I was looking for, happy to see more.

Pete
Old 03-24-2011, 11:30 AM
Resident octogenarian

So? the chart does not note that the top 1% also took 2/3 of all monetary increases in the last year.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:43 AM
Area Man

Quote:

Relative Tax Burden: The pie chart highlights the share of total federal income tax paid by each income bracket. For example, taxpayers earning $55,000 pay 18% of the all taxes collected.

http://www.foxnews.com/topics/green-...initiative.htm Yes it's fox, 1st one I found, not exactly what I was looking for, happy to see more.

Pete
$250k and up are ONLY paying 42% of the burden? That needs to change! They should pay all of it.

Dave
Old 03-24-2011, 02:58 PM

Yes, it would be interesting to overlay the percentage of the nation's income received by each of those tax brackets as well. By itself the chart is entirely meaningless. There are no conclusions that can be drawn from it.