Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:42 PM

Here's why Pete wants to stay forever...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...65D0OH20100614

Actually we just figured this out LAST YEAR. So the point is that the Afghans are sitting on a couple TRILLION$$ of mineral reserves including iron ore and rare earths. It's a little harder than poopy farming, but maybe they'll have a choice...
Old 06-24-2011, 05:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
Heroin is what puts food and clothes on Afgani's from the farmer's to the top of the gov't. We need to either buy it from them, teach them a better way to farm a living, or get out and leave them alone. Guns and missiles are not a long term solution.

Carl
The way I understand it is if they tried to grow something else, they would be forced to grow Poppy again or be killed. I heard a Republican say that they should grow Pomegranates...what an idiot .
It seems that the more Americans die over there, the harder it is to get out because the R's say they died for nothing if we bail. The sad truth is we keep sending more to their death for nothing. It's a vicious circle for sure.
I'm starting to wonder if it will end in my lifetime.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:26 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by djv8ga View Post
The way I understand it is if they tried to grow something else, they would be forced to grow Poppy again or be killed. I heard a Republican say that they should grow Pomegranates...what an idiot .
It seems that the more Americans die over there, the harder it is to get out because the R's say they died for nothing if we bail. The sad truth is we keep sending more to their death for nothing. It's a vicious circle for sure.
I'm starting to wonder if it will end in my lifetime.
"So, in order to ensure that those who have died have not died in vain, you propose that we send more to an almost certain death? Tell me this; At what point is your precious victory no longer worth the cost? When there is no one left to celebrate it?"------I forget where I read/heard that. But I will never forget it.

Dave
Old 06-25-2011, 06:54 AM
Resident octogenarian

Someone please define "win"?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
The sad truth is we keep sending more to their death for nothing other than oil.
Fixed it for you.

Carl
Old 06-25-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
Here's why Pete wants to stay forever...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/...65D0OH20100614

Actually we just figured this out LAST YEAR. So the point is that the Afghans are sitting on a couple TRILLION$$ of mineral reserves including iron ore and rare earths. It's a little harder than poopy farming, but maybe they'll have a choice...
Looks to me like the Chinese will mine and pay off the Afgan gov't. and the people will see very little. That is after we finish doing the dirty work for them of course.
Quote:
Two Chinese firms have committed themselves to a $4 billion investment in the vast Aynak copper mine, south of Kabul, the biggest non-military foreign investment so far in the country.

Another big contract to mine an estimated 1.8 billion tons of high-quality iron ore in the remote mountainous region of Hajigak is expected to open for international bidding this year.
Kinda like how Iraq is turning out.
Quote:
The cash-poor country recently auctioned off some of its largest oil fields, with Russian and Chinese companies winning the most lucrative contracts. According to analysts, the auction could boost Iraqi oil production from 2.5 million barrels per day to as much as 12 million by 2016, which would quadruple its capacity and make it a rival to Saudi Arabia, the world’s biggest oil producer.
http://www.heatingoil.com/blog/iraq-...il-prices1229/

Carl
Old 06-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
"So, in order to ensure that those who have died have not died in vain, you propose that we send more to an almost certain death? Tell me this; At what point is your precious victory no longer worth the cost? When there is no one left to celebrate it?"------I forget where I read/heard that. But I will never forget it.

Dave
WTF??? No, I'm saying thats what people like your hero McCain says. I say nuke the whole damn thing or get the fuck out.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:11 AM
Area Man

Figures. Our government would send our kids to die fighting for (Insert vapid, patriotic sounding slogan here.) and the Chinese and Russians walk away with all of the real assets.

Dave
Old 06-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Figures. Our government would send our kids to die fighting for (Insert vapid, patriotic sounding slogan here.) and the Chinese and Russians walk away with all of the real assets.

Dave
You sound like Trump.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
WTF??? No, I'm saying thats what people like your hero McCain says. I say nuke the whole damn thing or get the fuck out.
Uhh, wouldn't it be better to get out first then nuke it?