Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
So, what's wrong here, Pete? Many of the articles in that link are opinion pieces. The rest? I'm not going to read them all but my actual experience of seeing actual reporting on al Jazeera tells me that they're a lot more objective than FOX, MSNBC and CNN.

John
Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Those are all opinion pieces and a necessary counterpoint to our media's obligatory kowtowing to Israel. Hell, even my son reads Al Jazeera English and he works within the Israel Ministry of Defense.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I suppose, as long as you know the anti-'Zionist' (spit) bias. Still bears intellectual carefulness though imo.

Pete
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I suppose, as long as you know the anti-'Zionist' (spit) bias. Still bears intellectual carefulness though imo.

Pete
Horse shit.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:

Pete
Which is perhaps necessary to counteract our reflexive pro-Israel bias. Interestingly, one is free to openly express their views on Israeli foreign policy within Israel. Not so much here though. Just ask Chuck Hagel.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:20 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

John I take two steps back.

I'm not sure of AJs motives. I realise in any large Islamic organisation there will be personal animosity towards Israel as a matter of course. But again what AJs corporate desires are is unknown to me.

I see that they sometimes have female anchors - without headdresses and with makeup - on AJ English (yes I watch occasionally). Wonder how their more domestic anchors look?

Pete
Old 01-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Pat agreed the US is pro-Israel.

But this cartoon looks awfully familiar to me in form and message. At least he's only burying the Palestinian.

Pete
Old 01-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

"In the 2000s, the network was praised by the Index on Censorship for circumventing censorship and contributing to the free exchange of information in the Arab world, and by the Webby Awards, who nominated it as one of the five best news web sites, along with BBC News, National Geographic and The Smoking Gun. It was also voted by brandchannel.com readers as the fifth most influential global brand behind Apple, Google, Ikea and Starbucks. In 2011 Salon.com noted Al Jazeera's coverage of the 2011 Egyptian protests as superior to that of the American news media, while U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton also opined that the network's news coverage was more informative, and less opinion-driven than American journalism."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jazeera
Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
John I take two steps back.

I'm not sure of AJs motives. I realise in any large Islamic organisation there will be personal animosity towards Israel as a matter of course. But again what AJs corporate desires are is unknown to me.

I see that they sometimes have female anchors - without headdresses and with makeup - on AJ English (yes I watch occasionally). Wonder how their more domestic anchors look?

Pete
Pete, I think you need to understand that al Jazeera is not an Islamic organization. It's a project of the Qartari government (i.e. Qartari royal family) which is pretty damn secular. They have had to tone down their criticism of Islam and radical movements within Islam somewhat. (It was really prominent when al Jazeera first went on the air.) They still do it though. They just have to parse their words a bit.

And, yes, they have lots of female news readers and correspondents and very seldom are they veiled.

I also think you should read a little about Zionism, especially in its more radical forms as espoused by some Likud Party members and by movements like the Neo-Zionists.

John
Old 01-03-2013, 12:52 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I can't find any video footage of their broadcasts outside of their English subsidy.

Pete