Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:56 PM

Addiction and automatic weapons link found.

As with any who have shot weapons knows, yes it is thrilling to shoot fast and spray lead down rage. I for one is not surprised that Dopamine is released in the brain of a shooter.

Forbes has a article into the study on this phenomenon.

"Addicted To Bang: The Neuroscience of the Gun"
http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenko...ce-of-the-gun/

Now I can see a little better why some love their guns so much more then the lives of others.

Barney

Last edited by Oerets; 01-14-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Blasting away with a pistol or semi-automatic is indeed a lot of fun, if a bit expensive. I'm more of bolt action, even muzzleloader, kinda guy though. Striving for extreme accuracy is my kind of fun. Spraying the countryside with lead, not so much.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:15 PM
Admin

I quit darts cold turkey because of this or maybe it's was the Black and Tans that were messing with my judgement?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 AM

I am just not big on weapons. I qualified with one in 1990 on Okinawa. And for ten years after that did not touch one. After 9-11 I was stationed on the Boxer and because of Force Protection it was decreed that those on Watch (I was the Officer of the Deck ) would carry a weapon with live rounds. So one night I have watch and go down to the armory and the guy on duty goes you ever have a weapon? I said yes 10 years ago....so he just hands me a weapon with fully loaded magazine. Just like that no training or requal necessary. Luckily I did not have to use it but boy I felt really strange being given such responsibility on the spot. The training program took a back seat to meeting War on Terrorism Force Protection requirements. Eventually the ship did have me re-qualify at a range in El Cajon .
Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 AM

One of the biggest problems with the whole gun debate, is the amount of untrained owners of assault weapons. In my state one needs not even be trained to obtain a CC pistol permit. A lifetime one at that!

I see them all the time at the range. Just like the last time when a couple with their first 22's show up. Drive a steel rod into the ground less then ten feet in front of them with a plywood target u-bolted to it. When made aware by myself and others they basically said to mind our own business and shut the FK up! So we packed up and left.

Barney
Old 01-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
One of the biggest problems with the whole gun debate, is the amount of untrained owners of assault weapons. In my state one needs not even be trained to obtain a CC pistol permit. A lifetime one at that!

I see them all the time at the range. Just like the last time when a couple with their first 22's show up. Drive a steel rod into the ground less then ten feet in front of them with a plywood target u-bolted to it. When made aware by myself and others they basically said to mind our own business and shut the FK up! So we packed up and left.

Barney
Yep. I ran a rifle range at Goshen Scout Camps in the Virginia mountains for two summers, have taught NRA Hunter Safety (back when), and am still a Range Safety Officer at my club and an avid hunter (though mostly a bowhunter nowadays), and I can honestly say that I trust far fewer than half, maybe a quarter, of people that I know who own firearms to adhere strictly to gun safety rules.

Generally, I found that 2nd Amendment absolutists are the ones I trust least with a gun in their hands. A lot of them fall into the "boys with toys" camp.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

I agree Finn, I enjoy target shooting with bolt action rifles too. That said the AR-15 is indeed a rush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerets View Post
Now I can see a little better why some love their guns so much more then the lives of others.

Barney
That's a bit harsh no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
I quit darts cold turkey because of this or maybe it's was the Black and Tans that were messing with my judgement?
Lol!! YU handling dangerous weapons?

Pete
Old 01-15-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

That's a bit harsh no?

Pete
Not from where I'm at! We get all the macho types who spout the "nuke um all" "Let God sort it out"

If you don't believe me, this is about thirty miles from where I'm at. They have a big auto-weapons show. Come and see the crowd, a real eye opener.

http://www.knobcreekrange.com/

http://www.knobcreekrange.com/media/gallery?show=slide
Barney
Old 01-15-2013, 12:33 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

The first time I saw a large gun show, not that long ago, I was surprised at the number of survivalists. There were also a number of hunters and outdoorsmen. Of course, I was there too

"Freedom ain't free! But shootin' is cheap!' LMAO!!

Pete
Old 01-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post
I agree Finn, I enjoy target shooting with bolt action rifles too. That said the AR-15 is indeed a rush.

That's a bit harsh no?

Lol!! YU handling dangerous weapons?

Pete
In the wrong hands a Guiness Stout and Bass Ale is indeed a dangerous weapon. No Irish pubs in Cleveland?