in keeping this site going.

Old 04-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Area Man

Dave
Old 04-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
Really? So that absolute ONLY PLACE that Obama could go to find dollars to cut spending to align to the sequester was to inconvenience travelers and screw air traffic controllers? Or families visiting the White House? Or folks wanting tours of NASA?

I guess these are programs critical to the security and stability of the United States, so Obama and company just couldn't find a way to do without them. I guess the following "bloat" was just asking too much to do without.

The federal government has shelled out $3 million to researchers at the University of California at Irvine to fund their research on video games such as World of Warcraft.

The Department of Health and Human Services plans to spend $500 million on a program that will, among other things, seek to solve the problem of 5-year-old children that “can’t sit still” in a kindergarten classroom.

According to USA Today, 13 different government agencies “fund 209 different science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education programs — and 173 of those programs overlap with at least one other program.

A total of $615,000 was given to the University of California at Santa Cruz to digitize photos, T-shirts and concert tickets belonging to the Grateful Dead.

One professor at Stanford University was given $239,100 to study how Americans use the Internet to find love.

A total of $1.8 million was spent on a “museum of neon signs” in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The federal government spends $25 billion dollars a year maintaining federal buildings that are either unused or totally vacant.

These are just a few of the many, many, many stupid spending decisions that are made with our tax dollars. But it was more important to the Prez to use the sequester to make a political statement, and screw a whole lot of folks in the process.
Oh, now you're a supporter of the ATC union? Gimme a break.

I don't mind the Grateful Dead expenditure, tho. Why do you hate music, whellie?
Old 04-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobabode View Post
Oh, now you're a supporter of the ATC union? Gimme a break.

I don't mind the Grateful Dead expenditure, tho. Why do you hate music, whellie?
I want to see that "Museum of Neon Signs". Sounds really cool. 1.8 million for that aint bad, really. I suppose that money would have been better spent on developing new torture techniques? Or maybe they could have given it to Governor Walker so he could use it to screw more workers?

Dave
Old 04-26-2013, 01:35 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
Yep 'cause right at the moment they are passing legislation to exempt the FAA.
I wonder how that slack will be made up? Slash Headstart some more? Medicare? Social Security?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:10 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Really? So that absolute ONLY PLACE that Obama could go to find dollars to cut spending to align to the sequester was to inconvenience travelers and screw air traffic controllers? Or families visiting the White House? Or folks wanting tours of NASA?

I guess these are programs critical to the security and stability of the United States, so Obama and company just couldn't find a way to do without them. I guess the following "bloat" was just asking too much to do without.

The federal government has shelled out $3 million to researchers at the University of California at Irvine to fund their research on video games such as World of Warcraft.

The Department of Health and Human Services plans to spend $500 million on a program that will, among other things, seek to solve the problem of 5-year-old children that “can’t sit still” in a kindergarten classroom.

According to USA Today, 13 different government agencies “fund 209 different science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education programs — and 173 of those programs overlap with at least one other program.

A total of $615,000 was given to the University of California at Santa Cruz to digitize photos, T-shirts and concert tickets belonging to the Grateful Dead.

One professor at Stanford University was given $239,100 to study how Americans use the Internet to find love.

A total of $1.8 million was spent on a “museum of neon signs” in Las Vegas, Nevada.

The federal government spends $25 billion dollars a year maintaining federal buildings that are either unused or totally vacant.

These are just a few of the many, many, many stupid spending decisions that are made with our tax dollars. But it was more important to the Prez to use the sequester to make a political statement, and screw a whole lot of folks in the process.
Uh Whell, civic lesson 101 - Congress does the spending not the Prez.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:11 PM
Area Man

For the record, no I don't support the FAA cuts. And, I hope further furloughs can be avoided/everyone can go back to work.

I just find the howling from the right over this and the Texas aid thing to be hilarious. It speaks volumes.

It really does.

Dave
Old 04-26-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Whell,
For each and every one of those expenditures, the gov had to have input from the public before spending the money.

How many public hearings did you attend to express your opinion on those expenditures?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 PM
Admin

The irony is lost on them, as usual, Dave. Gotta love these laundry lists of tragic and unholy expenditures whilst scrupulously avoiding to mention where they cut and pasted them from. I'm sure they are mendaciously posting the unfair treatment garnered here over at Blaze as we speak...

Last edited by bobabode; 04-26-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:24 PM

The airlines should have done the furloughs like they do for us where I work. We all still come to work every day but our furlough time is swapped for time on the books.
No loss in work productivity.

We had furloughs for quite some time and congress hasn't rushed to to find any solution.... Oh wait, where I work, we provide essential services for the needy... Not exactly a priority I guess.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
The airlines should have done the furloughs like they do for us where I work. We all still come to work every day but our furlough time is swapped for time on the books.
No loss in work productivity.

We had furloughs for quite some time and congress hasn't rushed to to find any solution.... Oh wait, where I work, we provide essential services for the needy... Not exactly a priority I guess.
Oh, so YOU'RE the one that doles out the welfare?

Dave