Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-07-2017, 09:14 AM

Most Counties Will Have Free 2018 Exchange Plans for Low-Income Enrollees

We heard much doom and gloom in the mainstream press and from the Dems regarding the decision to stop paying Obama's less than legal subsidies to insurance companies. Low and behold, a study was released by an independent healthcare consultancy that paints a very different picture.

http://avalere.com/expertise/managed...come-enrollees

In 2018, these highly-subsidized consumers will also have access to free silver plan options in 18% of counties. Further, 10% of counties will have free gold plan options available to individuals making $18,090, or 150% of poverty, per year. While availability of free subsidized options decreases for individuals with higher incomes, 2018 will have a high number of free subsidized options.

Avalere experts link the increased availability of free plan options to the Administration’s decision to end cost-sharing reduction (CSR) payments to insurers. This decision has led to substantially higher premium subsidies in 2018, as insurers increase premium levels to make up for the lack of CSR payments.

One thing that the media failed to report is that carriers participating in the marketplace have known since last year that the CSR payments were on thin ice. So, even before Trump ended the CSR payments, the carriers had filed two sets of marketplace rates with state insurance regulators: one set anticipating that the CSR payments would be terminated, and one set without CSR payments factored in.

Just tryin' to provide some balance here for all the...umm..."news" that you guys get yourselves all worked up about.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:28 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
We heard much doom and gloom in the mainstream press and from the Dems regarding the decision to stop paying Obama's less than legal subsidies to insurance companies. Low and behold, a study was released by an independent healthcare consultancy that paints a very different picture...
So, you've gone from a "repeal and replace" guy to "make necessary fixes to Obamacare" guy? Welcome to the club.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:37 AM

I'd like to see what the plans cover....
Generally, when it comes to insurance, the lower the premiums, the higher the co pay.
An insurance policy with a low premium doesn't do the low income person much good if he can't afford the copay.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
One thing that the media failed to report is that carriers participating in the marketplace have known since last year that the CSR payments were on thin ice.
In fact, that’s been widely reported by the MSM for months now.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
So, you've gone from a "repeal and replace" guy to "make necessary fixes to Obamacare" guy? Welcome to the club.
None of the above.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
I'd like to see what the plans cover....
Generally, when it comes to insurance, the lower the premiums, the higher the co pay.
An insurance policy with a low premium doesn't do the low income person much good if he can't afford the copay.
"Silver" plans, by ACA definition, cover at minimum 70% of expected medical expenses. Also, remember that on these plans there is no copay or deductible for a host of preventive and diagnostic services.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicks View Post
In fact, that’s been widely reported by the MSM for months now.
Uh, not it hasn't. But if you'd care to demonstrate that by citing your source, I'd be happy to reconsider.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Uh, not it hasn't. But if you'd care to demonstrate that by citing your source, I'd be happy to reconsider.

I can't give you sources right now but I've seen it reported quite a bit in the media.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:13 AM

Most Counties Will Have Free 2018 Exchange Plans for Low-Income Enrollees

Quote:
"Silver" plans, by ACA definition, cover at minimum 70% of expected medical expenses. Also, remember that on these plans there is no copay or deductible for a host of preventive and diagnostic services.

http://www.medicoverage.com/health-i...-gold-platinum

No copay for some diagnostic services.... but compare the copay and deductibles in the link.

A lot of low income people would not be able to afford the deductible and copay without the subsidy.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Admin

Quote:
You are the one making the wild claim that none of this is being reported in the MSM. It's on you to provide the basis for such claims, Mike.