Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:10 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

I heard a funny (maybe not so funny) remark the other day. It seems there are approximately 2000 SEALS assigned to the Naval Special Warfare Command, but every weekend there are about 20,000 "SEALS" in the bars and taverns across this country.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJIII View Post
I heard a funny (maybe not so funny) remark the other day. It seems there are approximately 2000 SEALS assigned to the Naval Special Warfare Command, but every weekend there are about 20,000 "SEALS" in the bars and taverns across this country.
No kidding, that many???

No wonder I couldn't get any fuzz back when I told the girls I was a prison guard.

Maybe I should have lied and told them I was on the goon squad.

Chas
Old 10-25-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
I wonder how real SEALS react when they encounter the fake ones. I cannot imagine that it would be pretty!

Right after my father retired, he talked to a fake Phantom driver once in a restaurant who was wearing an Air Force uniform improperly. It took him about 10sec to realize the guy was a total fake. I was however not aware, until recently, that this sort of this was so widespread.

Last edited by Krazygrrl; 10-25-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:07 AM

The Vietnam vets I know basically do not talk about their experience "in country" much. A guy I used to go to turkey shoots and western shoots with in the 80's was in Vietnam for eight years. All I learned about his experience there was that he was Black OPs in Laos and Cambodia. If you even mentioned Vietnam to him while having a few beers and laughing it up at the bar, his mood would instantly change. He would frown and withdraw into himself and would not say another word the rest of the night. I will say one thing about Dan, he could shot a gnat off a fleas ass at 20 yards with a lever action Winchester rifle. I can only imagine his range would increase a lot if he had an M14 in his hands.

You can recognize the ones who were actually "in the shit". Sad thing is, we have thousands more of them coming home everyday now. By all means, buy them a drink if you get the chance.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrr View Post
The Vietnam vets I know basically do not talk about their experience "in country" much. A guy I used to go to turkey shoots and western shoots with in the 80's was in Vietnam for eight years. All I learned about his experience there was that he was Black OPs in Laos and Cambodia. If you even mentioned Vietnam to him while having a few beers and laughing it up at the bar, his mood would instantly change. He would frown and withdraw into himself and would not say another word the rest of the night. I will say one thing about Dan, he could shot a gnat off a fleas ass at 20 yards with a lever action Winchester rifle. I can only imagine his range would increase a lot if he had an M14 in his hands.

You can recognize the ones who were actually "in the shit". Sad thing is, we have thousands more of them coming home everyday now. By all means, buy them a drink if you get the chance.
That has been my observation too. Soldiers will generally not talk about combat missions. My father, who served in Vietnam, talked a lot about flying. He hardly ever said anything about any sort of combat mission or what happened.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Now I'm more kindly towards our veterans than you, but I do see your point...

...BTW, I can appreciate your difficulty in convincing your race that their is another way.

Chas
Well, I'm not unkindly.

It can be hard to impart via writing the subtleties and complexities I feel on both subjects without you seeing me take a long pull from my beer, a deep breath, sigh, a drag from a good cigar during a pregnant pause, then begin with "you know..."
Old 10-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Resident octogenarian

This all makes me think of a friend of my Dad's who won the DCM in WW I. When asked about it he would tell a tale of being on guard duty and hearing a noise in the brush. He would say that he challenged three time before firing. In the morning they found a dead cat and he would say that DCM meant Distinguished Cat Murderer.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Well, I'm not unkindly.

It can be hard to impart via writing the subtleties and complexities I feel on both subjects without you seeing me take a long pull from my beer, a deep breath, sigh, a drag from a good cigar during a pregnant pause, then begin with "you know..."
I know what you mean.

Chas
Old 10-25-2011, 01:00 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazygrrl View Post
I wonder how real SEALS react when they encounter the fake ones. I cannot imagine that it would be pretty!
Probably some pity involved.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
I wonder if the "SEAL" population in the nightclubs increased dramatically after the demise of Bin Laden?

Regards,

D-Ray