Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Religion & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Btw Rob I agree. However since He died for all it does reinforce a democratic POV and the cultures that birthed modern democracy bear that out.

Pete
Old 09-23-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Have you noticed churches are beginning to define themselves in terms of liberal or conservative? Politics is creeping it's way into religion. Yes, it's always been there to some degree, but it's getting more prevalent.
Maybe you're catching up. If I recall school history, the U.S.A. started with an attempt to separate Church and State. We didn't have this sane starting point, our politics were linked to different branches of assorted faiths from day one.

The nearest we got to separating Church from State was Oliver Cromwell helping separate King Charles's head from his neck. Cromwell. Leader of the New Model Army. Dour and miserable. About as much fun as a wet fart, even he had to accept that his life started in the traditional manner. Heaven Forfend that either of the participants enjoyed it.

Humans need religion, that's why we invented it. Taking religion out of politics merely replaces it with something else. A long string of something elses from Stalin to Pol Pot, all replacing religion with different varieties of "Dear Leader".

Great line from Steven King's 'The Mist'; "As a species we're clinically insane"
Old 09-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combwork View Post
Maybe you're catching up. If I recall school history, the U.S.A. started with an attempt to separate Church and State. We didn't have this sane starting point, our politics were linked to different branches of assorted faiths from day one.

The nearest we got to separating Church from State was Oliver Cromwell helping separate King Charles's head from his neck. Cromwell. Leader of the New Model Army. Dour and miserable. About as much fun as a wet fart, even he had to accept that his life started in the traditional manner. Heaven Forfend that either of the participants enjoyed it.

Humans need religion, that's why we invented it. Taking religion out of politics merely replaces it with something else. A long string of something elses from Stalin to Pol Pot, all replacing religion with different varieties of "Dear Leader".

Great line from Steven King's 'The Mist'; "As a species we're clinically insane"
Hiya Stranger, how goes it?

When Dad emigrated in 1906 I can't be sure it was lousy job market or the fact that he was a Wesleyan in a land ruled by the CoE. Regardless he settled in Canada.

As far as separation all that really meant was there shall be no state church. I can no more separate my beliefs from my politics than I can fly off the roof.

The difference is that I know what I believe and it suits me just fine. As for my fellows you will just have to go and find your own set of beliefs because I can't do it for you.

Yes I suspect that we are else we just might wake up and smell the roses.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:

Possibly his best work to date. I do like the Bachman Books as well.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:10 AM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

That's a great post Rob.

Comb 'separate King Charles's head from his neck' lol!

Pete
Old 09-25-2013, 07:05 PM
Area Man

Quote:

Yes, it appears most people do. For me it's always been good enough to think all of the assorted mutts I've had await me on the other side. I'm not too sure I want to see many of the people I've known there............that would be Hell.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:10 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post

As far as separation all that really meant was there shall be no state church. I can no more separate my beliefs from my politics than I can fly off the roof.
I have no desire to use the force of government to push my spiritual beliefs on others. Some folks apparently do. I call the former "separation" and the latter something far less desirable.

Dave
Old 10-21-2013, 03:08 PM
Resident octogenarian

I am in the middle of writing a novel (Yeah I know the old fart has gone off the deep end). There comes a point where a Protestant lad is engaged to a young Catholic girl. In such cases it is normal for the parish priest to 'instruct' the lad. They way it turned out the lad informs the good Father of his beliefs (Really mine) and as a result he is asked to give the Gospel reading the next Sunday. Now despite arthritis in my hands and eyesight not what it was the words flew onto the screen. Yet I had never articulated my beliefs before, I just knew what I believed. Strangly enough I did not have to edit what I wrote.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex E. View Post
Possibly his best work to date. I do like the Bachman Books as well.
Wizard and Glass I would say.