Go Back   Political Forums > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-24-2009, 11:57 AM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
"In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such, because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as others have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other."

Excerpt from Ben Franklin's speech at the Philadelphia Convention. Quoted without comment.
Looks like the writing has been on the wall for quite a while doesn't it?
Old 07-25-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
"In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such, because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as others have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other."

Excerpt from Ben Franklin's speech at the Philadelphia Convention. Quoted without comment.
Nice find, my hat's off to you, Sir.

Always being a fan of Natural Law (is that Locke...been a long time since skool), I can live with a ruling equal, but I have no use for a master.

Kind of reminds me of a magazine article I read years ago where the author suggested ditching the Stars and Stripes for the Gadsden Flag. As he put it, "Fuck with me and I'll kill you, what a great slogan for a country!"

IMHO, what a great slogan for everyone, but us Scott/Irish always have been hard heads.

Chas
Old 07-26-2009, 06:42 AM

Does anyone else think it's odd that a democracy even has Czars?

I think it's just another way to get your buddy who gave you a truck load of cash during your campaign a job.

I remember the Drug Czar, I see a Czar worked on that problem.
Old 07-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Resident octogenarian

Chas, I found that speech of Franklin's in Madison's "Notes of Debates in the Federal Convention of 1787" ISBN 0-393-30405-1, published by W. W. Norton & Company.

I poersonally think it should be required reading in our schools - I have been through it three times so far. I picked it up along with the Federalist Papers prior to my naturaliztion hearing as I thought I might get some tough questions. Ha! You are required to write an English sentence as part of the procedure, some of the people in the waiting room I doubt could have done so.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Resident octogenarian

Then there are "No Knock" warrants that just tossed the 4th and 6th Ammendments in the crapper.