Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:36 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL View Post
I wonder why the gov't didn't get serious about CAFE standards instead? How many MPGs better would the fleet have to achieve to equal the energy savings from these bulbs?
It needs to be attacked on all fronts. Gas mileage needs to be improved; electricity usage needs to be decreased; habits have to be changed.

If this move toward more energy efficient lighting is not important, do you think the government could have withstood the pressure from lobbyists? Advertising has encouraged excessive usage of energy for years. Advertising is just a more subtle means of directing people's behavior. It requires stronger measures to respond.

I changed to CFD's more than five years ago. Even though I use the average pay plan for my electric bill, it did not take long to notice the improvement. Our bill went down as the rates were going up. Got another big chunk of savings when we replaced our old heater and air conditioner with a heat pump and a three stage gas heater. With the regular rate increases, I would hate to see what our electric bill would be now.

The headline for the $50 light bulb just so much hyperbole. As the cited article shows, as the market expands, and technology improves, the price of the bulbs will drop.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-17-2011, 03:43 PM

Actually BlueStreak:

Think about all those "wall wart" adapters that you have for everything. It's just mind boggling how many of those pile up. Those things are another consequence of having just 120V AC mains.

Ideally, you'd still have 120VAC service for the big stuff that uses motors and heating coils. But we also need to think about running a DC bus (probably in the range of 24VDC from a centralized conditioner at the home. That way all those wall warts go bye-bye and your lighting/electronics becomes simpler and more innovative.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-ray657 View Post
It needs to be attacked on all fronts. Gas mileage needs to be improved; electricity usage needs to be decreased; habits have to be changed.
I agree with this 100%, and didn't mean my post to imply otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacaltenn View Post
Actually BlueStreak:

Think about all those "wall wart" adapters that you have for everything. It's just mind boggling how many of those pile up. Those things are another consequence of having just 120V AC mains.

Ideally, you'd still have 120VAC service for the big stuff that uses motors and heating coils. But we also need to think about running a DC bus (probably in the range of 24VDC from a centralized conditioner at the home. That way all those wall warts go bye-bye and your lighting/electronics becomes simpler and more innovative.
I think this is a good idea, and I bet it will happen before too long.

Can we also get a ~400 VDC bus for our tube audio gear?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL View Post
I think this is a good idea, and I bet it will happen before too long.

Can we also get a ~400 VDC bus for our tube audio gear?
I hear they are proposing a regulation that would limit use of tube audio gear to times when the temperature is below 50 degrees F.

It's just a joke guys. I am such a cheapskate, however, that I am still solid state.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 05-17-2011, 05:03 PM

If ya got all those tubes, then you don't need much lighting now do ya?
Old 05-17-2011, 05:14 PM
Area Man

Quote:
If ya got all those tubes, then you don't need much lighting now do ya?
Lighting, yes. Electric heat, no.

Used to own a set of Rogue M120 Monoblocks. In the dead of winter, those eight EH6550s would have us sweating in the living room.

Dave
Old 05-17-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
I hear they are proposing a regulation that would limit use of tube audio gear to times when the temperature is below 50 degrees F.

It's just a joke guys. I am such a cheapskate, however, that I am still solid state.

Regards,

D-Ray
So, then we get some fool on the Hill to try to outlaw anything built by Pass Labs...
Old 05-17-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:

If this move toward more energy efficient lighting is not important, do you think the government could have withstood the pressure from lobbyists? Advertising has encouraged excessive usage of energy for years. Advertising is just a more subtle means of directing people's behavior. It requires stronger measures to respond.

I changed to CFD's more than five years ago. Even though I use the average pay plan for my electric bill, it did not take long to notice the improvement. Our bill went down as the rates were going up. Got another big chunk of savings when we replaced our old heater and air conditioner with a heat pump and a three stage gas heater. With the regular rate increases, I would hate to see what our electric bill would be now.

The headline for the $50 light bulb just so much hyperbole. As the cited article shows, as the market expands, and technology improves, the price of the bulbs will drop.

Regards,

D-Ray
So we should leverage government regs to force the issue at the expense of US jobs? Also, it would appear the lobby was in favor of this.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/op-eds...s-factory-jobs

Last edited by whell; 05-17-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
So we should leverage government regs to force the issue at the expense of US jobs?
Without looking at the link, and even taking this quote totally out of context, I would say... "depends." Many issues, including energy consumption, are complex. Sometimes it may be appropriate to sacrifice some US jobs for the sake of the nation as a whole. On the other hand, actions that sacrifice US jobs simply to increase corporate profits and enrich the CEOs and stock market speculators should be vigorously discouraged through the use of public pressure, market pressure, and - where necessary - by regulation and tax policy.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Actually BlueStreak:

Some of my most treasured electronics are around thirty years old.

Dave