Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Off-topic

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:22 PM

Reading and Public Schools in Georgia

A note to anyone passionate about education. Please help my gambit:

I saw a story in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution with the title "Reading climbs priority ladder" and I saw an easy way to stir up debate.

Here's the piece I put in freerepublic--

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2777768/posts

I'm coming from a conservative or traditionalist perspective. Reading is really important. If you agree, then write/post/comment/blog/editorialize/agitate about this matter. Your Governor Deal is not aiming high enough. Georgia is settling for high illiteracy.

Bruce Deitrick Price
Old 09-13-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDPrice View Post
A note to anyone passionate about education. Please help my gambit:

I saw a story in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution with the title "Reading climbs priority ladder" and I saw an easy way to stir up debate.

Here's the piece I put in freerepublic--

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2777768/posts

I'm coming from a conservative or traditionalist perspective. Reading is really important. If you agree, then write/post/comment/blog/editorialize/agitate about this matter. Your Governor Deal is not aiming high enough. Georgia is settling for high illiteracy.

Bruce Deitrick Price
OMG Son, you're a card carrying member of the Free Republic???

You've just been regulated to lower than whale shit status in these parts.

I'd like to respond to your article, but I'm too tired.

Chas
Old 09-13-2011, 05:41 PM

Do It For The Children

I'm an education activist. I'm on 20 sites. I put things where i think or hope that the members will be open to new ideas. In fact, the people on FreeRepublic usually leave very smart comments. See for yourself.

Bruce Deitrick Price
Improve-Education.org
Old 09-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Loyal Opposition

I agree that education is an extremely important undertaking. It was sufficiently important to my family that we bought a home in the Shawnee Mission School District in Kansas.

I'm afraid, however, that a plea to Georgia citizens might get a feeble response here. I'm not aware of any regular posters who admit to living there.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-13-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceDPrice View Post
I'm an education activist. I'm on 20 sites. I put things where i think or hope that the members will be open to new ideas. In fact, the people on FreeRepublic usually leave very smart comments. See for yourself.

Bruce Deitrick Price
Improve-Education.org
Your site is certainly colorful. I also like your prose. Welcome to Politcal Chat. I read your first article and your bio page and found both interesting. I have read some freeper stuff, but much prefer keeping an on the opponents.

Last edited by bhunter; 09-13-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:38 PM

Thanks

Keep in mind that FreeRepublic is huge and my articles there go quickly to Google. Search engines in Georgia will pick up the state name, and editors will say, what's this...? That's the plan.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:53 PM
Jigsawed

All black areas suffer from what is called the "basketball syndrome": an inordinate amount of time and effort spent on sports. Everything else is affected including reading.

Last edited by Dondilion; 09-13-2011 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondilion View Post
All black areas suffer from what is called the "basketball syndrome": an inordinate amount of time and effort spent on sports. Everything else is affected including reading.
Emphasis on sports does not belong to any racial group. Check out the lily white suburbs in Texas and you're going to find some pretty crazy football boosters.

From studies I've seen, poor scores in primarily minority areas have much more to do with poverty than race (although poverty is more prevalent in minority neighborhoods). I was shocked to find out that half of the kids in the elementary school that my kids attended are from families eligible for low income assistance. This is a mostly white suburban neighborhood in an affluent county. The correlation between poverty and academic achievement shows there too. The reading and math scores were low, particularly for the Shawnee Mission School District.

Regards,

D-Ray
Old 09-14-2011, 06:47 AM

Futball, or any team sport, is probably the most important lesson taught in public skools.

You have a relatively few players who are blindly supported by the student body and community as a whole, with vast amounts of time, energy, and money being spend for the 60 minutes on Friday night.

The whole becomes as one, and develops an air of superiority which, no matter how shitty the home town town team actually is, still considers them to be the finest in the land.

It prepares one for a life of party politics, and to take his place as a tiny cog making the big wheel go around.

And any dumb ass who is stupid enough to point out that their chosen WR couldn't catch a ball even if you painted stripes on it will learn a practical lesson in the nail that sticks up gets hammered down.

Chas
Old 09-14-2011, 07:52 AM
Resident octogenarian

If you are really serious about getting children proficiency in reading and writing take away their cell phones.

Last edited by merrylander; 09-14-2011 at 08:18 AM.

Tags
cuss words, deal, literacy, nea, phonics, read