in keeping this site going.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Area Man

More on the NSA leaks.............

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...&dlvrit=992637

Comments?

Dave
Old 06-08-2013, 10:22 AM

I posted about the news thing I had seen years ago. It was this Room 641A http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_641A

So anyway, I gave up the idea that I or anybody else would ever have any real privacy if one used anything like a phone, computer, anything at all actually.
They have things on light poles that listen for bullets nowadays, surveillance cameras on main street, and now spy drones and you can even buy your own to spy on your neighbors.

Maybe I should get me one of them anonymous semi automatic assault rifles to shoot them down with.

Carl
Old 06-08-2013, 10:45 AM

Obama promised transparency. Now all of our lives are. A campaign promise kept?
Old 06-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Resident octogenarian

Our Freedom of Information Act, nothing like telling our enemies exactly what we do to track them down.

Meanwhile if you use a search engine it keeps a history of all the sites you visit, supposedly to assist you - yeah sure.

And all the feigned outrages continues.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Area Man

You can buy a spy drone at Walmart. Not as sophisticated as the ones the military uses, but, they do work................

My take on the whole NSA thing is this;

My guess is they are gathering so much information that 99.99999999999999% is noise that gets them nowhere. In fact, they are probably buried under it so deep that it is useless to them. They gather it faster than they can sort it.

Here we sit, nearly every day, talking trash about the government. I'm thinking if my government was really all that worried about anything I have to say that I'd be sitting in the gulag already.

Dave
Old 06-08-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeamOn View Post
A campaign promise kept?

in 2001?
Congress voted to go to war as Bush & Co. giving him power to do all sorts of war power things like invading 2 countries with no checks and balances, no bid MIC contracts, national security is another part and the list goes on.

So what should Obama do? Let Mr wikileaks dictate our national security and make Rupert put everything on the front page of his New York Post?

I think Obama is doing a fine job and at this point I do not think he can trust the GOP to do the right thing. He keeps extending a hand to them and they kick sand in his face then go on Fox News and say Obama won't work with them. It has been party before country like this since day one.
Not risking national security change at this time works for me.

Maybe if we minded our own business and concentrated on our own people and our own borders maybe this crap can just be laid to rest once a generation grown up without this mindset. We sure ain't going to change it with a flip of a switch.

Carl
Old 06-08-2013, 11:50 AM

We just need a little cyber-disobedience.
"Occupy NSA" if you will.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlV View Post
I posted about the news thing I had seen years ago. It was this Room 641A http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Room_641A

So anyway, I gave up the idea that I or anybody else would ever have any real privacy if one used anything like a phone, computer, anything at all actually.
They have things on light poles that listen for bullets nowadays, surveillance cameras on main street, and now spy drones and you can even buy your own to spy on your neighbors.

Maybe I should get me one of them anonymous semi automatic assault rifles to shoot them down with.

Carl
Privacy...ha!

As someone else pointed out, ever live in a small town. Ever been where sitting on the porch or in your easy chair with the police scanner running is nightly entertainment.....

Privacy indeed........
Old 06-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
You can buy a spy drone at Walmart. Not as sophisticated as the ones the military uses, but, they do work................

My take on the whole NSA thing is this;

My guess is they are gathering so much information that 99.99999999999999% is noise that gets them nowhere. In fact, they are probably buried under it so deep that it is useless to them. They gather it faster than they can sort it.
As I said earlier, I was the project engineer on a number of NSA and INSCOM (the Army subsidiary of NSA) projects in Germany. At one facility, they used a gigantic antenna array (~1500 feet in diameter) to record and triangulate armed forces radio transmission from the Warsaw Pact countries. Their high speed computers would sort the transmissions for those containing key words. These were analyzed by "Language Experts," servicemen who took intensive language training at the Defense Language Institute in Monterey.

I knew several of the German language "experts" who would analyze stuff from the former East Germany. Their German language skills were, at best, at a Kindergarten level. Really. They could barely speak beyond the words necessary to order a beer in a Gasthaus. I suspect that it isn't much different for those at the NSA when it comes to the myriad dialects of Arabic, Pashtun, Farsi, etc.

Keep in mind that this type of listening was happening for decades all over the globe by NSA and combined with human intel from the CIA. They still didn't predict the fall of the Soviet Union or the Berlin Wall.

Last edited by finnbow; 06-08-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:46 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasillaguy View Post
We just need a little cyber-disobedience.
"Occupy NSA" if you will.
Dude, they gather all of this "data", then bad stuff happens anyways. This tells me that they're unable to do much with it. Everybody is reacting like President Obama is personally digging around in each and every credit record, financial statement and phone conversation looking for something to screw each and all of us with.........

Really? That's billions of documents and conversations on a daily basis. Who in the heck has time for that and what would be the point anyways?

Call me crazy, but I think they're casting the net for the big fish. I don't think they're worried about what BlueStreak and Wasillaguy are bitching about this afternoon.

Dave

Last edited by BlueStreak; 06-08-2013 at 12:49 PM.