Political Forums  

Go Back   Political Forums > Current events

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:01 AM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
These days, often I find myself wandering around in the basement for a half an hour before I remember why I went down there.
Go back to where you were. Then you'll remember.

'Course that doesn't mean you won't forget again by the time you get back down in the basement again....
Old 02-15-2015, 12:02 PM
Resident octogenarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post

'Course that doesn't mean you won't forget again by the time you get back down in the basement again....

That is why the sticky note was invented.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:45 PM
AKA Sister Mary JJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I forgot where I put the pen!
Old 02-16-2015, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrylander View Post
I forgot I put in on my forehead.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
What if I can't remember where I was?
Old 02-16-2015, 12:32 PM
Persona non grata

The Lynching of Sureshbhai Patel

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-je...b_6675652.html

Quote:
The video is horrific. Madison, Alabama police officer Eric Parker slammed Sureshbhai Patel into the ground hard enough to paralyze him. There was a time when lynchings were carried out by mobs. Now, we have created a much more formal process of carrying out violence against oppressed and marginalized people. Badges and uniforms are handed out so that those we place in authority can intimidate and repress those that we think are less worthy of life. The temptation is to say that Eric Parker is an animal and dismiss the entire situation. The truth is that Eric Parker was simply doing what we paid him to do.

The dirty secret about the attack on Sureshbhai Patel is that a homeowner called in and reported him as, "...a skinny black guy, he's got a toboggan on, he's really skinny." There was also an ominous report that he was getting close to a garage. The police showed up quickly for "a skinny black guy" in a white neighborhood close to a garage. These are racist thoughts perpetuated in white neighborhoods around our nation every day. The police first thought they were going after a black man.

Upon arrival, Officer Parker realized Patel did not speak English. Instead of having patience, Officer Parker grew more aggressive. How many times does this same situation play out over and over again throughout our nation? People who are unable to understand and speak English are treated like shit. What makes us think that our language is superior to every other language on earth? The truth of the matter is that the only language that our whole nation is fluent in is the language of violence and oppression. Officer Parker simply played out the way that we treat immigrants all the time...we push them around, treat them with suspicion and tell them to go home. What began as racism, turned into xenophobia and ended up in a crime of hate.

Ever since I heard about the story, I have not stopped praying for Sureshbhai Patel. When I told a religious friend of mine how concerned I was about this story, I was chastised, "If he is Hindu, then you need to first and foremost pray for his salvation." Who the hell is going to pray for our salvation? We are an evil, intolerant and oppressive people in desperate need of an antidote. The first step of recovery is admitting you have a problem. For the love of God, can we please stop and admit that we need help?
Old 02-16-2015, 01:30 PM
Sir Lord Vader of Cheam

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeke
1. Picture painted before police involvement.
2. English language is not necessary to understand compliance.
3. It got ugly.

Any one of the three things above, done differently, would have likely netted a different result.

What's the EASIEST one? "Comply."

The best one is, likely, Number Two.

The first one is going to be most difficult, in AL.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Banned

Pray for his salvation. No wonder this country is so fucked up. It never changes with the Christians. It's no different from back in the slave days when the slaves were taught all about how Christianity actually works. Listen...you're a slave...it's no big deal. This life doesn't matter, it's all about the next life. So be a good slave, don't start any trouble and when this miserable shit life is over, in the next life you will rejoice in the glory of the Lord forever.

Pray for his salvation...go fuck yourself.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike Bana View Post
Pray for his salvation...go fuck yourself.
It's worth noting, I suppose, that the author is a Baptist minister.

John
Old 02-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Ready

This life is but an instant, but determinative of what happens to the soul for all eternity. I can't imagine why a Christian who believes this would devote any effort whatsoever to anything but salvation.