in keeping this site going.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:53 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

The new Surge of private contractors.

I thought this was bad bad bad.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmem...udy.php?ref=mp

Pete
Old 12-16-2009, 03:44 PM

Yeah, it's bad, really bad, but on a percentage basis it's actually not as bad as it was under Bush. Rumsfeld started this huge reliance on contractors and the result is our military is so "bare bones" that now we have to rely on them to conduct operations. Did you know that Xe, formerly Blackwater, has its own navy and air force?

What I worry most about is all the Special Ops personnel we have operating in Pakistan and Iran. It's known that a large percentage of those people are mercenaries but, because of the clandestine nature of the ops, we don't know how many people are there or what they're up to. We do know, however, that in some cases the mercs are running their own operations, apparently without the participation of or the supervision from government personnel.

John

Last edited by Boreas; 12-16-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:05 AM
Area Man

Yep. Isn't that the tune Americas right wing marches to, the privatization of EVERYTHING? Just imagine what lies ahead, guys, a military no longer under the control of democratically elected officials. The worlds most powerful military force, under the control of corporate executives, with a mind of it's own, accountable to no one. I wonder how long it will be before these people decide that our right to vote is just a pain in the ass that they will no longer tolerate? Where will all of our freedom loving, forefather quoting conservative friends be then? I guess that's when we find out just how much they really do value the principles upon which this nation was founded, Huh?

This is the "unwarranted influence" that I worry about. "Influence"? Hell, at that point the bastards have taken over. And America would truly become a fascist state.

Kinda scary, Eh?

Dave
Old 12-17-2009, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post

This is the "unwarranted influence" that I worry about. "Influence"? Hell, at that point the bastards have taken over. And America would truly become a fascist state.

Kinda scary, Eh?

Dave

Aint that what we got today ?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Area Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Aint that what we got today ?
Well, kinda, yes. The government still has regulatory power at present, as corrupt as it may be. They (The Corporatocracy) bitches about it constantly.

I'm waiting for the day it becomes blatant. The day a "private army" just marches off to war totally without the consent, or even at the protest, of Congress and/or the President. And I don't think it's much of a stretch to see that coming. Haven't we already seen "private contractors" acting without consulting the regular military in Iraq and Afghanistan?

I'm sorry, but when it comes to something as important as fighting a war, I believe privatization is a terrible mistake. Private contractors should be limited to the manufacture of hardware and other "non-combatant" functions, PERIOD. I'm all for "...a well regulated militia...", Grumpy. But I am totally against one that grows a mind of it's own and starts carrying out acts of war without the knowledge or consent of our elected officials.

Have a Great Day!

Dave
Old 12-17-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Well, kinda, yes. The government still has regulatory power at present, as corrupt as it may be. They (The Corporatocracy) bitches about it constantly.
The regulatory power of the government has been seriously degraded in recent decades. When you have lobbyists "consulting" with Congress to draft legislation there's not much likelihood of meaningful regulation. When you have former industry executives in charge of regulatory agencies there's not much chance of legitimate enforcement of such regulation as exists.

Quote:
I'm waiting for the day it becomes blatant. The day a "private army" just marches off to war totally without the consent, or even at the protest, of Congress and/or the President. And I don't think it's much of a stretch to see that coming. Haven't we already seen "private contractors" acting without consulting the regular military in Iraq and Afghanistan?
We've already seen Blackwater patrolling the streets of New Orleans after "Hurricane Corrina". It has been alleged that they were even using deadly force.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but when it comes to something as important as fighting a war, I believe privatization is a terrible mistake. Private contractors should be limited to the manufacture of hardware and other "non-combatant" functions, PERIOD.
I think security functions might be okay, things like personal security for State Department personnel or embassy guards, but no tactical stuff at all.

Quote:
I'm all for "...a well regulated militia...", Grumpy. But I am totally against one that grows a mind of it's own and starts carrying out acts of war without the knowledge or consent of our elected officials.
Well, the thing is, we're not dealing with a militia at all, well-regulated or otherwise. What we have with Xe, Custer-Battles, Dynecorp and the lot are mercenaries, plain and simple.

John
Old 12-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Yep. Isn't that the tune Americas right wing marches to, the privatization of EVERYTHING?
Apparently the current Dems are too.

Pete
Old 12-17-2009, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Pete
X 11,000,000,000,000
Old 12-17-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piece-itpete View Post

Pete
Seriously? What do you expect them to do? Wave a magic wand?

I can see it now "you're all just going to have to pay more taxes because the Republicans screwed it all up". True enough, but probably not going to get anyone elected.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Possibly admin. Maybe ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Seriously? What do you expect them to do? Wave a magic wand?
Hire even more mercenaries?

Pete