The Road From Oslo

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/d...eams-of-peace/

From 2002 time frame.
Old 11-11-2023, 04:22 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_picking

This thread is chock full of it.
Old 11-11-2023, 04:40 PM
Ready

Just keep telling yourself that, Mark. Isn't there an equal and opposite fallacy? Cherry-throwing, one might call it?
Old 11-11-2023, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquixote99 View Post
Just keep telling yourself that, Mark. Isn't there an equal and opposite fallacy? Cherry-throwing, one might call it?
There ya go DQ.
Old 11-14-2023, 04:21 PM
Ready

The following, apparently copied down from X, showed up on another board Sunday. I copy it here because:
1) I approve this message
2) I think people here will find the writing style very familiar!
Quote:
David Simon (who wrote The Wire) posted this on X the other day:

“Time for bed and I've wasted a day arguing with seemingly every useless, part-of-the-problem, I-know-half-of-this-story shitmonger on this hellscape of a platform, and by that I mean every mook who thinks you can rationalize the barbarism of Hamas, or every scrote who thinks that the affront of the settlement policy and the increasing ruthlessness of the West Bank settlement policy is anything but a disaster for any peace process, or every submoron who thinks Jew or Arab, Israeli or Palestinian has a clean, clear purchase on this complicated history, or that either side can ever wash itself clean of complicity in trying to avoid the inevitable reality, that two wounded peoples need to share a land, that some portion will be a Jewish homeland for another 75 years, but not unless there is corresponding statehood for Palestine, and that any festering shitbag ideological rage-harvesting liar who wants to pretend that all this hate and violence will drive 9 million Jews into the sea or make their Semitic brethren ever concede that their national aspirations will not be realized, is simply another cell on a long, metastasizing cancer that devours innocent lives, well, add your trollery, anger and singular, one-sided imaginings to this thread and come morning, I'll wipe you all clean in one devoted burst of blockage. You're no good to anyone -- Israeli or Palestinian, Arab or Jew. You're just another small part of the great heaving, clogging fistula of shit that bars the way to the only plausible future that isn't caked in blood and gore. **** Hamas. **** Netanyahu. **** the Iranians. **** the settlers. **** everyone ready to monologue on one half of this long, ornate, tragic tale of a half century or more while magically forgetting every last shard of your brother's half. You will share the same narrative, and begin at least to contemplate the whole tale and everyone's shared complicity, or you will keep preaching to your rancid, rote-brained choirs and bleed together for another few generations. You will either learn to share the land, to cede some fair measure of a shared future or you will, every useless, hate-engorged squib on every side of this horror, learn to bleed into the same gutter. If you think you come away clean from your history, your religion, your ideology, you are a fool and you will never begin the long march back from hell. And there are so many of you assholes that, admittedly, it will be a long road indeed. But honestly, in the name of Yahweh and Allah both, and Christ himself if he's fool enough to show up, go **** yourself to hell if you seriously think that you know enough to claim to be with anyone clean in this maelstrom. In the very claim, in your hunger to be singularly right and to have the other soul be singularly wrong, you reveal your amoral greed, your ahistorical stupidity and your corrupted, empty soul. **** you all. And to those remainder with the capacity to think in human-scale complexities and never let go of anyone's human spirit, I'll see you tomorrow when maybe I'll write exactly what I mean and we can coherently discuss. And, conversely, that everyone with anger, hate and cheap certainty in their soul is ever angry at me in equal measure, because again, you assholes at both extremes holding all of us and peace itself by the throat, can eat an overstuffed bag of stale, unsalted dicks. You're useless to any actual solution ever. You are the ****ing problem. And that is enough sincerity for one man on the end of a bad day.”
Old 11-14-2023, 04:39 PM
Admin

Nice to see the National Mall today. Fuck Hamas.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md...national-mall/

Last edited by bobabode; 11-14-2023 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-14-2023, 05:15 PM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
The following, apparently copied down from X, showed up on another board Sunday. I copy it here because:
David Simon is close to the only reason to be on Twitter anymore. And he's exactly right on this issue.
Old 11-14-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Since you approve this message, perhaps you could distill this screed to a single sentence? Not sure I can even tell what the hell this guy is trying to say, except that he’s angry and that a bunch of people are *wrong*.

Enlighten me, please. Seriously.
Old 11-14-2023, 05:29 PM
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post
Since you approve this message, perhaps you could distill this screed to a single sentence? Not sure I can even tell what the hell this guy is trying to say, except that he’s angry and that a bunch of people are *wrong*.

I can distill it down to one word - peace, goddammit. Well, four words technically.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:09 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Human View Post

These two sentences from it, addressing the angry war-makers on both sides, are the main idea:

"You will either learn to share the land, to cede some fair measure of a shared future or you will, every useless, hate-engorged squib on every side of this horror, learn to bleed into the same gutter. If you think you come away clean from your history, your religion, your ideology, you are a fool and you will never begin the long march back from hell."

There's a little more poetry, and some confusion in it--he's addressing both the loudmouths on both sides on X, and the two sides generally--but the idea is basically that seeking vengeance, domination, and victory, on either side, with achieve only more generations of horror.